• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Poll: FM9, QC, Stomp XL or Jam Pedals Pink Flow. What would you pick if you were "in my shoes"

Which would you recommend in my situation:

• Total voters

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Just sold off a boatload of old pedals/etc. and the FM9 invite showed up. Currently have a Stomp XL.

What to do? So far I never seem to keep Fractal gear but the FM9 solves many of the "form factor" and practical issues that I didn't like about previous products.

Things that have changed - positives on the FM9:
  • Not worried about it being suitable for gigs.
  • I've given up on using digital except at home so my gripes with the hardware interface aren't a big deal. And frankly the Stomp UI isn't anything to get excited about either. It's only the Floor that I really liked.
  • I've got a different setup where being plugged into a computer doesn't bother me. Fractal editor is great.
  • Doing a lot more headphone/silent practicing
  • I like the overall package of the FM9...extra footswitches, USB recording, etc.
  • It's likely to still be in demand for awhile - if I don't bond with it then I doubt I'll lose much.
  • I've always liked Fractal modeling when I want "recorded" tones - just not my thing for live stuff.

Things that haven't changed - negatives:
  • I've been down the path with Fractal so many times already (Ultra, AX8, FX8, Axe III) and it never really has clicked for me and I stick with the Helix platform.
  • Already have a Stomp XL which already handles anything practical that I want
  • If I'm going to spend the money why not go for Quad Cortex?
  • Common sense - my "needs" are already more than covered so why waste the money. It won't help me become a better musician. I don't have any jones to record original music, at most I hit record with a backing track.
  • I already get "great tone" from the Helix. I like what I get with Fractal as well but it's not some huge quality improvement.

Questions:

How is the FM9 for simply USB recording/audio streaming etc.? One of the things I love about the Helix is how well all that works.
Does the FM9 have adjustable input impedance like the Axe III?
Anyone have both the FM9 and QC? Which did you keep?

And just for fun I'll make it a "poll"...

But remember this is what you'd recommend to someone else - not necessarily what you'd choose for yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've opted to stick with the existing stable of gear. The Stomp XL and pedalboard are sticking around. Experimenting with some different pedals on the board but that's not an expensive decision. Buy/sell/trade and see what I like best.

Last edited:
I think you're in a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" situation here. You get great tones with the Helix. You like the UI, the USB recording. You don't seem to bond with Fractal gear long term.

Getting into the QC might be fun, but I bet when you get there you're going to miss the mature set of models and effects on the Helix side.

TonyCass

I get the feeling from your post that you are looking to buy something. Even if sticking with the Stomp XL is the "right" decision ... since you are asking the question it must be wrong :)

Do you feel like something is missing?

The FM9 is A LOT bigger than the Stomp XL. Does this matter to you?

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I would look at the time factor. It will take you a fair amount of time to learn everything on a new device. If you look forward to this, it will be a nice way to treat yourself and keep yourself off the streets. If you just want some additional options, it will cost you time (and money).

James Freeman

Here is how I deal with GAS and confusion.

I legitimately ask myself this question:
How many minutes do I play and practice daily?

Then I proceed to play my current gear for as long as I feel, and ask myself this question:
For this amount of time, is it worth spending X amount of money?

Sometimes the first question is enough to cure GAS for a week.
It comes back though.

Madmax25

Sounds to me like you’re better off sticking with the Stomp.

Since you’re not planning to gig with it, and in fact only using it at home, why do you want the extra foot switches of the FM9? If you were to make the switch to Fractal (again…) wouldn’t the FM3 make more sense?

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds to me like you’re better off sticking with the Stomp.

Since you’re not planning to gig with it, and in fact only using it at home, why do you want the extra foot switches of the FM9? If you were to make the switch to Fractal (again…) wouldn’t the FM3 make more sense?
Good points!

Even at home I often practice standing up. Having the extra foot switches let's me toggle effects on and off like a pedal board. That's why I went for the Stomp XL over the regular Stomp.

I

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Here is how I deal with GAS and confusion.

I legitimately ask myself this question:
How many minutes do I play and practice daily?

Then I proceed to play my current gear for as long as I feel, and ask myself this question:
For this amount of time, is it worth spending X amount of money?

Sometimes the first question is enough to cure GAS for a week.
It comes back though.
+1

Very true!!!

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
I would look at the time factor. It will take you a fair amount of time to learn everything on a new device. If you look forward to this, it will be a nice way to treat yourself and keep yourself off the streets. If you just want some additional options, it will cost you time (and money).
That's the essence of the GAS dilemma!

Kevin Thompson

You seem like a helix man. At first thought I'd say to stick with it unless you want to get into the capture thing with the QC. Ultimately I'd say try the fm9 and get on the QC waitlist somewhere. If you don't gel with the fm9 sell it for a small profit and save that money to put towards the QC when that comes up.

Watt McCo

Supporting Member
Just sold off a boatload of old pedals/etc. and the FM9 invite showed up. Currently have a Stomp XL.

What to do? So far I never seem to keep Fractal gear but the FM9 solves many of the "form factor" and practical issues that I didn't like about previous products.

Things that have changed - positives on the FM9:
  • Not worried about it being suitable for gigs.
  • I've given up on using digital except at home so my gripes with the hardware interface aren't a big deal. And frankly the Stomp UI isn't anything to get excited about either. It's only the Floor that I really liked.
  • I've got a different setup where being plugged into a computer doesn't bother me. Fractal editor is great.
  • Doing a lot more headphone/silent practicing
  • I like the overall package of the FM9...extra footswitches, USB recording, etc.
  • It's likely to still be in demand for awhile - if I don't bond with it then I doubt I'll lose much.
  • I've always liked Fractal modeling when I want "recorded" tones - just not my thing for live stuff.

Things that haven't changed - negatives:
  • I've been down the path with Fractal so many times already (Ultra, AX8, FX8, Axe III) and it never really has clicked for me and I stick with the Helix platform.
  • Already have a Stomp XL which already handles anything practical that I want
  • If I'm going to spend the money why not go for Quad Cortex?
  • Common sense - my "needs" are already more than covered so why waste the money. It won't help me become a better musician. I don't have any jones to record original music, at most I hit record with a backing track.
  • I already get "great tone" from the Helix. I like what I get with Fractal as well but it's not some huge quality improvement.

Questions:

How is the FM9 for simply USB recording/audio streaming etc.? One of the things I love about the Helix is how well all that works.
Does the FM9 have adjustable input impedance like the Axe III?
Anyone have both the FM9 and QC? Which did you keep?

And just for fun I'll make it a "poll"...

But remember this is what you'd recommend to someone else - not necessarily what you'd choose for yourself.
What Jive said. FM9 does have variable input impedance. It uses same USB audio chipset as the III sonI suspect that's fine.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
You seem like a helix man. At first thought I'd say to stick with it unless you want to get into the capture thing with the QC. Ultimately I'd say try the fm9 and get on the QC waitlist somewhere. If you don't gel with the fm9 sell it for a small profit and save that money to put towards the QC when that comes up.
I call that stepping on the GAS pedal!!

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
I get the feeling from your post that you are looking to buy something. Even if sticking with the Stomp XL is the "right" decision ... since you are asking the question it must be wrong :)

Do you feel like something is missing?

The FM9 is A LOT bigger than the Stomp XL. Does this matter to you?
Yes, it's definitely a GAS attack. Maybe just get the Jam Pedals Pink Flow instead!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom