Polarity/Phase switch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Occam

Occam Member

Before I get a lecture on the difference between the two that'll I'll completely ignore ;) can someone tell me if there is a box I can use to switch them so when I run two amps in stereo they'll play nicely together? I noticed that my recorded tone was a bit thin and then I switched the phase button on a preamp with one of the mics and it all sounded huge. I think my tone is pretty big sounding in the room but it would be nice to have a box just to switch and compare the two and if I need it I'll just put it on one of the amps. I tried googling it and all I got were phaser pedals and wiring schematics for pickups neither of which apply to me. I'm running out of a stereo Neunaber pedal but I think the issue might be an amp or the cabs if it's even an issue at all...just a simple box so I can A/B the difference between the phase/polarity.

2. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

Reverse the leads on the speaker in one cabinet? Or make a T/S dongle with the leads reversed. Female 1/4" to Male 1/4" insert it into the speaker path.

I wish someone would make an app for an i-pad that shows a phase scope display. (Or if they do, enlighten me) On a real phase scope, left is a line from upper left to lower right, while right is a line from upper right to lower left. combining the two, in phase is vertical, out of phase is horizontal.
    Unfortunately, a real phase scope is not affordable for home use.
    As the stereo signal developes more separation, the line changes to a fuzzy ball, but phase is obvious.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. Occam

Occam Member

That's really more of a long term fix and I don't really want to Record it, rewire it and then record it again only to maybe realize it was all fine and then have to wire it back. A nice simple box that I could use over and over again as a quick check when running stereo would be useful many times over.

4. Occam

Occam Member

5. Occam

Occam Member

Radial Bigshot ABY looks like it'll work. I used a plugin in Logic to analyze phase and no matter where I moved the mics it was pretty off. I figure I'll notice a difference and then rewire the cabs (I've never wired Speakon cables before).