POLL: Stargazer or Kashmir?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Jan 31, 2020.

POLL: Stargazer or Kashmir?

1. Rainbow - Stargazer

39.2%
  2. Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

60.8%
  1. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Cozy's intro iconic, Dio's vocal incredible but LZ by a wide margin.
    Don't think there'd be a Stargszer without a Kashmir, ya know?'

2. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Stargazer - for the simple reason that Cozy Powell out-Bonhamed Bonham on this one. And for many other reasons, actually.

3. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Firstly, if I never hear Kashmir again I don't suppose I’d worry too much, nor do I expect it would stop it making occasional guest appearances in my dreams.

And Stargazer? I adore Blackmore's playing, but in terms of chordal progressions and harmonic content I'm not sure the comparison stands.

IMO the riff to Stargazer, and song construction, makes it feel more like In the Light, with Cozy Powell taking over JPJ's keyboard intro on drums. And I'd put In the Light as more interesting, with the major key sections giving it some of the modulation of classical composition. Blackmore had set aside most of his Mixolydian playing by then and concentrated on melodic and harmonic minors alongside occasional Phrygian and core Æolian. He stopped mixing up his notes as he edited and pared-down his playing style. In contrast Pagey was all over the place and all the better for it.

If we're talking about cultural impact however, Kashmir has bled into the mainstream a lot more than Stargazer. If we are limiting the selection to, er, interested groups looking for debate, focusing on guitarists who post to TGP, well... far be it from me to spoil another's party.

But I will say that if you were to ask the same question to a group of funk/soul or jazz players, likely they'll say "Stargazer, what's that? Who's that by?" Whereas Kashmir is a given across cultures.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Tone_Terrific likes this.
  4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I picked Stargazer because I knew everyone else would pick Kashmir.

5. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

For me:

Blackmore > Page
    Dio > Plant

YMMV

art_z and The Interceptor like this.
  6. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Stargazer by a mile for me. As much as I love Zeppelin Rainbow was firing on all cylinders on Stargazer.

Kashmir is great but this morning I'm preferring No Quarter. This could change at any second though. The Rover, Sick Again... So many to choose from.

7. Wicked_Tone

Wicked_Tone Member

Stargazer! I was burnt out on Kashmir quite a while ago, as radio continues to over play the same handful of Zep hits. Rainbow on the other hand doesn't get enough radio exposure. Ritchie Blackmore was one of my influences on guitar and Dio's vocal prowess never really faded with age like Plants voice.

art_z likes this.
  8. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

all day every day.
    I’d love to see what RJD/Blackmore could have done had Blackmore kept that lineup going longer. So much talent in the Rising lineup. Sure some great pop rock hits later with Graham Bonnet and JLT, but this Rainbow is THE Rainbow IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Cossack, GenoVox and tribalfusion like this.