• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

pointy or non pointy of pick?

Snottyboy

About 5 years ago, I started using the back shoulder of the pick because I liked how it sounded. You get more scratch and wind into each note... Now I literally cant play with the point anymore. Gone... poof... 20+ years of point pick guy vanished. AND I can play faster... So that's cool right?
Basically my exact experience.

Snottyboy

I’m using a Dunlop jazz3. What pick do u recommend I try
I'll tell you...I have a few different picks in rotation depending on what response I want. One that I really like is the Dunlop 207. Softer response, but it just works. I would say that's my main pick now. I also like D'andrea Pro Plecs...a couple different shapes and sizes. Again, soft response. I do also have a few V-picks for brighter response...medium round is nice and not overly expensive. I tend not to use any pick thinner than 1.5mm.

saltbird

I use the rounded part.
Gives a different sound, less attack, less topend, rolls of the string easier...
It also makes notes sound fatter/chunkier which is what I like about it. I don't notice a whole lot of difference in top-end but it definitely softens the edge on the note attack.

Ideally I think it's best to learn how to use a pick both ways by rotating it for different applications, essentially as an additional tone control. I do this, but over time I have noticed a preference for using the shoulder, or the rounded part as some put it.

silhouette666

It really depends how you play. I gave up on alternate picking years ago and never found legato to be the complete answer and now play with a hybrid technique that uses what seems necessary at any given time, including the other right hand fingers.. It seems to me a more expressive approach, well also given that I struggled with alternate picking as an expressive way of playing and my consistency with the technique. I also use the Dunlop Flow picks as they are not too pointy and bright. Really pointy picks can overly emphasise notes in a hybrid approach. Also I find the Jazz 111 sounds slightly grainy to me owing to the texture of the plastic composite.

neastguy

It really depends how you play. I gave up on alternate picking years ago and never found legato to be the complete answer and now play with a hybrid technique that uses what seems necessary at any given time, including the other right hand fingers.. It seems to me a more expressive approach, well also given that I struggled with alternate picking as an expressive way of playing and my consistency with the technique. I also use the Dunlop Flow picks as they are not too pointy and bright. Really pointy picks can overly emphasise notes in a hybrid approach. Also I find the Jazz 111 sounds slightly grainy to me owing to the texture of the plastic composite.
I"d say my goal is to play in the Vein of someone like Guthrie Trapp ..lol so while he is fast when he wants to be.. I dont really consider him a shredder

Guitardave

+1 Alternate picking has a certain sound but it's just one technique.

Over the years of working on my phrasing I've let go of a lot of preconceptions of what is "best" and now just focus on what I hear coming out of the speaker. I often bury the pick and use my thumb, fingers, combinations with the pic - change location on the string (another huge tone changing technique). Most of the time I don't really think about it anymore and just shift hand/pick/technique without realizing it. It's like using strict downstrokes on your picking - it just has a certain sound and vibe to it. Same with sweep, legato, hybrid, etc.

I'll have to try the Flow picks sometime. The Ultex 1.0 on the shoulder are a good balance to the tone I get from my fingers in hybrid picking. But I like using the point just as much especially for rhythm....

jay42

I find that teardrop picks tend to rotate while I'm playing, so given the choice, I use triangles. Obviously, there are top flight guitarists who use the rounded side...or coins.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I use a Nick Lucas shaped black Gibson Heavy pick, but I use only the rounded shoulder of the pick, never the point.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Non pointy. I dull the point on 90% of the picks I buy. I do not use the hips.

RRfireblade

Pointy. I feel I can get more 'bite', which I like. But speed requires more precision when putting the 2 together. (Which I also like)

Jeremy_Green

I’m using a Dunlop jazz3. What pick do u recommend I try
I started using the shoulder while using Jazz III XL's, it was great for a bunch of years. Then I switched to the Tortex yellows (.73mm) and I liked them even better - which is again odd for me, because I was a 'rock solid pick disciple' since Ah Via Musicom came out! I regularly switch picks or just buy a handful of different one because they are so cheap and one day these yellows just stuck. I find the thinness actually gives a little more grind in the tone (and awesome for pick scrapes!) because the thinner edge digs into the wind more. But the flex is nice and it has a real percussive snappiness that I am really digging.

Just goes to show - change things up once in a while along the way. Just because it has worked for you doesn't mean it will always stay that way. As your technique evolves, it makes sense that your equipment should too to strive to bring out the best in what you do well.

$tratcat

I started using the butt end of the Jazz-style picks (thick gold Ultex version or the Primetone Jazz) a few years back, but have been experimenting with mandolin picks and are starting to like the sound and feel of them. I tend to rotate pick usage quite a bit

1603212613025.png

BillyO

Pointy end never worked for me

I tried going from heavy picks to light picks and still didn’t like it

then I started using jazz iii on the rounded corners, which works great for me

if I’m doing nothing but strumming I will often use the backside which sounds even smoother

sonhenry

pointy end, but with a disclaimer that I use three 2mm picks glued together and shaped a bit. it's not really all that pointy..

Trending Topics