Poll: Malmsteen - Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Nov 7, 2019.

Are you a fan of Malmsteen?

1. Yes

48.9%
  2. No

51.1%
  1. twotone

twotone Member

I've never heard him play chords. Single note playing gets boring to listen to after a while. If it's rock music, there has to be some power chords in there too.

jazzbludgeon and PRSAtomic like this.
  2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Technically, power chords aren't chords, at all.

You need three tones to create a chord, not just two.

And YJM doesn't play thirds...

He's still awesome, though.

3. GMGM

GMGM Supporting Member

I'm a big fan. I don't really get into metal or anything, but I've always been drawn to him like a moth to flame. I always loved his tone, even if it would never work for me personally. And he plays with more "feeling" than most guitar players (even a lot of the so called "more-feeling-in-one-note" kinds of guys).

That said, I saw him Sioux City, IA at the Hard Rock a few months ago. He was stupidly loud. Like STUPID. It was not enjoyable. I was wearing ear plugs, and had to add a second set and really cram them in. It was still too loud. I felt sick to my stomach, and had to leave the room several times. It was the biggest train wreck I've ever seen. He was having an off night, kept yelling at his tech every time he made a mistake. He went through 3 guitars in his first song. It was pretty rediculous, and highly disappointing. There is no way it could have been legal to operate at those SPL's in a concert hall.

I've seen him several times, and this was the worst. Hopefully next time he'll have his sh#t together.

PRSAtomic likes this.
  4. adolan

adolan Member

Saw him open for AC/DC in the 80s, wasn't interested then, never got interested after...technical whatever aside it leaves me with nothing. so I voted NO

5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

And if it's gonna be like that then I'd much rather listen to Guthrie Govan any day.

PRSAtomic likes this.
  6. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

7. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Some of us lived through Yngwie's arrival on the scene as part of the next generation of guitar heroes following in the footsteps of Ed and Randy. His contemporaries were Lynch, Jake, DeMartini, Vai, Smith & Murray, Gillis & Watson, and a long list of other name players. Yngwie stood out from the pack. His impact was immediate and widespread among metal players.

This was my introduction to him:

I've always been impressed with his precision, intonation and musicality as a player. There's fire in his playing and he's capable of some truly stunning virtuosity. But his output since the 80's is just tedious and repetitive. He lacks taste and restraint. He needed a real musical partner who could contain that ever expanding ego.

Still, I'm a fan of his contributions to the guitar. It would be a lot more boring without him.

8. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Love him. Tone, style, gear, phrasing, attitude, and music.

ethereal cereal and Machew like this.
  9. tastylicks

tastylicks Member

Holy Crap!! This video is hilarious. Spinal Tap outtake. The dragon, wizard or whoever. Classic! Thanks for posting.

jazzbludgeon likes this.
  10. RonH

RonH Member

I remember being a kid and my friend and I sat down with Rising Force and this is what we heard....

Our jaws dropped. There was nothing like Yngwie at the time. We were completely blown away and this is still one of my favorite albums today. He played with such precision, fire, passion, and emotion...yes EMOTION! I grew up hearing from all the blues guys about how Yngwie had no feeling which was funny because his playing sure resonated with me and he wrote some of the most beautiful stuff I had ever heard. So yeah, count me as a fan.

11. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

It was pretty funny back in the day also. Like a bad homage to Arnold's Conan the Barbarian.

12. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Great player. Don't like his personality or find his music to be particularly compelling.