Poll: Amp Modeler into FRFR or Purpose-built Powered Cab or Traditional Amp/Cab or Multiple?

How do you amplify your multi-effects / amp modeler?

• FRFR / PA

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Purpose-built Powered Cab

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Traditional Amp / Guitar Cab

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Multiple

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters

Fireproof

We’ve had recent threads/discussions on the merits of different amplification approaches and who uses what, but I haven’t seen a POLL where we can see some numbers.

So let’s do this:
How do you amplify your multi-effects / amp modeler? FRFR/PA speakers? Purpose-built Powered Cab? Traditional Amp/Cab? or Multiple?

For clarification - please follow the below guidelines:
  • FRFR / PA = traditional powered speakers/monitors like Yamaha DXR10, Alto, QSC K Series, Headrush 108, etc.
  • Purpose-built Powered Cab = those designed and promoted for modelers like Line6 PowerCab, Friedman ASC/ASM, Atomic CLR, Mission Engineering Gemini, Xitone Cab, etc.
  • Traditional Amp / Guitar Cab = using a combo amp, traditional amp head & guitar cab, or “power amp” and guitar cab
  • Multiple = means either you use more than one as the situation calls for it, or use more than one simultaneously (like one output through a stage amp and another output through PA speakers)
Note 1: Please only vote if you are using a modeler for amp modeling (plus any effects). Traditional pedalboard into an amp doesn’t count. Effects only devices into an amp don’t count. Trying to get a view into those that use amp models.

Note 2: Even if you don’t gig - feel free to vote if the above qualifies - if you jam at home, with friends, etc.

Note 3: I know there will be exceptions, caveats, or “blurred lines” when trying to fit into the above poll choices, but just go with it - this isn’t a scientific study or research paper. :D

Fireproof

Also feel free to leave a comment in terms of what you use / how you use it. If you feel so inclined.

For me - I voted “multiple”.

Sometimes I’ll use FRFR only as direct to PA, or just single monitor in small jam sessions.
Sometimes I’ll use my Friedman ASC10.

Not currently gigging, but if/when I do - I’ll probably use the Friedman on stage with an out to the PA.

Last edited:

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
We’ve had recent threads/discussions on the merits of different amplification approaches and who uses what, but I haven’t seen a POLL where we can see some numbers.

So let’s do this:
How do you amplify your multi-effects / amp modeler? FRFR/PA speakers? Purpose-built Powered Cab? Traditional Amp/Cab? or Multiple?

For clarification - please follow the below guidelines:
  • FRFR / PA = traditional powered speakers/monitors like Yamaha DXR10, Alto, QSC K Series, Headrush 108, etc.
  • Purpose-built Powered Cab = those designed and promoted for modelers like Line6 PowerCab, Friedman ASC/ASM, Atomic CLR, Mission Engineering Gemini, Xitone Cab, etc.
  • Traditional Amp / Guitar Cab = using a combo amp, traditional amp head & guitar cab, or “power amp” and guitar cab
  • Multiple = means either you use more than one as the situation calls for it, or use more than one simultaneously (like one output through a stage amp and another output through PA speakers)
Note 1: Please only vote if you are using a modeler for amp modeling (plus any effects). Traditional pedalboard into an amp doesn’t count. Effects only devices into an amp don’t count. Trying to get a view into those that use amp models.

Note 2: Even if you don’t gig - feel free to vote if the above qualifies - if you jam at home, with friends, etc.

Note 3: I know there will be exceptions, caveats, or “blurred lines” when trying to fit into the above poll choices, but just go with it - this isn’t a scientific study or research paper. :D
Voted multiple. GT-1000 amp out to whatever is available and then XLR to the mixer and PAs. I find the amp gives traditional guitar sounds and the PA just fills everything out. I run the same setup at home too.

mdubya

Multiple. AX8 user.

I am primarily an "at home" modeler.

My number one monitoring source is a pair of Presonus e4.5 monitors. They are the best sounding source for the volumes I play.

