Poickup Suggestions for a Tele Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trumpus, Feb 19, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I've got a '90 Tele Deluxe and i'd to swap out the current pickups for something a little more "Vintage Tele" sounding. Right now, it's got a blue Lace sensor SC at the neck and 2 red Lace Sensor SC's at the bridge set up as a humbucker with a coil tap/phaser 3 way toggle. I have never really been happy with these pickups. When I have the humbucker selected, the output volume when the coil is tapped is almost inaudable!

[​IMG]

I would like to swap these out for another SC at the neck and either a humbucker or 2 SC at the bridge (is this even possible?). I would like the keep the coil tap if possible. I am looking to get a more twangy, jangly, vintage tele tone out of this. I know the humbucker is not ideal, butt here's what i've got to work with!

ANyone got any suggestions?

Brian

2. trumpus

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

hmm... I'm not familiar with this specific model Fender, but I'd suggest looking at the Fralin Unbucker for the bridge and Vintage Hot for the neck (assuming a strat pickup will fit). It won't jangle as much as a real tele pickup, but should sound good. You could also try to fit a traditional tele pickup into the bridge slot if that's the tone you're going for, but I don't think you're going to get true vintage tele twang with that bridge. Not to say it won't sound good, just not traditional tele in the truest sense.

4. trumpus

Sweet - i'll look into those suggestions....

...anyone got any others?

Brian

5. trumpus

Bump - anyone else? There has to be some tele players here that could suggest a set of replacement pickups, no?

I really am clueless when it comes to pickups - i don't really even know what's available! I have heard that Kinmans or Fralins are good quality. Any other ideas? Would i be able to squeeze a realy humbucker into that bridge spot or would i need 2 single coils wired with coil taps again?

Any help would be great!!

Brian

6. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Brian

I had that same guitar (only in a blueburst and with a trem), with the same Lace Sensor pickup configuration as yours, and I felt the exact same way about them as you do. Therefore, I yanked out the LSs and the electronics and put in 2 Rio Grande Tallboys (Strat) in the neck and middle positions and a SD Alnico Pro II humbucker in the bridge. I could have kept the toggle switch and kept the coil tap but I opted not to. I also swapped out the 3-way Tele switch for a 5-way Strat switch, and also bought a new control plate (w/o the toggle switch hole) and had the pickguard routed for the Tallboy in the middle. It sounded awesome!
    Here's what it looked like after the mods...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, after a few years I changed the pickup configuration yet again to 2 HB-size P-90s and back to a 3-way switch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few months ago I ended up trading this Tele for a CIJ '50s Tele with a Bigsby. Maybe I should've held onto the Deluxe but I never quite "bonded" with it.

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

You can put something vintage in the neck but the bridge is set up for a humbucker.

If you want a humbucker that splits pretty well, Anderson makes some good ones and you have a choice of strength. But there is a whole rainbow of humbucker choices.

Another way to go would be to get a P-90 in humbucker form factor in the bridge. There are a variety of these out there, and my favorite is by Fralin.

Finally, if you want an interesting spin on vintage, TV Jones TVtron or TVTron plus is an idea for your bridge.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Isn't that a Deluxe Tele? A Tele Deluxe looks more like this...
    [​IMG]

9. Doodad

Doodad Member

I was about to say, my tele deluxe from 73 looks nothing like that. Stat neck, diff body, and humbuckers.

10. trumpus

I think i mistyped, and it should have said Tele Plus.

The problem is - when i bought this guitar 7 years ago, it was labeled as a "Tele Plus Ultra" and i never bothered to find out what it really was, until i asked a similar question to this thread on the Fender board last year, and was informed that there was no such thing as a Tele Plus ultra and that this was a Tele plus (the deluxe having a trem).

Sorry - my question, however, still stays the same...pickup suggestions? I'd prefer not to rout this guitar for another pickup in the middle, and if I could fit a humbucker into the bridge slot without too much alteration, that would be ideal!!

Brian

Brian