Politics, Popularity and Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Jan 17, 2006.

Ever pass on a pedal due to politics or popularity?

1. Never. My tone is what is most important to me...not this childish game.

2. I'd like to say "no", but in all honesty...yes, I have been guilty of that.

3. Yes, yes I have and do. I have no problem admitting it. Nothing wrong with it.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gururyan

gururyan Member

Ok, I've made a poll for those that would like to speak out...but are afraid to admit the truth.

The question is this:
    Do you or have you ever passed on a pedal due to the politics or popularity of a pedal? (not planning or encouraging to break the no politics rule)

I can admit that there is a reason I don't have any (X brand) pedals in my rig and why I won't consider them. It's a stupid reason but I can admit to it. It's just an immature "strike" of you will...not giving into the masses, being "independent", a rebel without a cause...or any good reason. Can you admit to being a bit of a gear snob or being biased by stupid reasons when it comes to gear? It could even be a guitar or amp manufacturer.

There are a few pedal brands I don't consider due to stupid reasons.
    There is an amp brand I won't consider due to not liking the builder.
    There are some guitar brands I won't consider as well, mostly due to a stereotype.

Am I alone?
    Am I the only one that will admit this?

...just an open thought.

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

There have been times when I don't want to buy a particularly hip pedal because it's from a large corp. My thinking tends to be that I'll find something better, for a little more, built by people who really believe in what they are doing. Not to say mass produced boxes are always bad or unoriginal...

I've also resisted buying a pedal because it is really popular. This one takes more will power. After owning a couple of Fulltone boxes, I can't say they were my cup of tea. When the OCD came out I was very tempted, but resisted because of all the talk and my previous exp. with Mike's stuff. Not to say it's bad gear...

On the other hand GAS is a POWERFUL thing. Not to say rampant consumerism is bad...

joe

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

If I like it, I buy it.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I don't have the energy to worry about what people think of my gear.

If I didn't like a builder personally, I might pass on his stuff. If I had issues with a corporate entity (e.g., the way some folks are angry at Gibby), I might not buy their stuff new since supporting the secondary market doesn't put money directly into their hands.

I play guitars that are pretty well stereotyped and could give a toss. If someone's going to assume negative things about me because of the gear I play, it's probably not worth my time to worry about it let alone try to get them to abandon their prejudice.

5. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I have quite a few people who laugh when they see my Rocktron Zombie sitting next to pedals that cost 3-4 times as much and have "The Reputation". But I really like it for doing modern type stuff and haven't found much else to replace it. I just put up their laughs and go to therapy over it.

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Today I went to check out a Hot Cake, based only on the hype it gets around here. I didn't like it, not saying it's bad or anything, just not what I was looking for, the guy at the shop recommended that I try a Menatone Blue Collar, I had never heard of it, I loved it, had to have it, and left a happy man. I got home pulled up the forum and the first thing I saw was a debate on Menatone using PC boards, I plugged it in, still loved it, no looking back from here... :)

7. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Popularity poses no impact on my buying decision. I try out what I can based on what reviews I can find of it, I hold onto the stuff that works for me and sell the stuff that doesn't work for the moment.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I know about 10 million players here in Indianapolis - but not one of them apparently is into pedals like me. I just quit trying to explain why I spent $300 on an Eternity, or $280 on a Choralflange, or.... you get the point - they just get this puzzled look on thier faces and say something like "What is an Eternity, and who is Analogman?" Finding this web site was a blessing, finally I have like-minded people to discuss these things with.

Because of all of this, I buy what I want, when I want, because I want.

Nobody else I know even gives a damn....:confused:

9. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Well that makes it easy!!!!
    :BEER

10. msp

msp Member

its ok ... you can cry

your with family now

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, maybe I should clarify that I'm not speaking in terms of what others may think...I could care less too. What I mean is that I find myself skipping over some options due to politics or popularity. For instance, let's say I am looking for a new overdrive to add to my collection. I think it's fair to say most of you can imagine this scenario. So anyway, let's say I start pulling together a list of pedals to narrow it down from. I will skip over brand X because I don't like the builder or because everybody and their dog has one or won't shut up about it. I guess it's like getting burned out on a movie before you even go see it, and eventually just not even going to see it because you got so tired of hearing about it at work.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I know where you're going with this, I can't remember ever not using a pedal because it was hyped, but I do find myself less likely to pick up pedals by Fulltone since he's gotten so big (and perhaps a bit grumpy at times). I still own a couple and have played a few others, just a lot less motivated to buy...

13. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I just use stuff that works for me. I don't really care who its made by. No builder, legendary or not can make every player happy. And even sterling reputation does not mean that the builder's products are what you are looking for. If a pedal costs $15 bucks but does what i want, I'm happy.

