Poll: Best choice for low wattage head? (Rock cover band)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mysticaxe, Nov 22, 2017.

Which Lower Wattage head?

1. Friedman Runt 20

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Soldano HR25

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Landry LS-30

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Suhr Badger 30

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Ceriatone 2202 or Son of Yeti

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Marshall Mini Jubilee (2525h)

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Other (add comment)

29 vote(s)
    25.2%
  1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Bogner Atma (haven't played)
    Morgan MVP23 (played)

2. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Landry all the way, and I've never even played one. It's simply what I'd choose from your list.

Good luck! I dig the Foo project.

mysticaxe likes this.
  3. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

I voted Friedman Runt but I also like the DS and the PT.

bman5150us and mysticaxe like this.
  4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Silver Supporting Member

I’ve always wanted to try that Soldano. I would also make it a point to play a Mark V25 and/or 35. They are not as easy to demo as the Friedman’s (everything at 12:00 sounds good). You’ll need to turn the knobs, and have some idea where to go, but there is a lot of great tones in there. Love my 25.

That said, if PRS made a 25 watt Archon head, that should be 1st on your list to try. The Archon is AWESOME! But they only make a combo :(

DMVGuitar and mysticaxe like this.
  5. manimal

manimal Member

I will have to say that the Mini Jubilee is probably the most misunderstood amp out there period. Between hearing lots of “too thin”, “too bright”, “volume drops with channels”.....
    It’s really not that hard. The amp DOES have 2 footswitchable channels....you can eeeeasily set the volume of each channel however you want. It can be as bright or dark as you want. It is a highish gain amp, NOT a metal amp. It CRUSHES for thrash and metal with the right boost. It has THE Marshall sound, and pretty much all of them.
    If you want low wattage that can sound good whisper quiet or insanely good at high volume, is small, is British made, EL34....not EL84....and looks killer??? What else is there?!?!

6. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

JTM45/Bluesbreaker
    AC15/30 Underrated amps (with Blues) especially if you want to do your own thing tonally.
    From your list I'd take the Mini Jublilee which is as near to a half stack in a tiny box as is ever likely to appear.... two easy to manage channels.... warm toned like areal big amp.

DMVGuitar and manimal like this.
  7. walshb

walshb Member

Totally agree. This may be one of the most versatile Marshall tube amps ever made. I've tried copying the tones of Gary Moore and Slash and come extremely close, close enough that only a purist could hear the difference IMO. And yes, I can make it "too bright" or "too dark" depending on how I set the knobs. It does all my favorite Marshall tones. That great demo that Pete Thorn posted recently with 3 different amps? I easily got close enough to say "that's it!" when playing along with the demo. Not bragging, just stating what I believe to be fact!

Drew816 and manimal like this.
  8. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Supporting Member

Is it reasonably easy to balance the volumes between the channels on the mini Jube? To me, if I get GnR levels of gain (which I know that amp does to a T), I would be pretty happy.

9. walshb

walshb Member

It can be done, depending on what settings you're using. I've had no problems so far, that I couldn't find a way around. I usually don't use the rhythm clip, but it might be easier to balance the two channels when using it. I use the clean channel, sometimes with a boost if I need some "crunch", and then adjust the gain channel to be just a little louder. It takes some experimentation, but yes, it's relatively easy IMO to find a balance.

10. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

I really like my SOY. Has some noise as do all High Gain amps, but tone and harmonics are the best. Very fun amp to play.

11. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

I agree. It is great for Black Crowes or early Zep. It really cannot get heavier tones.

12. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

I second the suggestion. It checks all the boxes you require.

13. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

How can you endorse an amp you never played?

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I voted "other".
    You wanted a small footprint, effects loop, lower wattage,, and playing with some grit,,.
    THD BiValve.

15. manimal

manimal Member

Hell yeah it is!!
    The lead master volume is your master for the gain/lead channel...and the output master volume is your clean channel master volume. Input gain is the amount of gain/Distortion.
    If all I care about is the fattest gain tone I can get at low volume at the given moment.....then yeah I have to have the output master up high, and the lead master set low. You will have a huge volume jump when set that way from the lead channel to the clean channel. If matched volumes is the biggest concern....just set the channel volumes (lead and output masters to taste) to match by ear. At medium to high volumes the tone is that much better and fuller and you can set the volumes however you like.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    mysticaxe, walshb and blackba like this.
  16. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Marshall DSL15H.

17. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

Fair question. Clips, reputation, features. I've wanted to try one myself.

I wouldn't call it an endorsement though - as one might understand the concept of an endorsement on a gear forum. It was a selection from a list of options.

18. mysticaxe

No FX loop. Not a huge fan of the red channel on the DSL. Doesn’t have the green boosted channel. The rumored new DSL heads are intriguing though.

19. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Supporting Member

I have both the Soldano Hot Rod 25 and the Landry LS30 and both are incredible amps. Both would kill in a cover situation with the HR25 leading for just a hard rock/metal gig and the Landry leading if you do a bunch of clean to mild dirty tunes as well. Landry gets plenty heavy for hard rock/metal and sounds killer doing it but if you do some really heavy stuff, the HR25 has a bit more gain and is a little tighter. That said you can’t go wrong with either one. Oh and both are plenty loud and have no problem cutting in a band. They both really surprise in how loud they can get.

HoboMan and blackba like this.
  20. mysticaxe

Thanks for all the input - I have a Runt 20 inbound. It seems like there is a wealth of really great options (I would still love to try the HR25 and LS30).

blackba and Gallery like this.