Poison (band) 40 years later

taez555

Flesh and Blood was the first CD I ever bought with my own money. :)

Interestingly enough I just bought an original pressing of it on Vinyl last week.

I'm probably one of only 10 people who bought their live Double album when it came out. I remember being in awe of CC's solo section, only to listen to EVH do the exact same thing a year later and realize CC stole almost all of it from Eddie.
:)

Oh CC.

That being said... I really do think CC is one of the best guitarists, or at least most underrated and hated who doesn't deserve it, of the past 40 years.

Was his playing coke fueled and messy? Of course it was.

It was also memorable. He wrote catchy singable solos. That also had flash and balls and charisma. He didn't always play the right notes, or in time, but there was passion behind every note.

Like David Gilmore or Hendrix's melodies with EVH's or 80's shred flash and then a crap ton of Ace Freely and Joe Walsh's personality.

He kinda had it all, and sadly too many people write him off because it wasn't perfect.

Well, it's not supposed to be. It's freakin rock and roll.

The solo to "Life Goes On" is still my all time favorite guitar solo.

mikebat

I suffered through seeing them open for the DLR band, back on the Eat 'Em and Smile tour. They sucked.

I once saw them on some awards show, back in their era, and CC DeVille had by far the worst mosquito tone I had heard in the era.

I never liked them, I think their songs are simple and juvenile, devoid of guts of any kind. They are a bad version of Back Street Boys, BTS -other with a rock band line up.

On the other hand, I am happy for them that they still do what they do, make music and make people (not me) happy. There is no debate, they are extremely successful overall.

moore-fiend

I like ‘em….If I were CC, Brett “singing” during the guitar solo would be annoying. Check out the last song…

taez555

Remember when Bret Michaels did that Bus of Love show on MTV. 40 skanky girls on a bus with Bret all looking for a rock star sugar daddy(aka love) pretending no one notices Bret's bandana hiding his receding hair line.

God that was quality reality TV.

Or how about when Blues Saraceno was the guitarist in Poison for like a week in 1996? A amazing guitarist who's style was just wrong for the band. He was almost a worse fit than Richie.

There's just something about CC that's hard to replicate.

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
I just can not get into them, even though I like many bands of that genre that came out of that era. Maybe it's Bret Michael's voice. Maybe the songs. I can't quite pinpoint why I don't like them.

I am seeing the stadium tour in a few weeks, not sure what I am going to do to kill time during the Poison set.
With so little live music the last couple years...maybe it might be worth watching Poison live. Maybe you'll change your mind.

BG7

Poison got off early on the wrong foot with the 70’s music crowd. Their first album sound like the Archies with Cheap Trick and Kiss riffs, and it was obvious they couldn’t harmonize so they all just shouted a monotone. (like many no talent bands of that time, I’m looking at you Crue…)

Poison was built from an insecure guitar player, a pedestrian drummer, and two posers who wanted to look and play the part. The glitz of rock & roll was making a mockery of itself by that time, there was zero creativity, zero musical identity, nothing new but hairspray, makeup, and men acting prissy.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
That being said... I really do think CC is one of the best guitarists, or at least most underrated and hated who doesn't deserve it, of the past 40 years.

Who hates CC Deville? If anything he is just thought of as a junkie - but Hated - I don't think so.

Cedar

Platinum Supporting Member
What freaking meatheads.

Big, dumb, obvious...the quintessential LA Glam Metal Band.

They're like the Hot Topic of bands or something.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
I found this video on YouTube of the Kotzen era of Poison: Ritchie Kotzen with Poison

Guitar George

that is pretty dang cool. Ritchie elevated them musically very much.

As far as them being part of "untalented man girls" movement (thank you TGP, lol), it is interesting to review where glam rock originated. I read some good articles, but I think this one is pretty informative:

https://msmokemusic.com/blogs/mind-smoke-blog/posts/a-brief-history-of-glam-rock

hey can I call my next band "Bob and the untalented man girls"?

silentbob

Never loved them, but they were fun. As has been mentioned, some of CCs solo phrases are more memorable than the lyrics of the songs. Sometimes it's ok to have some musical junk food.

Ampedusa

Music (rock) became instrumental athletics rather than art. They weren’t writing “Over the hills and far away” or “Baba O’riley” or ….

They weren’t creative. They weren’t artists. They were mangirl rock jocks ripping off simplistic Kiss riffs and calling it “nothing but a good time”… which is quite possibly the pinnacle culmination of vapid hair band songwriting.

Poison got off early on the wrong foot with the 70’s music crowd. Their first album sound like the Archies with Cheap Trick and Kiss riffs, and it was obvious they couldn’t harmonize so they all just shouted a monotone. (like many no talent bands of that time, I’m looking at you Crue…)

Poison was built from an insecure guitar player, a pedestrian drummer, and two posers who wanted to look and play the part. The glitz of rock & roll was making a mockery of itself by that time, there was zero creativity, zero musical identity, nothing new but hairspray, makeup, and men acting prissy.

Show me on the doll where Poison touched you.

That's my understanding.
I think that's not really what happened. That's just what they told the press.
I think the girl was Rikki's ex, not his girlfriend.
Also, he wasn't just fooling around. I am pretty sure he married her.
At least, this is how I heard it.

Dead Parrot

I remember buying Look What the Cat Dragged In when I was in 7th grade - same day I bought License to Ill. Odd pairing…

Anyways, I seem to remember a clip at some point in time where Bobbi was talking about all the flak they caught and how he never even aspired to be a musician. He just wanted to be a rock star. I’d say he did ok, all things considered.

Lution

Show me on the doll where Poison touched you.

on the Bobby Doll?

bobby-dall-of-poison.jpg

gonzoknife

My main Poison memory is an insane and pretty horrible boss once insisting Poison were better songwriters than the Beatles. That’s not what made her insane and horrible but it fit her personality.

Gitarman

Caught the 'Stadium Tour' in Orlando this past Sunday... Poison was probably the most energetic and engaging of the bunch. Musically and visually, I'd definitely give the night to Def Leppard (who sounded amazing), but Poison gave a GREAT show. Joan Jet still sounds great and also put on a good show (despite an apparent issue during an acoustic song where I'm guessing the lead guitarist couldn't hear & lost his way). Motley Crue... was unfortunate. I felt genuinely bad for Vince.

strumminsix

Loved them in the 80s, they put out some good albums, and then I started to drift from hard rock to jambands. But I've watched their vids a few times over the years and they still bring it. All still have their chops and energy and entertain the crap outta people!!! Not many bands can do those for 40 years. Bravo to them!!! I'm jealous :) wish I could bring that level of energy and pack rooms all the time, LOL!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom