Poll: Best choice for low wattage head? (Rock cover band)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mysticaxe, Nov 22, 2017.

Which Lower Wattage head?

1. Friedman Runt 20

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Soldano HR25

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Landry LS-30

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Suhr Badger 30

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Ceriatone 2202 or Son of Yeti

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Marshall Mini Jubilee (2525h)

13 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Other (add comment)

29 vote(s)
    25.2%
  1. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Mesa Mini-Rectifier

2. manimal

manimal Member

Cool! Let us k ow how you like it when it comes in! Exciting times...

3. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

In case you don't end up happy with the Runt, check out Bogner Atma...

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Runt 20 would be my pick too. I think you'll dig it. Chris Shiflett has been rocking a Friedman for a long time now. I have a JJ100 and the BE mode gets his sound. Mix that Marshally Friedman tone with a Vox AC30 you've got the Foo sound. So, if you don't dig the Runt, you could go to an AC30.

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

If your budget allows - Carol Ann Tucana 3r. Little lighter on the $$$ - Carol Ann HS2.

Alan makes the finest gain staged channel switchers I've heard.

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

7. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Supporting Member

I'm trying to get the other guitar player to build a lower wattage rig around either a mini-rectifier or an EVH lunchbox - that's his sound (I'm the Marshally guy)!

NorCal_Val likes this.
  8. mysticaxe

That was one of the main drivers. It is also a little easier on the wallet than the Landry or Soldano.

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious about the Landry. I really like the clips I'm hearing.

Do you think it would work in a Rock/Country/Pop band? We play stuff like: Godsmack, Foo Fighters, Blondie, Elton John, Miranda Lambert, Dixie Chicks etc.

I'm currently using a Budda SD30 and it works great but I'm thinking about picking up another amp just to try something different.

10. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Supporting Member

Absolutely without a doubt. It would excel for all of it IMHO.

11. Artjr

Artjr Member

Agree 100%. People that say this amp is too thin or too bright, could never have owed one. The truth is you can't trust anything you read on here. Most of its TGP fake reviews.

manimal likes this.
  12. 71strat

71strat Member

I would have looked into a Fryette Power Station. $700.. 1-50w. Effects Loop ect. 2 x 6L6/1 x 12ax7. Use your own amps.:banana:dunno.

ADD???
    SOLDANO SLO MODULE - SYNERGY 2 CHANNEL ALL TUBE PREAMP MODULE - 2 x 12AX7. $400

PS would also allow you to crank, and attenuate your louder amps, or Reamp your 18w Marshall up to 50w... Or you could get a 5w Champ, and reamp it with PS to 10- 50w. 50w Champ?:eeks:bow with 1 or 2 x 12 Celestion Creams:crazyguy:crazyguy:Devil

The PS is a really nice piece of gear though.:love::love:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. mysticaxe

I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that...

71strat likes this.
  14. humbucking

humbucking Supporting Member

15. manimal

manimal Member

Well the other thing is preference too. After almost a decade break from playing guitar...my first tube amp was an EL84 Gibson GA5. Yes...I miss that amp!!! But, it was dark. I wanted an amp with more power, a master and more gain. Orange Tiny Terror. In comparison to what I had, the overdrive was more pleasing and way heavier. Again, EL84 and dark sounding. Then to a JCA20 combo. Brighter amp this time But still EL84. Then a Crate Vintage Club 30....yadayada similar setup. Obviously I wasn’t loving what I was hearing because I was flipping so much, that list goes on and on from there with other similar amps. I was in a comfort zone but not satisfied. The few times I played an actual Marshall at stores, my ears would completely flip out and reject what I was hearing. “Too bright, harsh, buzzy”.....like the equivalence to my old man telling me to “shut that garbage/noise off!!!!” When I was a kid listening to some rippin metal hahaha!!!
    Back to amps...like testing the water slowly in a cold pool....slowly but surely after doing more studio work...I needed more brightness...more cut. More attitude. More rawness. More presence. More grind, more kerrang!! A few amps later and I found my current Marshall. And a Marshall that can morph through scooped to prominent mids IF I want them.
    Side note....
    Try all your guitars through any and all new amp purchases. The guitar type, neck-scale, pickups...all that make a huge difference. Some amp/guitar combinations can be magical. Others, not.

16. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I understand that everyone has had different experiences with different wattage heads and speaker cabs.
    My experience has shown me that I prefer a 50 watt head that has a variac, which lowers the wattage.
    Why? Just as with a car, or other vehicle, it's one thing to slow down from a faster speed (read higher wattage), but it's impossible to speed up (read increase volume) when you have your foot flat out on the accelerator, and you are not going fast enough.

Whenever I used an amp with just the minimum wattage, I always had volume issues. Yes, it could be that the band would need to turn down, or my channel on the PA would need to be brought up, but whatever the reason, I could never get to the point that I was playing at a balanced volume where I was heard out front. This was with amp heads having 20 watts. Also, the overall bigness of my guitar sound was not enough with so little wattage. ymmv

17. mysticaxe

While I agree with that sentiment, here is my position -
    My current main amp is a JCM800/2204. With EL-34s, I've never turned it up past ~2 without drowning everyone out. Replaced the EL-34s with 6v6's, and now I can run on 3! I guess I'm thinking of the "horses for courses" paradigm.

C-4 likes this.
  18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    With 100 watt heads, unless the MV is really a terrific one, and without a variac built in, as on some newer heads, I use Smicz TACS. These are one watt valves with a base to allow them to be placed into the larger power valve sockets, rebiasing is automatic, so you can either run four of these 1 watt valves, or two of them and two of the regular power valves. Also, I have Yellow Jackets, which also may be used or combined with any of the other power valves. You can set the wattage to varying levels to be able to turn your amp up and use it's sound with less volume.

I did this with my VH4 and Herbert amps. I ran them at 4 watts, and when I combined them with the Yellow Jackets, I was running at 20 watts. I was actually surprised how loud I could get them, but I was able to run those amps at the upper range of the volume controls, get power valve saturation at beautifully low levels and with a 2x12, the sound was big, and powerful without being loud.

SamPaoli likes this.
  19. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

Completely agree, the Mini Jubilee is such a good amp. Is a Friedman better? Maybe but over here they're something like 2-3x the price. I didn't like the greenback to start with but now it's broken in a bit I'm getting on nicely with it. Through my H30/V30 2x12 it's just huge. When my band starts gigging I think I'm gonna get a long speaker cable and run the combo speaker one side of the stage and my cab the other. Should sound massive for 1 guitar!

manimal likes this.
  20. manimal

manimal Member

Well, a Friedman Smallbox, BE-50/100, Phil X is “better” yes hahaha. Maybe PT-20...but Just not as versatile. I’d loooove it if Marshall made a matching 1x12 to stack...yes I’m a matcher hahaha!! But hell yeah, I can imagine a 2 x 12 sounds killer with this amp!!