Poll: What's more versatile -- a Tele or a Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phoenix 7, Mar 30, 2008.

More versatile -- Strat or Tele?

1. Strat

2. Tele

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I own, love and gig with both (along with my Les Paul). Which do you think is more versatile -- Tele or Strat -- and WHY?

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Tough choice, really, because you can equip teles with strat-style electronics. But stock for stock I'll go with the strat on the basis of the extra pickup, vibrato, extra tone control etc....really, though, I think it has more to do with players than the actual guitars. I mean, I can get maybe three sounds from a les paul but listen to what jimmy page can do.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

I chose the Strat because of the trem and the quack, and someday, I'll manage to do a Jerry Donahue mod and put a plate under a guard to try to get some Tele twang, too. I actually can't imagine not having both, since they are both very useful in a wide variety of situations.

4. Maxer

Maxer Member

Yeah, it's pretty much up to the player - I'm also thinking Jeff Beck, who can take most any electric guitar and squeeze out a host of different sounds from it, ones you never imagined possible. Pile on top of that all the different amp voicings/combos you can possibly afford and the choice gets even muddier.

I answered 'Strat' but you know, it's really up for grabs. I love the sounds of both guitars. In the end it's in the hands.

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

I answered Tele. They're both versatile, but the tele has a wider range of sounds to my ear. Maybe because the tele has two different pickups and the strat has three of the same. I find the tele can go from deep jazzy tones to twangy country to screaming overdrive to liquid fusion to P90ish tones by working the two pickups and the tone control.

6. David Collins

David Collins Member

The Tele is much more versatile in terms of getting Tele sounds, while Strats have a much broader palette of Strat tones than a Tele. Kind of like Apples are much more versatile in terms of baking cakes and breads, while oranges may offer more with juices as well as for seasoning and glazes. :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one... ;)

7. Maxer

Maxer Member

Probably the best answer yet! No one wins in these kinds of deliberations... there's no "correct" answer. Thankfully, too!

8. rongtr

rongtr Member

I voted for the Strat, and use a strat for jazz, but you make a good point. I think one of the reasons you see more teles in jazz is that you don't have to block off a trem, and it makes more sense to put a humbucker in the front slot of a tele, since that pickup is generally the weakest part of the telecaster.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

A Strat has more sounds, a Tele has better sounds.

Choose your poison.

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Tele without question.
    The Tele tone fits wonderfully in all genres of music.
    From jazz to metal.
    A Tele does it all.

11. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

IF I had to choose...Strat for near total versatility. But a Tele can do things no other guitar can do.

12. Topas

Topas Member

A strat, for sure. I can imagine strat doing both country and metal, while I have quite some difficuleties imagining tele there.

13. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I have found the strat with the right pickups to cover an enormous range of great tone. So as not to sidetrack this thread, I'm going to start another one on what is the magic of the Tele, because I haven't figured that out.

14. playon

playon Supporting Member

+ 1 :AOK

15. 5E3

5E3 Member

Difficult to choose, I own/enjoy them both. Of the two I own, I'd vote Strat because it has the Tremolo. But I'd hate to give up my Tele!

16. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Tele by far. A Tele can do anything. A Strat always sounds like.....a Strat. :D

17. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Can I say "John 5" ???

18. 205

205 Senior Member

As an user of both Strats and Teles.
    I'd have to say Telecaster is the most versatile out of the two, you really can play most genres with it. The Strat is slightly limited in what it can do.
    Having said that, I love them both.