POLL: Are You Experienced or Led Zeppelin I?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Feb 18, 2020.

Are You Experienced or Led Zeppelin I?

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

63.4%
  2. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I

36.6%
  1. mdubya

mdubya Member

II and IV are that way for me. I never need to hear either one ever again. :aok

I kinda killed I and III on my own.

Physical Graffiti is my LZ jam now. :D

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  2. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

I remember to this moment buying an album that did not look as anything else I had seen.I had heard bits of who he was but no real understanding of the the otherworldly sonics I would experience,it drove my father's sanity to the edge. Yes, Jimi Hendrix wins for me.

mdubya, Peteyvee and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

LZ1 was the third LP I ever bought. Made a huge impression. I appreciate AYE but I *love* LZ1

:love:

wntbtw likes this.
  4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Hendrix by a large margin.

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

LZI by a fairly good margin.
    Memory is strong with this one.
    Now, if you’d submitted “Cry of Love”, the outcome might be different.
    (that was my first Hendrix experience)

Sj

6. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

My dear, they are nearly 2 years apart. Just imagine whatever goodies you enjoyed on your smart phone last year, and then even two before, and then whatever new goodies to be enjoyed you looked at this just this last week. Different, no? And a different perspective as a consumer, yes?
    While we love and cherish both of these brilliant initial releases, kudos goes to the ground breaking and mind blowing work of Mr Jimi Hendrix. (And Chaz Chandler)

This was not a clever comparison, and 2 years apart is just the most powerful and obvious first reason why. Mr Ranger, how wild were you in 1967? Did your grandpa have a nice LP Album player from Sears?

7. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

Jimi and it's not very close IMO.

mdubya, Cactus Bob and Jabby92 like this.
  8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

And who are we comparing? A band against a guy? There was the Experience & BOG. I know, Bonham is a great drummer. But give me a break, Buddy Miles also sang and I don['t know about you, but I stood up and noticed the skins in a big way on Band of Gypsies. And Mitch, My God, Jimi needed a guy like that to sprinkle his music. Noel? EH. Plant is decent on vocals;like him better now. THe real hellraiser in Zep for playing was JPL, an underrated monster. Yet try and get the bass grooves out of your head that Billy provides. I loved zep 1 & 2, you could say I was a true Zep fan, but I got tired of it cept 2-3 songs on every subsequent album. I will not ever listen to Stairway because of the LA radio abuse we all received when the song came out. We had 5+ pretty good rock stations. It was quite possible that stairway could be on each one simultaneously. Thank god for 8 track! Zepp was a great band, hugely overrated compared to the competition. Oh, and BTW, it usually comes down to, well, Page was a great producer. Well, so was Jimi and he died with the world at his feat and an expanding audience. No, listen to Jimi sing,what an infectious story telling voice.. One other thing, Are you experienced brought something new to the table, it was rocknroll,but way different and it changed the landscape to inspire new music. LZ1? a good solid rock album.

mdubya likes this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Two years apart and Jimis masterpiece still blows Zep 1 out of the water.

sahhas likes this.
  10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Zeppelin for me.

wntbtw likes this.
  11. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Well, it's this:
    [​IMG]
    vs this:
    [​IMG]
    I think LZ did a good job creating a mystery in a band and they certainly maintained that in the 70s. JP w/ his experience in studios in the 60s knew how to run a band and work the music industry, so he really had control of everything. and certainly LZ is one of the top bands in rock history.
    But I would still give the better album to Hendrix' Are you Experienced. Purple Haze, Foxey Lady? I mean those are just standard great pop songs w/ amazing guitar.
    and the song Are You Experienced and 3rd stone from the sun, are just great studio experimental masterpieces. The other thing is that Hendrix didn't have the advantages of LZ. He just had raw talent,and luckily Chas found him and developed him and created a superstar band. That gave them the resources to move forward and create the next 2 albums, which I think are untouchable. And honestly Little Wing, Castles made of sand, and One rainy wish, no one has written songs that rival those in my opinion. Granted they are not on AYE. But i bet that Hendrix would have loved to have the control that Jimmy Page had over his music.....Sadly, Hendrix career was short, and JP was lucky that his band lasted 11 years.....sad that both bands had to end so tragically.....

12. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Ok look, I admit there are a bunch of reasons to pick AYE. But Bonham's bass triplets 30 seconds into Good Time Bad Times left me gobsmacked.

wntbtw likes this.
  13. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I prefer the variety Zep I offers. AYE is about my least favorite Hendrix.

LoadedGoat likes this.
  14. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

15. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

16. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

This. GTBT is the only track on the debut that holds up to the later stuff.

17. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I chose AYE as the sounds and experimentation with sound to make amazing music is all there. I think the songs hold up really well too.

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

My mom told me if I wanted to listen to AYE I had to move the stereo to the garage and close the door. I did. An old chair, AYE, a pair of JBLs, a Marantz receiver and a Dual turntable and I was a styling 10 year old...

mdubya and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  19. LoadedGoat

LoadedGoat Member

Zep...by a nose..

wntbtw likes this.
  20. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

AYE broke more ground. it gets mad props.

love zep I tho....

soundchaser59 likes this.