Poll: Are men who don't like football less masculine than those who do?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by phoenix 7, Feb 3, 2018.

Are men who don't like football less masculine than those who do?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. No

275 vote(s)
    77.0%
  1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

I'd say we're worse consumers/ad-watchers.

2. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Some of us have actual work to do.

Noise Under The Floor and A-Bone like this.
  3. s2y

s2y Member

I'd be interested to hear what you find. I haven't paid much attention since any sort of testosterone supplement is forbidden until I quit cycling.

4. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

All good. I kinda thought that might be so, hence my emoticon.

derekd and Noise Under The Floor like this.
  5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I wore icicle lace to my second wedding. Conforming to contemporary standards of heteronormative cisgender masculinity has just never been a priority.

derekd, urizen and phoenix 7 like this.
  6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I played football (and hockey and baseball). And I sang in the performance choir and was in all the musicals. So... I'm clearly in some kind of nether region between the manly and the not.

If we taunted the other team in HS football, we were shown the bench (more than 35 years ago).

:facepalm

derekd, Seth L and phoenix 7 like this.
  7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yes, of course men who dislike football are less masculine, and their favorite 'sport' is often figure skating. Their drink of choice is white wine, they've never eaten food via a drive-through, and tofu is a significant part of their diet. Many drive a minivan, prefer cats over dogs, and actually know how to knit. Their guitar strings of choice are 8s. :)

8. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

define masculinity

Stike and Timcito like this.
  9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

It depends on what your talking about. If it's American football then yes. If it's soccer, then no. If it's rugby, then it's hell yes! LOL

10. That70'sbro

That70'sbro Member

I say no. NFL Football is the only pro sport that I watch and pay attention to consistently. I'm originally from the East Coast and most of my old circle of friends there are what might be considered 'typical east coast liberal' (those of them who are politically minded). A few of those male friends either don't care or pretty much despise football as being a symptom of 'the loud, dumb, arrogant American'. Ironically or not, for long as can remember, a couple of these guys have been the biggest 'tang hounds I've ever known :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  11. meowtorhead

meowtorhead Member

Astronauts?

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

Is that even a sport? I thought the only reason people watched it was for the fighting.

14. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I liked football when I played it. I liked wrestling when I participated in it. I don't like to live vicariously through someone else. I don't find football entertaining, I don't like the character of many of the players and find nothing to look up to and don't regard them as heroes like other people do. Some of the recent shenanigans have only confirmed my disdain. There is nothing non masculine about me. I don't waste my time yakking about a game or participating in fantasy football. I don't like it. I don't care whether anyone else does or not, it's just not my thing. I'm sure many people feel differently. I would rather play music or participate in sporting clays or ride my motorcycle. I can't imagine sitting on a couch getting worked up over a game. I've explained it like this before to my football friends. The reason I would rather see KISS than a football team is simply this. KISS always wins. I leave the show feeling good, not dejected or angry at some loss. Some of you don't like KISS, so insert the name of your favorite band and apply the logic. I just can't get emotionally invested over something like the NFL. Probably not a popular opinion.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  15. Seth L

Seth L Member

superiority complex
    n.
    1. An exaggerated feeling of being superior to others.
    2. A psychological defense mechanism in which feelings of superiority counter or conceal feelings of inferiority.

derekd and A-Bone like this.
  16. A-Bone

I don't think it ever occurred to me to question my masculinity, and I cannot imagine any form of spectatorship as a marker of it.

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

yes! day be bunch of panzeees

:D

18. A-Bone

In thinking about it, I do know folks for whom sports fandom is a component of their identity. In as much as gender is performative and this forms a component of that identity, I can imagine folks conflating the ideas, and seeing their expression of sports fandom as likewise part of how they perform what they think masculinity looks like.

dhdfoster, derekd and Seth L like this.
  19. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

20. A-Bone

Men who don't like watching or following sports? My natural inclination is to flip this and ask how following or watching sports expresses masculinity*? Is it the homosocial aspects of it?

*this includes an embedded assumption that "panzeees" aren't masculine based on the generally pejorative use of the homophonic "pansy."

derekd and 84Bravo like this.