Poll: Did you keep your Fractal/Helix/Kemper/Amplifire or go back to amps and pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitardave, Feb 2, 2017.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Not on this list, but I have an Eleven Rack. I like it for recording or playing around at home. Sounds cool run into a little tube champ and into a 2x12 cab with greenbacks (cab sims turned off on the Eleven Rack.) Doesn't sound quite as nice using it with full range monitors although I've had some pretty damn nice results when running Eleven Rack-->HHB Radius tube mic preamp-->Monitors. Running the tube mic pre to have a bit of clipping really warms up the tone and removes some harshness while still letting it have bite.

Guitardave likes this.
  2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Yeah - I couldn't really extend it beyond four choices so I went with the most commonly discussed units. I had the 11R for awhile but didn't use it enough to keep it - mostly because I'm usually looking for floor based units. That new Headrush board is based on the 11R modeling and looks really cool!!

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

This is a fantastic post, thanks for taking the time!

Darl likes this.
  4. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Runt 50...just a fantastic amp

lowpaygigs likes this.
  5. Guitardave

Bump for more feedback!! Check out the update results/summary in the first post.

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Fractal Axe-FX Std the month it was issued. . I had it about 7 years maybe and used it on an off at home only. Thought it was great but never incorporated it into my gigging. I sold that last year and bought a Fractal AX8. I used it every day at home, and then started using it at my gigs 3-4 months ago . . I LOVE it and would never ever hesitate to use it at any gig ever. I do use a rackmount guitar power amp by Engl and use my Jenkins 2x12 guitar cab. I can use any amp's fx loop though or any other cab I own too. .. It's KILLER .. . . . So meanwhile, I have Gower, Fortin, Bradshaw, Morin, Egnater, Butler, Rockstah, Voodoo-modded Marshalls, stock Marshalls, Splawn, stock Mesa, Orange, Demeter and many others. . They all work great. . LOVE amps, and LOVE the AX8. . I think at this point in my life my favorite gigging amps for me are Splawns, and the Fractal AX8. . I don't fit into many internet forum-molds :)

Guitardave likes this.
  7. Guitardave

strike3 likes this.
  8. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Just picked up a Kemper Profiler Power Head and matching Profiler Remote. Literally stunned at how good this thing is. Will preface that statement by saying it's only as good as the Profiles that are used. Pete Thorn was VERY specific about that in his review of the Kemper a year ago as well. Like Pete Thorn, I've been using the profiles done by Michael Britt. Nashville guy. Founding member of the Band Lonestar. He uses a couple of Kempers, (studio and live), as well as profiling every tube amp he has, and just about every tube amp that comes through his studio. His studio quality profiles are arguably the best in the business, and were easily the best of the ones that came with the Kemper. I have been using his Jim Kelly and Dumble profiles. Understand he got a chance to profile Keith Urban's Dumble as well as an earlier Jim Kelly amp. The profiles are stunning and the tone, sound, vibe, harmonics, and touch sensitivity are second to none. Plays and feels as if I'm playing a tube amp, and his Dumble profiles rank right up there with the best of the boutique D style amps I've played and owned. Go out on a limb here and say maybe even better. Still in the so called "honeymoon phase" but this is a SERIOUS piece of Pro Gear that sounds and feels nothing like any modeller I have ever played before. Must say that I would certainly think this is a tube amp if I was hearing it without knowing what I was listening to.

:)

p.mo, Darl and Guitardave like this.
  9. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Not on the list, but had a Line 6 Firehawk 1500. Thought it was great....until I a/b'd it with my tube amps (handwired Fender & Marshall & Vox & Matchless) - annnnnnnddd....sold it.

I've yet to hear or a play a modeler that FELT right. Never tried a Kemper, but have no desire to. I'm 100% happy with tube amps.

10. retro

retro Member

Have yet to get too involved
    with Kemper, et al.

If I was gigging and traveling
    again I would definitely want to look at a Kemper.

Despite buying 2 full stack SL100 Marshall's in '72 as a teenager and playing those for years... I've never had an issue with what was delivering the tone if I liked it.

Does still owning a Johnson J-Station count for anything? I still use it into a cheap starved plate tube pre into an interface. It's pretty awesome for some things.

Anyway, I thought the linked
    Anderton video may be of some interest in this thread.

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

I had a HD500x, Mesa Roadster rig. 4 presets per song, with 4 on/off stomps per preset. I worked hard to get the right tones and especially the right levels. We played a gig with a supplied back line and the hd500x died in the middle of song 1. I unplugged it and went straight into the amp half way through that song and the rest of the set, controlling volume and gain riding the guitars volume pot. No one in the band noticed.

I ditched that amp and only use the hd500x for demo recordings, using only the amp models, no FX. My live rig is now an el34 head with a delay as essential.

Live tone is better, and even some tone snobs compliment my recorded tones with my now dated modeller.

12. Guitardave

13. Guitardave

Bump for continuing feedback...cast your votes over in the main thread!!

14. jpage

jpage Member

Guitardave likes this.
  15. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

Great thread. For someone who is thinking about modeling options, this is great info. Thanks @Guitardave

Guitardave likes this.
  16. Guitardave

Agreed...

17. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

How do you set up your AX8 for gigs? Do you stay in one preset and use the foot switches for stomp effects?

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi there, I build my own presets (programs) , and tend to use only about 2 per gig. There's dozens of ways to make this stuff work with the AX8 but for me I'll use a pretty gainy amp model (Cameron or Splawn or something like that) and then set up 1 Expression pedal to control the gain. .I set a minimum point and a maximum point say for a Cameron amp, and then I have access to quite a few sounds just by using that expression pedal. . Then I'll set up the ax8 footswitches for a solo boost, say a chorus, a phaser, a drive pedal , or gain boost pedal, a delay , a reverb,etc, just like a regular pedalboard. . I can easily set up the pedals in 'scenes' so that say when I step on 1 , then 3 different effects come on . . I can also use scenes to make 3 fx come on, the eq change, and the gain to change. . it's really easily done once you've owned a Fractal piece for a little while (to me anyway) . . I can stay on the 1 program my whole gig with my band ( 40-50 tunes in a night) , or switch programs for totally different sounds. I do NOT tend to use different amp models within 1 program, but many people probably do . I use a 2nd expression pedal as a WAH and to be honest I like the wah more than all of my hi-end wahs I own.

Eric

Darl and Guitardave like this.
  19. Bogner

Bogner Member

I haven't purchased anything on the modeling side etc because I like my tube amps and until they can sound, respond, feel like a tube amp in all scenarios I am not going down that path.

20. Guitardave

The modeling is already there for my rather picky tastes. The issue is the re-amplification of the modeled signal thru a FRFR or PA system. That doesn't meet the requirement. Plug a modeler into a high quality, neutral poweramp into a guitar cabinet and it does.

Personally I think the hybrid of using a modeler with a real amp is the best of both worlds. I still do many gigs with a tube amp, sometimes with the Helix, other times I just use the amp and a pedal. Depends on the gig.

Way too much hype and exaggerations on both sides of the tubes vs. modeler discussion!