Poll: Total Worth of Your Gear

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by moehuh, Feb 6, 2020.

Total worth of your gear (see guidelines below)

1. < $2'000

26 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. $2'000 - $5'000

89 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. $5'000 - $10'000

147 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. $10'000 - $20'000

210 vote(s)
    25.8%
  5. $20'000 - $35'000

155 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. $35'000 - $60'000

93 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. $60'000 - $100'000

47 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. $100'000 - $200'000

35 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. $200'000 <

13 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. ertschemi

ertschemi Member

These are Canadian Hoser Dollars, but I am $8,000 into electrics, acoustics, amps and effects, and figure it would cost me around $16,000 to replace it all if it disappeared. This gives me a good guide for when I'm buying used: only 50%-60% max of new value. I also don't expect any more that that when I sell.

2. Emigre

Emigre Member

Two Martins, two strats, a not expensive concert classical (cost less than a Martin) and a coupke inexpensive guitars for a total of 9.

A Rectoverb, TA-15 and a Princeton. And an AX8. Zoom R8, L-12 and HS5's for practice and recording.

3 small synths (Minibrute, SE-02, Minilogue) and a sax.

Other than my guitar teachers I don't know anyone who has more than a couple guitars and an amp.

3. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

23 Guitars which in my case equals about 20k.

70 odd pedals are worth about 10k.

7 amps replacement cost would be 10k.

PA and recording gear are easily 10k.

4. arctic

arctic Member

I quit keeping track along time ago. My New Years resolution this year was to slow down. So far nothing but strings...

Unfortunately I haven’t noticed an accumulation of copious amounts of money yet though?? lol

CanuckChris likes this.
  5. fusioninspace

fusioninspace Member

It would be interesting to see total worth broken out by age groups and/or net worth of everyone. Or by people who play professionally/semi-professionally (e.g. bar bands, worship teams, etc.).

6. jojobean39

jojobean39 Member

You didn’t ask this directly of me, but I’ll give you my answer, as I’ve owned a lot of stuff over the years.

I’m relatively young (36) to have the collection I do. I’ve been really fortunate to come along some amazing deals over the years, I’ve got a really understanding wife who participates in music with me and no kids. All those sort of help fuel this addiction.

I find that once you get into higher end gear, for the most part, it’s all good. I find this to be more true of basses and acoustics than electrics. For instance, to my hands, ears and eyes, there is very little difference between a $3k electric or a $6k electric. I do not find that to be true with acoustic guitars or basses. Up to about $8-10k, you’re still getting return on your money aside from cosmetics. So, there are certain brands that I just know are going to provide an “experience”. I’ve bought almost all of my high end basses without having played them beforehand. In fact, I don’t own a single bass I played before I purchased it and I own 7 basses). I bought a couple of acoustics that way, too.

So, for me... right now I’m not really buying anything that I plan on getting rid of. There may be one or two things I have in my stable that I’ll upgrade to the same thing (just maybe a nicer wood), at some point. But all of the stuff I have right now is a keeper.

I haven’t gotten anything in the last 7-10 years with which I’ve been disappointed. I’ve just stuck to buying gear that has a good reputation. Something from a brand I’ve played and liked or something that has caught my curiosity.

Anything I’ve kept has given me a sound I’m looking for. It’s something that inspires me to make music. I am just a church musician. But I love the enjoyment of playing something new.

moehuh likes this.
  7. jojobean39

jojobean39 Member

I live in Florida. No shortage of humidity. :)

McPhersons are quite expensive. And they just keep going up in price. It’s insane how their prices move. Quality stuff, for sure.

8. jojobean39

jojobean39 Member

I agree with this. I do think that would be cool.

I fell in the $100k+ category. I am a band leader at a church. I do get paid, but it is very part time work. I make very little from music. I think the most I’ve made in a year from music is $10k or so. It’s usually about half that or somewhere in between.

I’m 36.

9. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

We'd be very happy to have you. o_O

10. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

It's a cover for Maths Club.

Damn. Broke rule #1.

moehuh likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Member

It's significant enough to have it insured for full replacement value.

Come to think of it it's probably worth more than I am. :( ;)

12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Stop right there. Eight PODs?!

13. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

Under 2k. But not really.

14. JBacklund

JBacklund Member

I put a number on my stuff (20K) but it's hypothetical, and depends on ethereal things such as: are the three hand-built prototypes I have, of three production guitar models worth even as much as the Korean guitar that came from it?

They are not good players, and are essentially pretty wall-hangars, but served their purpose, and are the only ones like them in the world....for what that's worth.

I'd need some pretty serious collectors of oddball guitars to get my estimated value to the 'value amount' I selected.

'iffy', at best.

15. Xkcdfan

Xkcdfan Member

Went through a big purge. My setup consists of a 07 Am. Strat i bought new in middle school, a 05 Les paul standard faded i bought the day i graduated from uni, a 20w Egnater Rebel with a marshall 2x12 which are currently for sale, and a modest pedalboard. All in all i don't think i have more than 3k€ total tied up in gear at the moment.

I am looking for a killer tele though, and that could easily push me up a bracket. :)

16. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

A good figure of merit and indicator is the cost to maintain , secure, and store your gear...

17. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Silver Supporting Member

35 to 60 grand here, probably on the higher end of that you count 'replacement' cost. shoot, just my 3 collings, 2 PRS's, 2 martins, 2 fender custom shops and my vintage strat and my Bedell acoustic: lets see... calculating: $35,300. add 4 USA fenders, a G&L bass, an acoustic and a stage piano, an acoustic and electronic drum kit, a handful of high end amps (mostly Mesas), a PA we're over 50 grand easy..

18. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Mine's around the $40K mark. I've scaled back the numbers (16 guitars, down from 37) but picked up some high-end acoustics along the way and have a handful of top-shelf electrics. They all get played. I'm careful with them but they're not in cotton wool.

19. moehuh

moehuh Member

I've written "$200 000 <" which is the same as "> $200 000", just noted in the other direction ;)

Exiled_On_Main_St likes this.
  20. Chubbles

Chubbles Member

Most of the money I spent is on the plethora of pedals I own. I usually buy used.