Police Fans: Advice on FX used on specfic songs

Major Dude

MXR & EHX for sure but back in the days when the Boss BCB-6 was being classed as a cool pedalboard Boss Japan used to include a booklet with every pedal touting which pedals were required to nail the hit sounds of the day, Andy Summers was often cited....there were so few pedals available back then that some of those suggestions probably had some foundation. Boss Chorus and Delay must have been on Andy’s board.....which must have been a BCB-6. :D I loved Boss pedals back then. Good times

Brad2

Funny. I have played some Police songs tonight. It sounds strange but when Andy is uses modulation, no matter if it is phasing or flanging I use my Boss PH-3 phase shifter. Different than what he uses but somehow it works. For that slight crunch on Walking on the moon for example I use the Mooer blues crab.

Last edited:

Stratburst70

The first Police record is definitely Phase 90, along with his Tele and a Twin.

Once Andy Summers got some more money, he bought a lot of effects such as the Boss CE-1, an Echoplex and the EHX Electric Mistress. Walking on the Moon is definitely Electric Mistress and quite a few other songs as well where you think it might be chorus.

It’s hard to pin them down precisely because Andy Summers is such a gear hound; he was one of the first players to buy a Pete Cornish board loaded with various Boss, MXR and EHX effects and he was one of the first to embrace guitar synthesis.

The first Police record is definitely Phase 90, along with his Tele and a Twin.

Once Andy Summers got some more money, he bought a lot of effects such as the Boss CE-1, an Echoplex and the EHX Electric Mistress. Walking on the Moon is definitely Electric Mistress and quite a few other songs as well where you think it might be chorus.

It’s hard to pin them down precisely because Andy Summers is such a gear hound; he was one of the first players to buy a Pete Cornish board loaded with various Boss, MXR and EHX effects and he was one of the first to embrace guitar synthesis.
This. I think the mistress and echoplex preamp are the key components, didn’t the tele have a PAF in the neck as well?

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
If you watch the little documentary with Jools Holland, there is a segment where Andy demonstrates some of the pedals or rack gear for certain songs, and you can see the Cornish-built board in the segment, as well as some TC Electronics delay and Eventide harmonizer as I recall, but it's been a long time so it's hard to remember for sure.

Stratburst70

This. I think the mistress and echoplex preamp are the key components, didn’t the tele have a PAF in the neck as well?
Yes, Andy Summers’ Tele has a PAF in the neck, a phase switch and some kind of a boost that was later disconnected. From what I understand, the AS Custom Shop Tribute Tele just has an Eric Clapton mid-boost since not even Summers remembers what was in there.

Edit: Don’t forget the MXR Dyna-Comp. That’s a mainstay in Summers’ rig after the second album.

Rick CD

I may be way off but for Synchronicity II, I’m using the CE2w, with a bit of breakup either from my AC15, or a Barber GC, depending on volume/venue.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
I covered the Police. MY suggestions to get the sound, in order of importance, are
1. a clean Marshall
2. A tape delay, I suggest the Dunlop one
3. a smash compressor : mxr , ross etc.
4 Mistress, or clone
5 Strat or Tele
6 any distortion box

Those are the main elements. Eventually I added a filter. We only did the first three albums tho.

NorCal_Val

Andy’s interview in Guitar Player, in ‘82, was pretty good about info on what gear he used. It’s probably out there on the interwebs.

wye

I tried his signature custom Tele, quite horrible (this particular guitar), the brass bridge killed the twang, treble and airyness, with this bridge (btw the worst/horrible Les Paul bridge I tried had brass saddles) you cannot evaluate the (wood) potential of the guitar, sounded like a cheap, soft wood 300 Euro Tele, the wiring was unusable, the boost (like claptons) without any use, you can get better results with pedals. Bridge pu sound was lame.

Probably the reason he mostly plays his red Strat now. o_O:D

I usually like fender custom shop Tele and master built guitars, this was the worst I played, even neck/fret job felt bad.

Last edited:

wye

I am quite interested which speaker he used g12h70 (quite trebly and harsh)? Never found any information on this topic.
Probably he used this brass bridge (also ****** dynamics) to tame this speaker, could be....the most crucial thing for his sound is an old electric mistress, quite hissy and open in the treble.

Last edited:

sonikjuice

I covered the Police. MY suggestions to get the sound, in order of importance, are
1. a clean Marshall
2. A tape delay, I suggest the Dunlop one
3. a smash compressor : mxr , ross etc.
4 Mistress, or clone
5 Strat or Tele
6 any distortion box

Those are the main elements. Eventually I added a filter. We only did the first three albums tho.
No chorus pedal?

Looks like Andy has an Echoplex sitting on a road case stage left in the video below (note that he has Les Paul Custom on stage too!!)

Last edited:

Trending Topics