Poll: Total Worth of Your Gear

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by moehuh, Feb 6, 2020.

Total worth of your gear (see guidelines below)

1. < $2'000

26 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. $2'000 - $5'000

91 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. $5'000 - $10'000

152 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. $10'000 - $20'000

220 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. $20'000 - $35'000

162 vote(s)
    19.2%
  6. $35'000 - $60'000

94 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. $60'000 - $100'000

49 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. $100'000 - $200'000

36 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. $200'000 <

14 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. namenotalreadybeingused

namenotalreadybeingused Member

Whole heatedly agree. Luthier skills are very important in this topic. Everything needs a setup. A simple neck relied adjustment and new lowered bone saddle can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

one4five likes this.
  2. namenotalreadybeingused

Tell me about it. I bought an amp after selling an amp I got in trade for a guitar I got for half price.
    When I said I paid $1050 for the guitar I traded for the $2600 amp I sold for $1600, and asked her how much did I pay?
    She looked at me with the F-Y look...

3. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

I barely cracked 10k. In the last few years I sold a lot of gear and I replaced it with many guitars/pedals/amps/cabs that I built myself. They take up a lot of place and I enjoy them all immensely but they're not worth much...

4. namenotalreadybeingused

Had a colleague of mine that had to buy an F-250 with the V-10. Then I rolled in with my GMC C5500. He told me that whenever his wife told him he was out of control, he could always point to me and proclaim things could be much worse...

SackvilleDan likes this.
  5. namenotalreadybeingused

And next year's bonus is called "Fender"?

6. namenotalreadybeingused

I think that top left one is about $14K by itself. Sure hope you invested in climate control. ;)

7. stratguy23

stratguy23 Supporting Member

Doing some rough calculations I have over $15k tied up in just guitars... I have 10 of them, I may have a problem... My three vintage guitars are a big chunk of that amount.

I have under $5k in amps. I have my main tube amps I use depending on mood and volume level allowed then I have 2 solid state amps from when I was a kid that I don’t know why I still have I literally haven’t used them in over 10 years. 6 amps total with one cab.

My pedal collection has shrunk a bit over the last few years though it’s still bigger than most non-TGP peoples. Totaling it up would be tough because I’ve been buying pedals for decades, some stuff has also appreciated a lot since I bought it or I got really good deals. I’m probably close to $10k

I think with pedalboards, cables, power supplies, parts, etc. included, I’m just over $30k. This has been amassed over many years, but it’s still crazy to really sit down and add it all up.

8. namenotalreadybeingused

That one cracked me up. I always tell her what I paid for every box that comes in the door. But if I say something like, "You know my Gibson Custom Shop ES-359", and I get the blank look, "you know the hollow body with the violin sunburst", head tilts, "the one I traded for that Custom Shop Taylor", eyes glassed, "you know, the one that had that rose inlay on the headstock", walking away, "nevermind".

9. Bassopotamus

Bassopotamus Member

Guitars/ Basses/amps probably 15-20k

10. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

After a quick tally I probably have over $35k in gear but it's not because of owning expensive gear (my most expensive guitar is probably worth $700), it's because I have a lot of it. Between years of gigging, being the PA owner, being in multiple bands requiring different sounds, and having a home studio setup for recording and band rehearsal, that's a hell of a lot of stuff accumulated through the years, even if none of it is high end and mostly middle of the road value-wise.

Cb likes this.
  11. namenotalreadybeingused

Sorry for so many posts, but this has been a very entertaining thread, and a great way to spend a morning I have earned off. Too early in the morning to crank it up, but I will later.
    Last one.
    Due to my GAS disease, I found it useful to build a custom closet that is my regulator. It is about 30" wide with upper and lower shelfs and an 8' tall door. If it doesn't fit in the closet, something has to go. I have three guitars on CL now because two cases are on the floor. It has also allowed me to gravitate towards high-end stuff that are treasures, like the Astoria and PRS Brazilian in the thumbnail. Sold off five amps to "pay for it", and I have a tone I cannot improve upon. Since tonal bliss achieved, I have stopped looking (ahem, mostly) for other amps and I regained a lot of floor space. I am simplifying. I also realize that having expensive stuff does not make me a better player, as I am sure there are those here that could blow me away with their $100 Squire and $100 Peavey. The gear I have though, I bought for myself, justifying it because I have worked so hard all my life. In the end, it is really just "stuff", but it happens to be stuff I love and enjoy. And that is what matters in this short life. The wife will be well taken care of. I estimate my GAS to be on the order of 2%/year. So why not?

12. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I had only one motorcycle for the last 25 years and the only reason I replaced it was it was totaled in a wreck. Hardly what I would consider “motorcycle GAS.”;)

13. StratmanSteve

StratmanSteve Member

A while back, there was a similar thread that dealt only with pedals and I was astounded by how much I had spent. It was about $3K then, but closer to $4K now. I consider myself a hobbyist so most of my gear is modest and much of it was bought used. Currently I have:
    • 12 Guitars, all electric, mostly Fender, Epi and Gibson
    • 2 Squier Basses - P-Bass, Bass VI
    • 4 Fender amps
    • 45 FX pedals
    • 2 Keyboards
    • Recent home studio upgrade: new interface, new mic and stand, new monitors and stands, new cables
    Then I started thinking about software (DAWs, plug-ins, loops), cases, books, picks, strings, straps, pedalboard and case, pedal power units, mics, cables and connectors, etc. It all adds up. After all, it's just a hobby, right? When I saw the question, I figured I might be in the $5K-$10K range, but I'm easily near the high end of the $10K-$20K range.

I am shocked and awed! :eek: Thanks for ruining my day. :mad:

14. misterg71

misterg71 Hack Silver Supporting Member

The worth of my gear, +$5000

The worth of my ability to utilize said gear.
    -$5000

15. Zentrails

Zentrails Member

Nope I report everything I sell on ebay which isn't much anyway.
    Burglars would not like my 3 very large dogs.

16. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

I knew I was in the deeper end of the pool but thought I had more company :D:p:cool:

17. Miketheslav

Miketheslav Silver Supporting Member

Whatcha got??

18. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

It should be > $200,000.

You've said less than with <.

We're all less than $200,00!

19. THT

THT Member

I've been writing, recording, and in bands for a long time and I once had 4 places where I had rigs set up, so duplication of equipment resulted. Much of my gear was bought used. With those qualifications stated, I have:
    35 guitars costing me approx $15k, an average of $430 each.
    They are a mix of brands: Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, BC Rich, Dean, Jackson, Buddy Blaze, Steinberger, Breedlove
    12 amps costing me approx $5k, an average of $400 each. Vetta, Fender, Roland
    8 Line 6 Pods costing me approx $1k, an average of $125 each
    17 cabinets costing me approx $2300, an average of $140 each. Jet City, Marshall, Ibanez, Line 6
    29 pedals costing me approx $2100, an average of $73 each. Snarling Dog, Boss, Maxon, DigiTech, Visual Sound, Electro Harmonix
    What can I say, I'm in for about $30k and I'm having a blast! And when I start selling off, I should get most of my $$ back.

20. ertschemi

ertschemi Member

These are Canadian Hoser Dollars, but I am $8,000 into electrics, acoustics, amps and effects, and figure it would cost me around $16,000 to replace it all if it disappeared. This gives me a good guide for when I'm buying used: only 50%-60% max of new value. I also don't expect any more that that when I sell.