POLL: Randy Rhoads or Michael Schenker?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Nov 20, 2019.

POLL: Randy Rhoads or Michael Schenker?

1. Randy Rhoads

54.8%
  2. Michael Schenker

45.2%
  1. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

I love schenker but what randy did over two albums. Mr Crowley, diary of a madman (the song) revelation Mother Earth, crazy train was really prolific. Insanely so. As much as I love ufo. I think a lot of their albums contain ponderous filler. Also I Believe Pete way came up with the riffs of too hot to handle and only you can rock me. Although Michael helped on that beautiful melodic part. Then again Michael was really young so maybe he gets some slack. I think songwriting is a big part of your total value as a musician. I do like schenkers tone phrasing and attack. I hear more schenker in slash’s playing than I do joe perry.

2. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Both are true genius type monster players and composers.
    However, Schenker stands heads and shoulders above all other hard rock guitarists. Listen to his vibrato, his bends, his phrasing, his finesse, his tone, etc. Everything Schenker plays is pure music; no noise, no fluff, no senseless noodling, etc.
    Schenker is the Jeff Beck of heavy rock guitar.
    Schenker is the Eric Johnson of heavy rock guitar.

3. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain Member

I went with Rhoads .. But with hesitation .. Schenker has a much longer career and thereby a much greater body of work .. So i had to consider that .. and had to consider Rhoads in a concentrated sense .. and ponder Rhoads' potential development and refinement .. After some musing, though i appreciate his shoot from the hip, often emotional leads .. Though, through the years, his technique has really improved, Michael Schenker is not the victor ..

Rhoads was blessed with chops .. I mean CHOPS .. He had an inimitable comprehension of music theory, .. Moreover, that guy had style .. His OWN style .. His was the marriage of flash and melodic structure With Rhoads, wondrously flowing legatos morphed into crazy fast palm-muted picking passages .. Almost risky chromatic maneuvers coexisted with classically influenced melodies derived from an endless supply of arpeggios and scales played over a quickly and always changing rhythmic landscape. Rhoads played with precision .. I have read that he was so precise that he could actually seamlessly double track anything he played to achieve an impressive, admirable density .. I had no choice .. All hype aside .. Rhoads was an amazing technician .. And his knowledge of theory was through the roof .. Sorry, Schenker .. Rhoads ... Commandingly .. Rhoads

noisebloom and plisken like this.
  4. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Rhoads was embarassed .. True .. Production could have been better .. In hindsight, he could have been better .. Done more .. he was a perfectionist .. This is normal behavior for a perfectionist .. QR productions were not as well-funded as Ozzy's .. QR didnt have Ozzy money so theirs was much more raw .. Less polish .. Its not a "bad" thing .... It's just ..... < shrugs > a thing .. Rhoads was embarassed because it could have been better .. His thinking changed over the years and he would have liked to have that opportunity back .. Very normal

You are completely right .. QR made fine albums .. They fueled Rhoads' growth .. They were a springboard .. Gave him momentum .. Encouraged growth .. Building blocks .. I agree with you, sir, ... 100% ..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    noisebloom and TheWalkingShred like this.
  5. Breakwater

Breakwater Member

Schenker Only because I have been a fan since the first Scorpions album.

6. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

I really disagree with the idea that Rhoads tones on BOO and DoaMM were the result of over polishing.

It is well documented that Rhoads was triple, even quadruple tracking his rhythm and solo parts.

They were also experimenting with a combination of near field and far field mic’ing on those albums.

I personally believe Rhoads BoO Tone was a train wreck and that it was a result of them not really having the techniques down for the triple tracking and mic’ing they were doing. A lot of fighting for frequency space with all Rhoads tracks on BoO. Don’t believe me? Get an isolated track of Rhoads from BoO and listen to it slowed down. It is very hard to tell what is going on.

By DoaMM, I think they had started to figure out how to record Rhoads. Isolated tracks from DoaMM are still triple tracked and mic’d both the near and far field, but it is easier to hear what is going on in isolated tracks.

Live it was a single guitar, mic’d near field. Much easier to set into a mix.

Maxx Norman discusses recording of BoO and DoaMM and Rhoads use of triple tracking: https://www.rocknrollinsight.com/2017/07/recording-blizzard-of-ozz-diary-of.html

Maxx Norman discusses recording of BoO and gives details of mic placement (1 mic on each cone, 1 mic at 8 ft, 1 mic at 20 ft. mixed down to a single or stereo track.) and Rhoads gear (he used a Marshall full stack not a pig nose):
    https://www.guitarworld.com/features/randy-rhoads-blizzard-king

watson503 and noisebloom like this.
  7. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

NorCal_Val and CaptNasty like this.
  8. WildRanger

WildRanger Member

That's an exaggeration. I think Randy could never touch Blackmore or Eddie Van Halen.