14. justicetones

justicetones Member

I buy what I like and what sounds good. If it just happens to be popular and/ or made in some foriegn land that is fine buy me.

I do however love to buy from Small very personable independents or business sometimes called "Boutique" because I am self-employed and can respect the sacrifice that goes along with that. :)

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Quote from SuperSoundMusic:

Well that makes it easy!!!!
    :BEER

Quote from msp:

its ok ... you can cry

your with family now

I love you guys..............:angel

16. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I have had some really bad experiences with Mr Fuller and to some degree that has affected me.

It's not that I would disregard buying his products if I feel that they were perfect for my requirements, but whereas once upon a time I would have tried his stuff first up, now I tend to look for other options first.

It just so happens that about a month ago I did finally sell my '99 FD2 which was about the first 'boutique pedal' I ever bought. I've also had and sold Fat Boosts and Supa Trems and at times I do wonder how much was me refining my tone and how much was my subconscious saying "you don't want to be playing this guys stuff-he doesn't deserve your business".

I guess time will tell.

17. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I do what's best for my tone.

A builder's personal politics has never suade me, nor has the impact of having said pedal and the obstinacy of my peers made me disregard some gear. I'm a strat player who likes sf fender amps. Some people would turn their noses at those pieces of equipment, but, frankly, sf fender amps can be great bargains, and I've never found anything that has played as well as my strat.

Popularity has probably had more to do with whether or not I'd purchase a particular piece. I usually like to wait until the hype/honeymoon period has ended before getting something, that way I can get better opinions than the reactionary ones people get when they first get something. This is the best pedal ever does little for me. There might be a pedal coming up that I plunge head first into, but I guess that'll depend on when it comes out. Other pedals that depend on their huge pricetags can turn me off. I'd love to own a lovetone or way huge pedal, but I'm not going to because of their pricetag.

I think the only thing that has made me not want to buy a particular pedal, besides price of course, from a particular builder was poor customer service. I can think of a few people who didn't bother to respond to my inquiries. I don't do a lot of business, but they lost the chance to do what little I actually do. I'm not saying every builder has to kiss everyone else's ass, but I also remember a particular booteek amp builder who made fun of me because I didn't want to (and can't afford to) drop a couple of grand on one of his boutique amps. But since I'd never buy an amp at that price tag anyways, I don't think I'm really hurting his business.

18. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I buy sounds I like. If it is cheep, built well and has good customer support so much the better.

Bob:cool:

19. Wooley

Wooley Member

I understand exactly what you mean. When I finally discovered Analogman a few years ago, I jumped on the bandwagon so damn hard I almost broke it, much more so because of reputation than product, because I had never had a chance to try his products. Then came Foxrox, Keeley, Fulltone, etc. I finally developed enough ear (and sense) to make my own decisions. I am now particularly hot on Home Brew Electronics and my Carl Martin Compressor, even though no one on another forum I use seems to like them at all.
    Conversely, I was soured on MXR/Dunlop by all the bad-mouthing, but if you have less than $100 to spend on each pedal...? Come on! And I have a guitaris friend that played a gig in front of 8000 people as the lead guitarist with almost all MXR gear and blew the place away. I, too, like many others on this forum, have been soured on Fulltone by Mike Fuller's attitude problem (not to mention the FD2, which I really thought was near the bottom of my 13 ODs). But I couldn't resist the OCD, and after that turned out so well, picked up the Deja-vibe, which are now both permanents in my rig. Hell, I even avoided Keeley for a while because it seemed like he was a rival of Analog Mike, and I was caught up in the fierce loyalty so many have to him (which I think is deserved).
    So yeah, I hear ya buddy.

20. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I don't think I let popularity play a big role, and I can't quite imagine how politics would factor in. I can think of a few times I've let other's opinions guide me toward or away from buying or using something.

-Years ago I was considering picking up a cheap Tele as a spare. The local music store had Squier Teles and Yamaha quasi-Teles. They tried to guide me toward the Yamahas because they felt they were better, and they probably were. I resisted because I thought a Yamaha was going to look silly on stage with a roots/country rock band. Didn't end up buying either.

-When I was in the same band I picked up a used Schecter kit guitar for cheap. It looked very '80s - pointy, etc. My band mates told me, only half joking, not to bring it to gigs because it wouldn't be appropriate for a roots/country rock band. I complied.

-I've considered buying pedals, unheard, because they had a good rep.

I've considered buying amps, guitars, pedals from local builders (e.g., Budda, Cage, PRS, Talos) simply because they are local and I like the idea of patronizing the local guys. However, being a cheapskate, I can't generally justify spending the kind of cash it takes to buy those products. My Barber pedal was built not *too* far away.