Poll: Which is your current favorite: Atomic, Boss, Fractal, Headrush, Helix, Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitardave, Jun 20, 2019.

What's your current favorite digital modeling unit:

1. Atomic

2. Boss

3. Fractal

4. Headrush

5. Helix

6. Kemper

7. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

There's room enough in my heart for one of each of the top 3. Kemper is awesome because its awesome. HX Stomp is killer for factor + battery powerable. Can't wait to take an FM3 for a ride at some point. Headrush...they're stuff is just too big. I've got room in my heart, but not on my floor. Atomic...meh. Forces me to have to think way too hard to make it work the way I want a rig to work, and missing key amp selections. Boss -- love the form factor of the GT-1000. Indeed, if that's what a Helix LT was like, I'd find it awfully tempting. Just haven't used Boss multi stuff in so long I have little interest in remembering how to work and live in that environment for now.

yeky83 likes this.
  2. wcfields

wcfields Member

I've tried/owned all except for the Atomic.

For me easily Fractal, then the Kemper.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  3. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I own the Atomic (AA3) and the HX Stomp.

Atomic for amp modeling, HX Stomp for effects and UI. I voted the Atomic because the amp modeling is the most important factor for me.

filipepferreira and dmock66 like this.
  4. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten completely away from amp modeling but I do use modeling for effects and am absolutely thrilled with the Boss RV500 (delay and reverb) and MD500. Along with the ES8 and a few analog overdrives/fuzz, and a compressor, I can do just about any tone I can imagine.

Having lots of amp models, from my perspective, is a complete waste of time. Between my Bogner Helios 50 and Mesa TA30 and the setup described above, I can get just about any tone quickly.

I do also have a Boss SY300 which is aa far more useful "modeling" do it all box for me because it's got tones in there and incredible tracking that just isn't possible even with the most expensive modelers.

5. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

For me Fractal is the keeper. Very impressed how open and clear it sounds. It sounds more like an amp to me. I also feel I can trust the company to do what’s right to deliver great sound.

I’ve tried Helix and headrush.

I want to try a Kemper an see if it can model my all time favorite tone.

ak301 likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

"Current". "Favorite".

Had them all multiple times other than the HR. No interest in the battleship.

Kemper is my historical favorite tonally.

Helix most fun to work with, in general. Legacy synths are great.

Atomic best bang for the tonal buck and holds its own and then some on feel and sound. Gives up that same amount in flexibility and interface quality so is no longer a viable option for anything requiring any sort of versatility.

Fractal sounds amazing and super flexible; but I don't ever heed it's call for long, no matter how absolutely awesome it feels and sounds.

Been playing the GT for a bit. In my time frame definitions, at least :crazyguy

Sounds and feels awesome. Great effects and, while being a little clunky at first; becomes easy to navigate and create great working amp tones and setup excellent gig ready switching workflow.

Gets some flack for the price. Compared to the other offerings at its retail price point; I cautiously agree, especially in terms of onboard amp quantity. But the limited amp selection is right up my alley and sounds excellent on it's own merit. I'd be all for more X series amp additions as they sound great.

Other negative for me is the lack of synth stuff. Not a dealbreaker but I still hope for some SY goodness to be added.

Super happy with my direct tone as well as 4cm use. Form factor is perfect.

dmock66, Fireproof, mbenigni and 3 others like this.
  7. scott58

scott58 Member

When I buy it's going to be Helix. I like Line 6.

8. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Because it's unnecessary.

Things like what? The fan? Seriously?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    yeky83 likes this.
  9. flatnine

flatnine Member

Fractal stuff is amazing- using Axe 3 for Rush/Prince tribute gigs. Irony is that I use an AA12 for my money gigs as I bring pedal and guitar and that's it.

$5k worth of stuff for $200 gigs, $600 rig to make $500+...

ak301, mikah912, otter5555 and 2 others like this.
  10. bsd512

bsd512 Silver Supporting Member

Helix.

I've owned Kemper also for a significant amount of time. Kemper is pretty great. Helix works better for me, though. In fact, I own two Helixes. Does that mean I get to vote for it twice?

zematynnad and mbenigni like this.
  11. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

I respectively disagree, I think it’s quite debatable. I’d argue it’d be much better to have a quality heatsink with a RPM variable fan regulate by actual thermal conditions, something all computers do for ages. Then instead of running at maximum speed all the time, the fan will be quieter, last longer and perhaps won’t need to turn on in many well AC-ed studios.

I understand that those may be non issues for many, but for me, those seem design choices not well thought out, again just my own opinion...

12. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The fan is temperature controlled. Under normal conditions it is not on. If the ambient temperature is high (i.e. outside on a hot day in direct sun) the internal temperature may rise above the limit of the power supply. In this case the fan turns on until the internal temperature drops.

The processor does not require a heat sink and adding one wouldn't help. The issue is the internal chassis temperature. The chassis itself can only dissipate so much heat due to its small surface area.

13. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

Thank you Cliff, appreciate your clarification. I believe what you described above is about FM3,right? What I mentioned above about fan running constantly at maximum speed is about AXE III. Maybe AXE III MK II would have a similar thermal regulated fan soon? :)

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Axe-Fx III's built after April 2019 (or so) have a temperature controlled fan as well.

15. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

I didn’t know that, that’s awesome! Thank you Cliff for implementing that on the III, loving it :)

runningman likes this.
  16. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

Had to vote with the Helix with the caveat I have not given the others a fair shake.

odourboy and Guitardave like this.
  17. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I've only ever played Fractal but i am super happy with it.

ak301, dmock66 and Guitardave like this.
  18. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

And that is all that matters!!

19. randall d

randall d Member

Fractal (AxeII).
    Have owned or spent significant time with: Line 6 POD 2.0, PODXT, PODX3, POD HD500, Helix, Boss GT6, GT8, GT10, GT100, DigiTech RP1000, Headrush and Atomic Amplifire.

dmock66 likes this.
  20. Jarick

Jarick Member

Favorite interface/UX: Helix
    Favorite effects: Fractal
    Favorite amp sounds: Kemper

I don't know if I have a favorite. I currently have Kemper. I would like to try Axe III. But I also think I probably just won't love any of them.