FusionRock likes this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Wow, Prairie Sun! Talk about a blast from the past! I remember driving by often. Our band, Animal Farm, won a few Battle of the Bands back in the early 90s and some hours of recording at Prairie Sun was one of the prizes. I didn't make it to that recording. Cracks me up that the UFO guys from the Midlands (?) would wanna go to NorCal to record a rekid =-D

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

This tune is a great example of his soloing style, IMO...love his vibrato...he was pretty hot at this show.

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I love 'em both. Poll needs an option reflecting that.

I really love this mistake. This should be a real word -- an adverb: "He's very potentional."

aynirar27 likes this.
  12. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

I disagree. Randy recorded two albums worth of material, and sparked a cultural revolution. Nearly every guitar manufacturer began building pointed headstock guitars, in an effort to compete with Randy's "Original Sin" headstock design. ESP, BC Rich, Fender, Gibson, Washburn, Peavey, Carvin, Guild, etc...

Van Halen:
    By the time Ozzy and Randy came onto the scene, Van Halen had already sold-out to pop radio. The 1st album was spectacular! Van Halen II was about as radio friendy as any pop rock album could possibly be. Beautiful Girls - You're No Good - Dance The Night Away - Women In Love... Really? I threw the cassette out the window. Done!

Rainbow:
    Ritchie Blackmore cira 1979. IMO, Stargazer is the best rock song ever written. When RJD left, Rainbow was done. Since You Been Gone - Bad Girl - Love's No Friend - Lost In Hollywood... Really? From Rainbow to Rainblow. Done!

Where would Randy have taken the music next?

13. el greco

el greco Member

Schenker was incredible in the '70s but lost his way in the 1980's and was never quite the same again. I loved how he would build and develop his leads on those 1970's UFO albums, I loved the way he would colour beautiful phrases around Phil Mogg's vocals. His playing was so sophisticated and meticulous for his age.

Randy Rhoads was a very rare talent. Sadly, he passed at 25 years of age. Way too young. From the Ozzy albums that he played on, there is a technical virtuosity that stands out and cannot be denied. Randy was one of a kind. I particularly loved his ability to create an immense tension through his playing and then resolve all that tension in a completely unique and glorious way.
    I don't feel that it is fair to compare Randy to other musicians. Simply because we'll never know what could have been, where he could have taken his tremendous talent.

noisebloom and Goldfinger62 like this.
  14. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Walk On Water could have been UFO's counter-punch to Huey Lewis & The News' Sports.
    I bought the original back in like '96-ish (?), so I have no knowledge of any bonus tracks. :D I'm not a diehard either way - hence my non-voting status (I like them both immensely!) - early on I just happen to have bonded very closely to W.O.W. on a bunch of different levels.

Having said that, I looked at George Bellas's site but didn't have a chance to hear his music yet; I am looking forward to hearing some of his tunes!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  15. tonefinger

tonefinger Member

Schenker for me, although I liked Randy too. His melodic phrasing is exquisite.

16. 10string

10string Member

Randy.

And as much love and respect that I have for Michael, I like Matthias more.

Diary and Blizzard are landmark metal albums.

17. Man_on_the_Silva_Mountain

Respectfully, i disagree. Also, youre being subjective .. TheWalkingShred was being objective.

Please do not take this the wrong way; i am in no way .. Shape .. Or form .. Disrespecting your opinion .. but rather than piggy-backing .. rather than forming your opinion based upon one that's been spoon-fed to you .. Listen to it .. Explore it .. rather than be close-minded, try to see what someone else sees .. If you dont see it .. if you still feel the same way .. fine .. now you have a more solid basis for your opinion .. if perhaps you feel differently in the wake of having listened to it. .. there is no shame in this ...the choice is always your own: be influenced .. Or be informed.

18. Brooks

Brooks Member

Yep. I know this is TGP, but I'd rather hear RR, Dime, or chorus era Sco than some mediocre half hearted stuff with creamy booteek tone.

John 14:6 likes this.
  19. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

20. Boston617

Boston617 Member

You reeeeally should have listened to Women & Children First and Fair Warning.

Brooks and MGT like this.