Poll: Rate this tone (David Grissom content)

This tone is:

• 10: stunning

• 5: average

• 1: junk

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Badcat Panther on this clip, sounds great! But, Big Mike is right the McCarty is a little more focused IMO. Loved the old Ely live cd, great tone happening there. I've seen (once) a Austin City Limits show of Storyville from years ago where he sounded killin'. Anybody have that recorded somewhere?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Badcat Panther on this clip, sounds great! But, Big Mike is right the McCarty is a little more focused IMO. Loved the old Ely live cd, great tone happening there. I've seen (once) a Austin City Limits show of Storyville from years ago where he sounded killin'. Anybody have that recorded somewhere?
Could be I'm liking the marshall more than the badcat in the mix too...more mids.

cg

Gold Supporting Member
Point:

i would get down on my knees and thank (insert my choice or not of deity here) If I could play/sound like EITHER of these guys daily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCEFNRYf44s
That is so great! The thing I love about Audley Freed, David Grissom, Warren Haynes and Mark Knopfler is their phrasing and patience. They never rush anything. They don't blow by you with a flurry of notes. They are masters at crafting incredibly beautiful, melodic music.

In an attempt to get better at that myself, I have been practicing playing solos on only one or two strings to get out of my terrible rut of playing scales. I am trying to think melody first.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
Nice, dark, thick, smokey.......great tone for what they're doin......Dont think I would like it on everything.......but for that its perfect.......that tone would sound great for slide work too!! Loved it!

OldSchool

I gave it a 10 without even thinking about it. Hollowbodies rock. Hollowbodies played by DG are Godlike.

GAT

Love it! That has every frequency and harmonic in the universe!

radcliff

Judging on only tone, I gave it a 7.

It wasn't as dynamic as I was hoping, it seemed very fuzzed out. Like he couldn't get clean out of it if he wanted to.

JPenn

Watch the videos witchita has up with DG. I don't think the amps have as much to do with his current tone as the pedals.

mosesblues

Silver Supporting Member
DG and Storyville.

Any time I need to recalibrate my compass for tone and playing the rights notes in the groove, I just pop in a Storyville CD and let it roll.

I like the solidbody tone a little more as it is more mid focused, but have to give this a 9 for all the freqs he pulls out of it.

Thanks for sharing.!

Moses

big mike

Cathode biased
It ain't the gear folks.

Dave's tone was pretty damn close to that with a mahogany PRS through a Hiwatt back with Ely.

It's in his hands. That said, his tone is a bit more scooped with the badcat.

Definitely my tonal compass.

Trending Topics