POLL: Tone vs. Feel - Which is more important to you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamester, Mar 31, 2020.

Great tone or great feel?

1. Only tone matters, get used to it!

17.3%
  2. What does tone matter if you don't enjoy playing it?

70.5%
  3. If made to choose, I will just quit playing guitar..

12.2%
  1. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Two guitars:

One has amazing tone but is maybe too heavy and not as ergonomic or comfortable.

Second guitar is nice and comfy, fits you like a glove BUT the overall tone is lacking comparatively.

There can be only one....which one?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Has to be both. I had a Bacchus SG that sounded amazing, but didn’t play as well as my other guitars. Had to fight it too much, so I sold it on. Same went for a parts Tele I owned several years back. Super loud, punchy and raucous, but it was the most difficult guitar I’ve ever played.

I do regret selling both of those guitars...so I guess tone is more important to me...

U.S. Blues, earthmud and jamester like this.
  3. Mtt02263

Mtt02263 Supporting Member

It's really case by case for me. I won't play a guitar that plays horrible no matter how good it sounds. Still, if playability is fairly close, I usually choose the better sounding guitar. Hard to give a black and white answer.

ProfRhino, BADHAK and jamester like this.
  4. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I can play anything and neither one really matters that much. It has to have the ALL thing , it feels good,sounds good AND plays good. I will fix any of those issues eventually if I end up with a guitar. So I would say the actual answer is both.

jamester likes this.
  5. jamester

That is of course the real world answer, for all of us I think. But hypothetically what if you HAD to choose..?

To clarify, the tone of the lacking guitar isn't garbage, just "ok" compared to the "great" tone of the uncomfortable guitar.

BADHAK likes this.
  6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Can't happen as any guitar I buy has to meet these standards. Not to say any one else will agree my guitars sound the best , I just need to like it, but play well and sound to me is a breaking point.

jamester likes this.
  7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Timbre matters to me. And feel.

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

If it feel right that's 1/2 the battle as they say. First the feel and then the tone as pickups/caps/pots etc... can change the tone.

jamester likes this.
  9. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Just experienced this with a Framus Mayfield. I wanted it so badly because it sounded amazing, but it felt weird and it slid off my leg when sitting down. I had to pass. Too many guitars out there today to choose from to settle

jamester and derekd like this.
  10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

If a guitar played great but only had one poor sounding pickup with flubby bottom, scritchy top and weak sustain I'll take the other one.
    If the guitar is super sounding but has worn frets and such a poor action that I cannot execute the musical passages I need to, I'll take the other one.
    ;)

jamester likes this.
  11. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

Exactly this.

12. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I went with feel on the poll and I can change pickups,pots and caps for the sound improvements. I do a lot of work on guitars to force them to do what I require most everything off the shelf I don't like something about them.

jamester likes this.
  13. Smashed Fingers

Smashed Fingers Member

If the guitar is totally setup and plays the way you like the tone will come through... The whole "tone is in your fingers" sentiment.

jamester likes this.
  14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, if it isn't comfortable to play it doesn't matter what it sounds like to me.

Comfort first. There are very few actual dogs out there. You can make just about any well built guitar sound good with the right pickups/strings/amp.

jamester likes this.
  15. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

Both are very important. But it's harder to change to feel of a guitar (ex: if you didn't like the neck on a set neck guitar). Tone is easier to change than feel--just take a look at the number of pickup and tone control discussions vs changing the "feel".

BADHAK and jamester like this.
  16. Artjr

Artjr Supporting Member

Feel, tone is why pickups and amps where made.

jamester likes this.
  17. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Hard choice, but it would have to be feel and the grounds that I can do (and have done many times) some pickup swapping if I don't like the sound. I'm strong on looks, and I've become a bit obsessive about (light) weight the past few years.

jamester likes this.
  18. jamester

Of course, but this is a "hypothetical situation" not a "real world scenario" ;)
    This is kind of where I'm at, comfort and playability is edging out tone for me these days.

I've got two guitars I love, one on each side of this debate, and I find myself perpetually going back and forth between them. But I feel like I always come back to the more comfortable one, even though its tone isn't quite as good as the other. Been thinking about it, and figured I'd start this thread...

derekd and paintguy like this.
  19. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

Tone is more important, but I've found with the right settings most guitars can sound good.

jamester likes this.
  20. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Agree with others that said it has to be both. My wallet isn’t coming out to pay for a guitar that only does one of the two.

jamester likes this.