I have a Xitone powered 1x12. It sounds excellent and could most certainly level small buildings at volume. Howvever, the Presonus sound better at low volume; tighter with more detail and sound more like having your ear right up to the vintage speakers I tend to use for IR's/cab blocks.

The best of both worlds is using the Presonus and the Xitone together.

I also own a QSC K8 which I do not like.

I previously owned an Alto TX8 which was OK at best, but it was when I first started and I am confident I could make it sound better now.

I also run my AX8 straight into the front of my Marshall 2204 set flat and low volume. I run that through a 2x12 Marshall 1936 cabinet with vintage Pulsonic G12M's. I would like to try a small power amp too, but so far have not. I have presets with no cab block and I also use full modeling, cab block enabled, when running through the 2204/G12M set up. The amp EQ and preamp allow for dialing in tones.

Running through the real amp also benefits from blending with the Presonus and the Xitone, sometimes all three at once.

Having multiple options just broadens things even further and I highly recommend that approach.

Bottom line: If I could have just one source, it would be the Presonus.

I would classify myself as "extremely happy" with my monitoring sources.

I would like to try some Adam A7X or A5X to hear how much better than the Presonus they might sound.

I use for headphones for at-home practice.

For gigs I use one of two setups:

1) Kemper into one or two DXR12s
2) Bogner XTC into a Torpedo Live into one or two DXR12s

I learned years ago that listening through a powered PA cabinet and tuning to that sound made my FOH sound far better, as well as making the stage volume much more controllable.

alex mansman

By not mentioning them I feel as though you've really marginalized the "aux in of a running Chevy Equinox" people.

It's an underrated method. If I stand outside of the car behind it with the doors open I can get stereo. If I sit inside of the with the doors closed I get surround sound. Gotta watch out though, the gas is not an external expression pedal.

Oh and dont forget about the "speaker in the back of a gaming chair" crowd. I hear they can get testy

In all seriousness though, I make presets and rehearse with a Headrush 112 and live I go direct to FOH mostly. Have had to use HR112 as backline with mixed results. I started off my modeling path with a Quilter TB200 and orange 2x12, but tried out FRFR one day and loved it and really felt like NOW I'm using more of what I paid for. I can live happily in both worlds. If price was no issue I'd really like to have 2 L6 PC212's stacked!

alex mansman

Multiple. AX8 user.

I am primarily an "at home" modeler.

My number one monitoring source is a pair of Presonus e4.5 monitors. They are the best sounding source for the volumes I play.

I have a Xitone powered 1x12. It sounds excellent and could most certainly level small buildings at volume. Howvever, the Presonus sound better at low volume; tighter with more detail and sound more like having your ear right up to the vintage speakers I tend to use for IR's/cab blocks.

The best of both worlds is using the Presonus and the Xitone together.

I also own a QSC K8 which I do not like.

I previously owned an Alto TX8 which was OK at best, but it was when I first started and I am confident I could make it sound better now.

I also run my AX8 straight into the front of my Marshall 2204 set flat and low volume. I run that through a 2x12 Marshall 1936 cabinet with vintage Pulsonic G12M's. I would like to try a small power amp too, but so far have not. I have presets with no cab block and I also use full modeling, cab block enabled, when running through the 2204/G12M set up. The amp EQ and preamp allow for dialing in tones.

Running through the real amp also benefits from blending with the Presonus and the Xitone, sometimes all three at once.

Having multiple options just broadens things even further and I highly recommend that approach.

Bottom line: If I could have just one source, it would be the Presonus.

I would classify myself as "extremely happy" with my monitoring sources.

I would like to try some Adam A7X or A5X to hear how much better than the Presonus they might sound.
Out of sheer curiosity, what is "flat" when setting a 2204?

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I don't fit in those categories- I'm using my Helix into a DT-25/50, but you could say that it's a traditional amp/cab or a purpose built cab because the Helix switches the output stage of the tube power section depending on the amp model- Class A or AB, Triode or Pentode, and Fender, Marshall, Vox, or Mesa Rectifier. It's by far the best sounding rig I've ever had. For a sweetener, sometimes I'll add my CenterPoint Stereo Space Station V.3 as a wet/dry amp for stereo effects.

