Poll: Best choice for low wattage head? (Rock cover band)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mysticaxe, Nov 22, 2017.

Which Lower Wattage head?

1. Friedman Runt 20

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Soldano HR25

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Landry LS-30

11 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. Suhr Badger 30

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Ceriatone 2202 or Son of Yeti

10 vote(s)
    9.6%
  6. Marshall Mini Jubilee (2525h)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. Other (add comment)

27 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Supporting Member

I've decided that I'm done with big iron for a while - my 2204 has 6v6's in it, and I can still barely get that up to about 2-3 on the master before I'm too loud for band work... I built an 18 watt TMB/Plexi with power reduction that I run browned pretty far down, so now I'm looking for #3.

I'm in a Foo Fighters cover band (look up FooTopia on youtube if you are bored) that plays other stuff from the 80s/90s/00s. Heaviest would be Godsmack/Metallica/Soundgarden. I'm fine (and prefer) a little grit on my cleans. Want an FX loop to for the delay. Would prefer 2 channels, but I am fine with single channel and volume knob/boost. Would prefer a smaller head that can sit on a diagonal 212. Would like to keep it to under 30 watts with a good master, and under $2k. No great stores nearby to try much of anything (Matt's Music is about an hour away on a good day).

Based on reading quite a bit here are the contenders:
    - Friedman Runt 20 - played this one a couple times at Guitar Center and really like it. I know Chris Shifflet uses Friedman's, so that may be the closest in tone to the target.
    - Soldano HR25 - always wanted to try a Soldano, and this checks a lot of boxes.
    - Landry LS-30 - clips sound great!
    - Suhr Badger 30 - Played the previous version a while ago in a store and liked it quite a bit.
    - Marshall mini jubilee - Hits the Marshall sound with a bit of variation.
    - Ceriatone 2202 or Son of Yeti - are these too close to my JCM800?

I've also played a couple variants of the EVH 5150 III (including the LBX II) - a little to grainy for what I'm looking for. Didn't care for the Mini Recto sound, but that may have been the cab. Haven't really gelled with Orange amps, but I also haven't really spent much time on them (the clips tend to sound sludgy for what I'm looking for).

2. blackba

blackba Member

At the end I compare my 50Watt 2553 to the Soldano HR25, which might be helpful.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nad-soldano-hr25.1832387/

I would be concerned with the mini jubilee that it would not have enough punch for hard rock. Some mention this as an issue with the mini jubilee, others say its fine. The Soldano HR25 uses big iron, so it definitely has the punch for hard rock/metal.

I was pretty impressed with the Frieman BE100 I tried, but that is the only friedman I have played. No experience with the other amps in your list.

eigentone likes this.
  3. mysticaxe

Your comparison with the Jube is definitely interesting (didn't see the 5153). I've had the Soldano bug for a week or so now, and all of the threads about that amp are glowing. The price for that, the Badger and the Landry are a little above what I was looking to spend, but I came to the conclusion long ago that it is cheaper in the end to get what you really want rather than cycle through 3 amps/guitars/etc trying to save money, only to lose a bit on each transaction (I have a friend that is an expert on that - buys guitars for a "deal" only to sell them 6 months later for a $200 loss - can't count how many times he's done that).

Abram4235 likes this.
  4. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Well on the cheaper side I have a Blackstar HT20 head that sounds great.

5. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Mesa Mark V. Full size.

eigentone, LCW and Dale like this.
  6. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

Mesa MarkV:25 or :35....

Al

bxlxaxkxe and Dale like this.
  7. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Landry LS30: FWIW, I've owned one for three months and while I've not played it in a band setting, at 30W this can be one LOUD amp. I cannot imagine that it wouldn't keep up just fine. In fact, I remain surprised how loud it is. It has EL34s, 2-channel, MV, fx loop, bright switches; so, lots of tweakability. I don't have any clips (and they wouldn't be any better than Bill's), but I would feel free to contact him should you have further interest.

Funny, you mentioned a 2204 6V6 amp. I recently picked up a 22W head which is 2204-based, has 6V6s, Metro fx loop, and is low voltage. (MGL20; www.marksguitarloft.com); Mark has demos on YouTube. It is designed for lower-volume settings. Have found it much more amenable to sounding great without rattling my teeth and breaking windows.

Good luck-

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. mysticaxe

I use a Blackstar HT5R as my home practice amp and the other guitar player uses one of the Blackstar 100 watters. Interesting choice, but I think I'm going to go a different route with this amp.

Mesa and I are a bit at odds. I had a Mark IV for a while, which didn't work for me. I would have to try before I bought one of those.

9. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

No worries, Mesa's aren't for everyone. I bought an Orange Rocker 15 combo a couple of months back, 2 channels with an effects loop, and it's only 29 pounds. 15 watts. It has proven to be quite worthy and can easily keep up with a pretty heavy hitting drummer. I know you asked for a head, but at 29 pounds it might be worthwhile to try one out. A whole different tonality than my Boogies. And then there is always the Tweaker 15 with NOS tubes....way better than it's price...

Al

Ian Alderman likes this.
  10. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

If you dig the Orange Rocker tone, but want a head, check out the OR15. Good stuff, and the EQ is great. No sludge unless that's what you want.

11. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Keep your eyes open for a used Mesa TA-30. The Vox side with a Rat would cover your Foo Fighters great, and channel 2 can do Fender clean to Mesa mean.

Al Rose likes this.
  12. mysticaxe

Good idea! I've been intrigued by the TA's.

13. Dale

Dale Member

You have tried a V25?

14. mysticaxe

I haven’t. I think I need to go to Matt’s Music somewhat soon. He’s a Mesa, Friedman and Suhr dealer.

toddincharlotte and DMVGuitar like this.
  15. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Soldano HR25 would be my personal pick out of that list - SLO vibes at manageable stage volume!

16. 8len8

8len8 Member

Select the amp that has the largest OT. I have a Blackstar HT-20 that I had to replace the OT on to get a reasonably good tone out of.

17. bman5150us

bman5150us Member

Man, just about all of those amps are awesome and would fit the bill. I’ll add one more to consider since I own one: Friedman Pink Taco. It’s loud and sounds killer. And if the Landry 30w sounds as good as my Landry G3 , that might be my choice.

18. walshb

walshb Member

Despite some claims otherwise, I've had no trouble keeping up with any drummer with my little Mini Jube combo, with just the 1x12 Greenback. So I voted for it, but if I was looking for another amp I'd have to also try the HR25 because I've heard/read nothing negative about it. (I had an SLO but couldn't really use it effectively because it was so freakin' loud.) Good luck in your search!

TTBZ and manimal like this.
  19. Slideman

Slideman Member

Orange OR-15

Dale likes this.
  20. bman5150us

bman5150us Member

I really enjoyed the mini Jub when I tried it in a store. Seemed like if you added a nice boost in front of it, you’d have all sorts of rock tones available in conjunction with the guitar volume knob.

walshb and manimal like this.