Polish for an old Parker

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone Loco, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I have an original Fly and over the years the lack of a scratch guard has resulted in it getting pretty dulled and scratched right where you think it would. I'm not sure what the finish is on these or what might help to polish up that area. I don't want to use power tools - hopefully just some kind of liquid that I can rub in with a cloth to get back some of the gloss.

Any ideas?

I think it was the first guitar I ever had without a pickguard so I hadn't really thought about the effect of RH nails etc. I might have got a white one instead of majik (?) blue if I had, but it's too late now!

2. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Pics?

I have had good success with Meguiars #9 Swirl remover and some elbow grease.

3. Tone Loco

Lighting and angle makes a big difference but it's pretty obvious here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not obvious from any distance:
    [​IMG]

As far as the Meguiar's, do you need a special kind of cloth or is a sacrificial T-shirt OK?

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

T Shirt is ok. Microfiber made for glass (no stringy parts) works best IMO.

The Meguiars dries to a crust if you don't get it all. Tape up pickups and near switches and pull knobs.

You need to be sure to get it all off.

A fast hand is a huge help. Start in the problem area and fan out to blend. Truthfully, the stuff works so well I'd do the whole guitar. Focus first on the problem area in slow stages. The Paint and clear are relatively thick so you probably don't need to worry about going "through". But, better safe than sorry. Your forearms will be sore. A good hour and a half (with breaks) can really make a HUGE difference.

Good luck.

5. Tone Loco

Great, thanks, I'll give it a go.

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Please post results.

7. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

I have had super luck with the Novus products. they offer 3 compounds, I have only used the light and super light but they are superb for this type of work.

8. Tone Loco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion!

Pretty stunning difference if you ask me. I am thinking about finding some kind of carnuba wax. From what I've read polishing just replaces big scratches with much smaller ones and the wax will fill those, but I'm not sure it matters. Unless maybe if it creates a hard barrier.

I am going to use some of that plastic film you can cut out to any shape as a pick guard though, at least for practicing at home. Maybe take it off for gigs, though it's probably not even that obvious. That stuff definitely works. It's great being able to peel off a piece of scuffed up plastic instead of dealing with a scuffed up finish like this. Too bad it messes up nitro finishes. Actually, I'm assuming Parker's don't have nitro finishes but it would be nice to know for sure.