POG2 - Pitchfactor Questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteelyDannyBoy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. SteelyDannyBoy

SteelyDannyBoy Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious to hear from any of you who have/have had the EHX POG2 and Eventide Pitchfactor. While I'm quite aware that the Pitchfactor has many more options available, I was wondering if it will approximate some of the POG2's settings, such as cathedral organ, 'cello, 12 string guitar, etc.
    (I play pedal steel exclusively, and surprised the sound man on a gig, when he knew there was no keyboard but suddenly heard an organ).
    I presently own the Modfactor and SPACE pedals, and while I'm not necessarily planning on a 3d Eventide stompbox, they do have so many options, and sound very fine!
    Thank you.

2. konstantine

konstantine Member

I have both the POG2 and the PF, I think they sound different enought and cover different grounds to justify keeping both.

3. SteelyDannyBoy

I only own the POG2; I'm considering the possibility of getting a Pitchfactor.
    I can see that they might indeed both be worth having, Konstantine; I don't have room for both, so I'm just wondering how closely the Pitchfactor can mimic POG2 sounds.

4. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

I am a big Eventide fan, bought the PitchFactor when it came out.

But I was a little disappointed that I could never get THAT Pog sound .... I ended up getting a Pog2.

Love the PitchFactor, but could never get the Pog organ sound out of it... But it does plenty of other cool stuff.

5. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Does the pitch facto handle chords?

6. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

I used to have a POG2 and now own a Pitchfactor. The PF obviously does a lot more in general. I haven't tried to replicate the POG, and I haven't fully explored all the functions of the PF (I've had it for like 2 years, lol) , but I'm pretty sure the shifting in the PF is all monophonic, so chords don't really work very well.

7. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

It depends on the algorithm, some are mono and some handle simple chords I.e. two or three note chords, but I could never get anything like the POG tracking of chords... Also the PF sounds more natural in the shifting where as the POG sounds funkier... In a good or less natural way.

Love both devices, but they are very different beasts

8. konstantine

konstantine Member

You cannot really duplicate the sounds of the POG2 with the PF, the whole charachter of these units is very different and therefore even with "similar" settings, the sounds are far from being similar.

Even for a simple 1-octave down setting, the PF has a different sound and vibe compared to the POG2, imagine how different it would sound if would attempt to do organ, cello etc.

If you like and need your POG2 sounds and you cant have both units, keep the POG2.

9. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

If you just want the Organ / 12 String sounds... How about a MicroPOG and a PItchFactor? Would that fit?

10. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I've had both boxes. I think that if you're going specifically for organ/12-string, the POG2 is for you. It does a nice 12 string if you lower the octave's gain+filter, raise the attack slightly, and detune. It clearly does the organ sounds well + has that cool attack/filter/q control (detune is cool, but easily replicated).

The Pitchfactor does indeed sound more natural (although not prefect) and can pull off a nice 12 string with (again) proper gain and a little delay in the shift. The other side is that I don't think you can get those synthetic sounds that the POG line produces to create those organs that you're after. Chromatic shifting is pretty cool, though.

11. SteelyDannyBoy

As always, I am grateful I can find serious, thoughtful replies to my generally basic questions. Thank you for all the info.
    The Micro POG naturally doesn't offer as many options, and may or may not nail the "cathedral organ" like the POG2, but it's not something I'd considered previously.
    So many toys, such limited room....

brennanmcnally likes this.