Poison (band) 40 years later

Ampedusa

I saw them twice in the 80’s opening for other bands. They just weren’t my cup of tea. My wife on the other hand loves them, her favorite band. Any time Bret Michaels comes to town I have to go. I’ll give him credit, he’s a very positive, up guy. His voice isn’t ruined and he puts on a good show. I’m just not into the music but I love my wife and go and film stuff for her.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
CC is the talent in that band. The rest are mediocre. Yet, I like them.

But man, shake up the set. They’ve been doing the same set for 40 years.

I looked up a show in 2018 because I was curious if they ever "shake up the set". I've only seen them once and I don't remember the set, but I think you're correct, they've been doing much of the same material, though some different tunes get slipped in. Here's the 2018 set:

SetList: 01 - Look What the Cat Dragged in 02 - I Want Action 03 - Ride the Wind 04 - Talk Dirty to me 05 - Something to Believe in 06 - Your Mama Don't Dance 07 - C.C. Deville Guitar Solo 08 - Fallen Angel 09 - Unskinny Bop 10 - Rikky Rockett Drum Solo 11 - Bobby Dall Bass Solo 12 - Every Rose Has Its Thorn 13 - Nothin' But A Good Time 14 - Rock 'n' Roll All Nite

Bankston

I hated Poison as a kid. But I've seen them a couple of times and they put on a great show both times.

I've opened for Brett with his solo band a couple of times and he is a very nice and cool dude.

My drummer plays in a Poison tribute band and they've got all the gigs they can handle, including touring dates.

Matt Dillon

My sister-in-law is an ER Doctor in Brooklyn. Obviously she’s seen a lot of trauma, gunshot wounds, etc.
she was never a Poison fan but she and her husband saw them a few years ago. She told me how great they were, it was so much fun, they put on a great show.
Made me think a bit how music can be entertainment for a lot of people

j_el_jee

I skimmed the vid - never thought I'd really have positive things to say about this band but they sounded pretty good and look like they're having (nothing but) a good time. Great for these guys. Who'd have thought that Poison (of all those glam-rock bands) would make it to 30 years after the heyday with the original members intact.

Also reminded me of a Kirk Hammett interview I read wayyy back then where he commented on Poison saying "well for not being able to play very good, they sure have a lot of guitars"...

…perhaps the tables have turned, Kirk.

Last edited:

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
I skimmed the vid - never thought I'd really have positive things to say about this band but they sounded pretty good and look like they're having (nothing but) a good time. Great for these guys. Who'd have thought that Poison (of all those glam-rock bands) would make it to 30 years after the heyday intact.

Also reminded me of a Kirk Hammett interview I read wayyy back then where he commented on Poison saying "well for not being able to play very good, they sure have a lot of guitars"... perhaps the tables have turned, Kirk.

C.C >>> Kirk IMO. Bet C.C. could handle the Metallica lead guitar role with no problem.

MuzicToyz

I think they sort of delegitimized themselves with being the poster child for "drag queen rock". Stellar songs, great singing and guitar playing, and a big "Nervana" target on their back.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I lived in SoCal when Poison was still playing on the strip. I remember when their first album came out. The band competition was fierce and there was a lot of hate & jealousy for any band that got signed back then but it was especially strong for Poison for obvious reasons.

I had never seen them live but after The Cat Dragged In was released the played a 3 bill show with Cinderella, Poison and Loudness as the headliner. Cinderella opened and were good.
Then Poison came out and they got a lot of boos but man, I was blown away. They had the show, stage presence and confidence of a band that knew they were going to be big. They ignored the boos and rocked the place. Also, the sound quality was a lot better than Cinderella and Loudness. The guitar was front & center and had a raw aggressiveness that really cut through.

At one point CC was ripping through a solo and stopped playing. He came up to the mic and yelled, "Damn guitar went out of tune" and he took it off and threw it across the stage and bounced off to the side. His tech ran another one to him and he put it on and continued ripping away. Total rebellious Rock & Roll.

I remember Brett mentioning in an interview years ago that when you come to a Poison concert you hear the band, not a bunch of backing tracks. Not sure if that's still the case but the little bit of the OP's video I watched sounded really good. Not only that, they all look good. Looks like they've been taking care of themselves.

Spooky Action

I used to write CC off because his tone was SO buzzy tinny. He is not the greatest player (he can play, I know he is highly trained, but that is not his schtick), but he is a sideshow player. And being slagged by Hammett is a joke of the highest order.
He is a real Nigel Tufnel soloist and it's the truth, BUT, they are a parody band and the original Steel Panther before it was a joke. They went bigger, larger, more, More, MORE on the formula.

I hated it as a kid at the time. I saw them open for David Lee Roth on the Skyscraper tour (I think) and my friends thought they were better than DLR. I thought that was crazy, but the crowd was more into Poison than DLR too.
They really connected to their audience and actually maintained their ability to rock and deliver much better than most of their peers. Crue and Ratt can't do it vocally. Of course Bret Michaels is more of a baritone, but Pearcy and Vince Neal could actually bring it down a few keys.

Top Bottom