Poll: Strings..................

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mooncusser, May 16, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I thought it would be a kinda cool idea to get some feedback on how often you change your strings and why.
    Anything goes.
    It will be interesting.
    I should go first I guess.
    DR *Pure Blues 9-11 Nickel round core.
    There is this certain point where then my strings seem to loose thier definition in oscillation and most of all, touch sensitivity and articulation. Once I notice it, I usually put up with it, and then change them because it starts bugging me. (every month or so.)
    Remeber though... I do not gig, so my usage is way far less than a working musician.
    Take care,
    Mass

2. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Acoustic sets (J17 D'Addario phosphor bronze) every two gigs at most, usually every gig. Why? I have a Richard Thompsonish style of playing bass & strumming/fingerpicking that wears the wound strings to the point of exhaustion -- they never even get the chance to break...they just go dead.

Electric sets - - D'Addario 10's & 11's - - every 2-3 gigs. I alternate between at least two electrics at gigs, so the strings get a little less play time.

Rick 12 - I use Rickenbacker 12 string sets, and only change these when they start to break -- every 3-4 months or so.

3. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

If I notice my strings getting grungy and rusty or black or notched on the underside I'll change 'em... no sooner.

4. LTE

LTE Member

Back when I was a music major in college, I played nothing but classical guitar. I used D'Addario EJ44 (Extra Hard Tension) and to this day, I still use them. Great string.

I would change them about every 5 days. The one time I had to buy a Normal Tension and Hard Tension, I killed the Hard Tension in 2 or 3 days. The Normal didn't last a day.

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'm always long overdue to change my strings. Which I'm not proud of.

I do keep them clean, so they don't rust on me, but I just don't enjoy taking the time to change them.

Pete

6. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

When they break. With my Floyd guitars, I really wait. They break, I unwind at the tuning peg, and re-clamp. I hate bright strings.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

D'Addario 10's for all my electrics...I really like them. All the guitars get restrung every 2-3 shows.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

When I was a kid I believe they were Fender 10's. Then Ernie Ball came out with Slinky's. I used the 9 set for a few years and switched to Boomer 9's. That lasted over 20 years and I went to Boomer 10's.

A few years ago I changed to Kerly Strings, using their Kerly Q 10 set. Sean treats them so they last at least as long as a coated string but there's no coating to kill tone.

Oh, I don't change them unless I have to and the Kerly's make that a lot less often.

9. Luke V

Luke V Member

I use 9-42 Slinkys. I change them after 2 gigs.

At home I change them after probably 12 hours of playing.

I hate dead strings. If they begin to oscilate or don't ring, theyre gone.

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

Two to three gigs usually. Whenever the crackling with life "ring" in the lower strings turns into more of a "thud".

11. sosomething

sosomething Member

+1

I used to be obsessed with having fresh strings on my guitars. It got to the point where I was changing the strings on my main guitar about once a week - granted I played for probably three hours a day, but that's still a bit excessive.

I don't really mind the tone of old strings, but when they start to corrode, they're gone.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I change my strings at least once a year whether they need it or not.

13. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

:jo

Once a month or so, it depends on how dirty they are.
    I always use Daddarios. XL i think they┬┤re called. Size...it depends, i vary from 9-46 to 11-52, no reason i can explain :NUTS

14. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

D'Addario

10-46 guitar

50-105 bass (except the T-Bird 45-100).

15. Don L

Don L Member

EB Regular Slinkys. Change them when they break.

16. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Daddario's
    9's on electric, Custom light on acoustic
    I change them when they begin to sound dead.

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

Electrics - D'Ads 11's. Swap once a month usually.

Acoustic - The jury's still out on this one. Whatever I get they are mediums and are on there for a while because I hardly ever play acoustic.

18. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I was using Slinky's: 10-46 and changing after a weekend's worth of gigs...Whether one night or two, they had to be changed before the following weekend's gig(s).

I switched to Gibson LP strings, also 10-46, about nine months ago and seem to get three times the life out of 'em. I've been very impressed with them.

19. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Some of 'em get Ernie Hybrid Slinky's - .009 - .046
    Some get .095's (D'Addario)
    Some get GHS 10's
    Some get Snake Oil Brand 10's, Hybrids, or 9.5's

Also, I've used Gibson strings, Fender 5150's, and others too ....

Or whatever happened to be on sale (GRIN)

Oh, I change strings for every gig on the primary guitar(s). I'll go 2 gigs on the second/backup guitar. I too always wipe the strings with a lint-free rag ... or a bar towell if I forget to bring one. (GRIN) I can often get away with playing two Country or Jazz gigs on a set of strings, if it's a real quiet gig. If it's blues, rock, funk or reggae - fugetaboudit, I change 'em every gig!

Dana O.

20. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

I use Ernie Ball Slinkys (.10-.46). I usually change them whenever they start to corrode which is pretty fast with me. I have hyperhydrosis which means my hands sweat all the time, especially when doing anything that requires fine motor skills like guitar playing or playing video games. My sweat is very corrosive to nickel as well. I have to change them after about 12-15 hours of play time if I forget to wipe down the strings after playing. If I wipe them down I can get a bit more use out of them.