• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Poll: Are you buying the Quad Cortex? Why?

Are you buying a Quad Cortex?

• Yes, ordered.

• Probably

• Doubtful

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
I can easily see the cost of a project like that reaching $500,000 - $1million and involve 6 or more months of work by a full dedicated team.
This kinda bugs me. IMO, it’s all not needed bells and whistles. I wish they’d devote this dev cost on more and better sounding amps and FX. But, I’m probably just being practical :dunno

mikah912

This kinda bugs me. IMO, it’s all not needed bells and whistles. I wish they’d devote this dev cost on more and better sounding amps and FX. But, I’m probably just being practical :dunno
You don't think they're already heavily devoted to their best-sounding amps and FX before they launch the product?!

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I get it, it's all for stuff I don't care about either. But for all we know it could only be a tiny fraction of the money and resources they are putting into the modeling and development of the QC.

Fireproof

I understand that it may seem cynical, but no modeler intentionally omitted the ability to backup/share individual presets/profiles locally, that's fundamental functionality.

I am very suspicious of the true reason of this decision, and smiling PR talk just puts me off even further.
"WE DID EVERYTHING FOR BEST AND EASIEST USER EXPERIENCE".... yeah...I don't think so... dragging presets/profiles/captures through a desktop editor is the easiest, fastest, safest, and can be organized anyway the user so chooses.... but the development attention is on a wireless cloud based "community" and an eStore.
For me, it has red flags all over it.

As I said, I wish them good luck and see what's up in a year or so.
They have built a device where you can update firmware and import IRs, Presets, and Captures all WITHOUT being tethered to a computer. And without even having to own a computer at all.

All other devices require a computer to do those actions. And I’ve seen people interested in Helix and Pod Go, BUT they don’t have a computer and so that is an issue for them. If they were to buy - they’d have to borrow someone’s computer, ask them if they can install something on it, etc, etc, just to update their device.

If you can’t see ANY user benefit to this cloud approach...well I don’t know what to say. Just seems particularly close-minded to me.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I can see the plusses. But I have the Mustang and have owned more than my share of GT1000s and editing wirelessly is not really all it's cracked up to be if it isn't stable. I am assuming at the price point the QC is at; they will avoid the works sometimes pitfalls of the Mustang or the "god this is clunky no matter what you use to edit"ness of the GT1000.

tjontheroad

Gold Supporting Member
You don't think they're already heavily devoted to their best-sounding amps and FX before they launch the product?!
I didn’t say they weren’t in deep. I’m saying all the extra dev costs for doohickeys that IMO are not needed could be devoted to improving their worst sounding stuff.

I get it, it's all for stuff I don't care about either. But for all we know it could only be a tiny fraction of the money and resources they are putting into the modeling and development of the QC.
Well it’s like cable TV. 2000 channels and I only watch about 3-4 of them. But, I still gotta pay for all of them.

Jim Roseberry

Silver Supporting Member
Recent posts in this thread are a reminder/reality-check:
Releasing a new product like the QC (especially for a smaller company) is a massive undertaking.
Thousands of man hours...
In those many thousands of development hours, I'm sure there have been unexpected "road-blocks" (obstacles).

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
They have built a device where you can update firmware and import IRs, Presets, and Captures all WITHOUT being tethered to a computer. And without even having to own a computer at all.

All other devices require a computer to do those actions. And I’ve seen people interested in Helix and Pod Go, BUT they don’t have a computer and so that is an issue for them. If they were to buy - they’d have to borrow someone’s computer, ask them if they can install something on it, etc, etc, just to update their device.

If you can’t see ANY user benefit to this cloud approach...well I don’t know what to say. Just seems particularly close-minded to me.
Usefulness is a personal/subjective thing.

What is extremely useful to one person may be completely useless to another

mikah912

I didn’t say they weren’t in deep. I’m saying all the extra dev costs for doohickeys that IMO are not needed could be devoted to improving their worst sounding stuff.
You think they believe any of their launch amps are "the worst sounding", tho? This is their latest engine and latest firmware development. So new, in fact, that no one here has played them to even be able to identify "the worst". You're essentially saying they should eliminate man-hours/resources for something that people can use now to devote to a vague hypothetical that may never need addressing.

AndrewSimon

I am 100% super happy with my Kemper.
No other modeler gave me what Kemper did including the AXE -FX and that is just plug an play for hours, instead of tweaking forever. I'm not saying I won't be trying out new stuff but I will never sell my Kemper.

Fireproof

Usefulness is a personal/subjective thing.

What is extremely useful to one person may be completely useless to another
Totally agree buddy. And most people tend to acknowledge “YMMV” when they say why it’s not for them.

But if you read James Freeman’s posts - it’s like he can’t even consider that MAYBE there are some benefits to other users and it’s not all about Neural trying to scam people with a trojan horse. It’s tiring.

tjontheroad

Gold Supporting Member

If you can afford a $1,600 guitar box, you likely can afford and/or already own a computer.

Sure there are benefits. I can agree with that.

tjontheroad

Gold Supporting Member
You think they believe any of their launch amps are "the worst sounding", tho? This is their latest engine and latest firmware development. So new, in fact, that no one here has played them to even be able to identify "the worst". You're essentially saying they should eliminate man-hours/resources for something that people can use now to devote to a vague hypothetical that may never need addressing.
Their worse sounding amps are the ones not yet on the launch list ;)

mikah912

Gotcha. Well, I hope the frequency of new amps added is pretty steady post-launch too, but we'll have to see. I'm guessing there's not a ton of overlap between their cloud developers and modeling tweakers/measurers. Different tools and skillsets, after all...

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I see both sides here. This is something I see at work all the time. There is a budget, and someone has to decide how it should be spent. There are always many meetings with many people, who all have their own idea of what they think is best, and after the battle is over there is a plan for the allocation of resources.

For reasons known only to them, this seems to be how they decided to allocate the budget they had for the QC.

I can almost guarantee there were people in that discussion who felt the same way you did and didn't want resources allocated to this "Instagram" service, and there were others who probably wanted more resources going to it.

I can almost guarantee there was at least one person who, at the very least, floated the idea of all paid content, charging subscription fees, and all sorts of other monetization ideas. And I can almost guarantee there was at least one other person arguing against that and pushing for no fees, no paid content, and no monetization of the system.

Ultimately, you always have to end at a compromise of some sort. Usually it comes down to a compromise between creative voices and business voices.

Fireproof

People talk about the QC standard or build-in amp models? This thing is capturing amps right, it's not a by component level based amp modeler so in the end you get some QC static amp captures or profiles so to speak with generic tone controls based around active EQ. Don't see much developing in that department as the user base will provide more amps and drive pedals over time.
Nope - It’s both. They have bottoms-up amp and effect models. As well as captures. So it’s like a Fractal + Kemper all in one box.

James Freeman

Of course I can see a big leap in comfort and usability, that's actually genius, but only if a fully functional local way is also available.

Call me old fashioned with trust issues, I can see being taken advantage of, especially with those plugin prices and a "cloud only" approach, you see.
"Hey kid, want the next big thing? You can have the new Marshall pack for only 29.99$"

I just hope for the early adopters it will not be a "Hardware Amplitube" where they will have to pay for everything new and cool, on top of the initial price of the unit.
Unlike current top tier 1700-2200$ modelers where you buy once and get years and years of the latest and greatest in free updates.

Fireproof

I didn't know that. But these QC amp models are not reviewed yet? Hmmm, makes the QC slightly more interesting.
Yeah - some of the youtubers have quickly demoed some of the modeled amps and effects, but it does seem like more of the focus has been on captures - probably because it’s the first time in 10 years someone is challenging Kemper profiling. Plenty of other modelers around - but not profilers/capturers.

One I do remember was Anderton’s first video on the Quad Cortex had Danish Pete playing through a Fender model on edge-of-breakup setting - sounded pretty awesome to me!!

tjontheroad

Gold Supporting Member
I see both sides here. This is something I see at work all the time. There is a budget, and someone has to decide how it should be spent. There are always many meetings with many people, who all have their own idea of what they think is best, and after the battle is over there is a plan for the allocation of resources.

For reasons known only to them, this seems to be how they decided to allocate the budget they had for the QC.

I can almost guarantee there were people in that discussion who felt the same way you did and didn't want resources allocated to this "Instagram" service, and there were others who probably wanted more resources going to it.

I can almost guarantee there was at least one person who, at the very least, floated the idea of all paid content, charging subscription fees, and all sorts of other monetization ideas. And I can almost guarantee there was at least one other person arguing against that and pushing for no fees, no paid content, and no monetization of the system.

Ultimately, you always have to end at a compromise of some sort. Usually it comes down to a compromise between creative voices and business voices.
One thing I see beyond NSDP is how these cloud services are possibly becoming ever present in digital music gear. In the keyboards/production space, there is Roland Cloud and Native Instruments Machine for example. They have additional content and synths (models) for subscribers. There’s value there but you never actually own the content. Sooner or later, those companies will move on and you’re holding the bag so to speak. I subscribe to Roland Cloud. There’s great stuff there but often the servers are down and it needs to phone home at least once a week to re-authorize your subscription.

Other companies are watching. If it succeeds, there will be imitation. NSDP doesn’t say how it all works yet. They say there is no additional fees. I have no reason not to believe them. But, using the cloud isn’t always seamless. For QC, it really is not much more than a big librarian at this time. That’s why I think it is a tremendous amount of feature creep. Others will disagree.

Trending Topics