Poll: Did you grow into your guitar preferences or did you "discover" them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jupiter Tarts, Jul 13, 2019.

How did you develop your guitar preference?

1. Grew into it

67 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. "Clicked" one day and discovered my preference

35 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. jalmer

jalmer Member

It took me several years to determine what guitar works best for me and what scale i prefer (24 3/4). But variety is nice.
    I love fender scale but the reaches can be harder. That's pretty much the issue.

2. scotty31

scotty31 Member

I started on a strat and still play them regularly

I fought LPs for a long time before i became comfortable with them.

So a bit of both with those 2, which are my main guitars.
    It took me a while to realise i don't like Dreadnaughts (love the tone, just don't like the way the shape sits) and that a J45 or OM (or parlour) suit me better.

I am yet to bond with a tele that i fall in love with. Im onto #5 now (52RI hot rod).
    Early days, but i can't see it lasting all that long tbh.

From the moment i had a 50s style LP Junior, i loved it. Raw yet balanced. And it inspired.

3. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Because I grew up on the Calif. coastline I was programed to prefer blonds.
    I took a walk on the wild side, and to this day, a red headed young lady still holds a huge piece of my heart.
    Woops...wrong thread.
    Carry on.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I think for most people its an evolution of experience and application of that experiential knowledge to guitar preference. The minority would be - "it just clicked and I stuck with it". I have a main set of features that I love most and I have a guitar that fits those exactly. But man, I like too many different guitar sounds to use just one guitar. Now for neck shape, radius and scale length - that is constant throughout almost all of my guitars. That's another evolution - but I've got that down to basically a singular set of measurements.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Member

I’ve been all over the place over the years, but the first guitar I actually bought for myself was a 24.75” scale Fender Cyclone. I’ve had 25.5” scale many times since then, but the LP scale is what’s most immediately comfortable and easier to play for me.

As far as pickups, I was all about high output as a teen, then got into a big PAF craze over the years. Now I’m just for whatever suits the guitar. My current has a high output bridge and a PAF neck so there you go.

6. Sunshower

Sunshower Member

I've tried so hard to be a strat guy, but ultimately I just feel at home on a tele. Something bout it just feels right. I own a little $200 squier affinity and it is just fantastic. Its been a great experience for me. Pleasantly surprised and very happy and I own guitars that are upper price range.

7. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

My first guitar was a MIM Standard Strat. About a year into playing, I also got a Les Paul (Epiphone).

A quarter century later, I still have both of those, and so many more. But, almost all of the ones I've acquired since then are double-cutaway, bolt neck, 25.5" scale, fairly S-shaped guitars in various configurations. However, they all have humbuckers at neck and bridge positions, bigger frets, and flatter fretboard radii. I guess I've gone and taken the best parts of each platform for what I need!

8. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Grew into it. My tastes changed as I got older, most particularly I would say going from higher output pickups to lower ones. Also, as a younger person I hate, HATED, Teles - the sound and the look of them. Now, to me, they're the best thing going I had no idea how cool they really are.

9. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

When is was probably 12 or 13 and told my parents I wanted to play guitar they got me a Lotus Strat copy in black. I’ve been a Strat player ever since. They just feel right to me and always have.

I’ve owned Teles and Les Pauls as well and neither took. I did just get a PRS Custom 22 which I’m liking a lot...but that’s likely because it combines the things I like about a Les Paul and presents it in a very Strat like package, haha. But really, since day one of me playing guitar Strats have been the ones that felt right and I just clicked with.

10. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Member

Very first ever guitar was a Gibson flying V...never forget it. Deep blue with white binding. Have never seen another like it. I was 15 and clueless and felt funny about the flying V shape so I returned it. Even the memory of it tells me now that it was an exceptional instrument. So I returned it and got a Westone by Electra. :facepalm

Anyways. Around 19 I got a beautiful AMstrat. Mid-90's with Lace pickups. Neck was awesome but just felt off to me. Traded straight up for a Gibson LPStudio that I have and love to this day.

Having picked up the guitar again 5 years ago, I have tried many. Current love is a Warmoth Tele with a boatneck style neck. Think that neck profile is locked in. Have an '74 Guild SG style, the Studio and a G&L s500. Really loving the tele but wanna try some P90. Been looking at used PRS soapbars and G&L Ascari but haven't jumped yet.

Gotta say still growing into it.