Fireproof

By not mentioning them I feel as though you've really marginalized the "aux in of a running Chevy Equinox" people.

It's an underrated method. If I stand outside of the car behind it with the doors open I can get stereo. If I sit inside of the with the doors closed I get surround sound. Gotta watch out though, the gas is not an external expression pedal.

Oh and dont forget about the "speaker in the back of a gaming chair" crowd. I hear they can get testy

In all seriousness though, I make presets and rehearse with a Headrush 112 and live I go direct to FOH mostly. Have had to use HR112 as backline with mixed results. I started off my modeling path with a Quilter TB200 and orange 2x12, but tried out FRFR one day and loved it and really felt like NOW I'm using more of what I paid for. I can live happily in both worlds. If price was no issue I'd really like to have 2 L6 PC212's stacked!
LOL!! But seriously - have you plugged it into a Chevy Equinox?? :rotflmao

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Multiple. Whether it's a modeler DI (usually) or even an amp I'm considering mic'd) I do all of my tone testing using the stuff below and it has to sound good:
Sennheiser 28 pro's
Adam A5 nearfield monitors
Alto TS110a (my "backline FRFR")
Yamaha DXR10 (one of my mains)
Shure SE215 IEMS

I just bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15 Tweed (with Greenback) to try out. Once that is delivered I will test my Strymon Iridium pedalboard, Iridium disengaged. Then I'll test pedals into Iridium -> FRFR and also pedals into amp.
Finally I'll test Iridium null cab on one side to Bassbreaker FX return, other side full cab into FRFR.

EDIT: Here's a quick vid I found of Iridium cab bypassed into FX return of a Mesa Nomad 45... sounds great!

Last edited:

Fireproof

Multiple. Whether it's a modeler DI (usually) or even an amp I'm considering mic'd) I do all of my tone testing using the stuff below and it has to sound good:
Sennheiser 28 pro's
Adam A5 nearfield monitors
Alto TS110a (my "backline FRFR")
Yamaha DXR10 (one of my mains)
Shure SE215 IEMS

I just bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15 Tweed (with Greenback) to try out. Once that is delivered I will test my Strymon Iridium pedalboard, Iridium disengaged. Then I'll test pedals into Iridium -> FRFR and also pedals into amp.
Finally I'll test Iridium null cab on one side to Bassbreaker FX return, other side full cab into FRFR.

EDIT: Here's a quick vid I found of Iridium cab bypassed into FX return of a Mesa Nomad 45... sounds great!

Cool. BTW - let me know how you end up liking that Bassbreaker!

mdubya

Out of sheer curiosity, what is "flat" when setting a 2204?
I try to mimic the straight in tone of a powered monitor which, in my experience, is warm and clean, some might even consider it borderline muddy.

That works for me but might not for others. I do it as a lark as much as anything, but it does add a touch of real guitar amp/speaker/tube frequency to the equation. The modeling and the IR fills in the brighter treble and mid frequencies.

My initial settings are Presence 0, TMB 2, Preamp 2, Master below 2.

I started doing this blended with the Xitone at low volumes. Now I mostly use the Presonus pair and the Xitone, blended, but I do fire up the 2204 every once and again for cheap thrills and to prove it works/sounds decent enough and to keep the tubes and capacitors working.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have been very, very happy with running either my Helix or Axe III into the Powercab 212+. It sounds great and moves some air and is plenty loud!

Beagle1

Silver Supporting Member
It really depends on the type of gig. If it's a decent size stage and I've got some time to setup, I like to run my Axe-FX into both a tube power amp + guitar cab for backline, and also have a FRFR monitor (preferably Atomic CLR) at the front of the stage. If it's a small stage and/or I have very little setup time, I can live with just the Axe-FX into a CLR or whatever floor monitor is available. For classic rock gigs where I trust the FOH and can turn up a bit, I like to bring a real amp (typically my Egnater MICA 100 head).

Trending Topics