• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

POLL: Which is your go to cabinet? 1x, 2x, 4x? Why?

Which is your go to cabinet?

• Total voters

Jimmy_Rage

I lucked out on a recent trade and got the 2x12 that was missing from my cab arsenal.

So now I have a:
1) Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 with an EVM12L speaker
2) Orange 2x12 with V30s
3) Emperor 4x12 with Governors and Tonkers in an X pattern

Each has its pluses and minuses of course.

The V30 sound is something I've been chasing and that EVM12L Thiele has its own thing going.

But in my case, I always find myself plugging into the 4x12 more often than not. It's got a certain sound to it. A lot of usable low end and less fizz, besides being very tight sounding. I think it's on account of the speakers in there, cab construction isn't too shabby either. Plus it works well at low volumes too.

What about you? Why?

Reactions: b80

gregc

212, for weight, size, big enough sound...... 412, if I can get away with it (help moving, space, big enough performance room). Still looking for that magic 112..... btw, I voted all, depends on the situation.

b80

I've employed a Marshall 1965A 4x10 for awhile. It's given me great results in all sorts of situations.

However, I'm about to step up to a 4x12. We bring the rock, I need my cab to do the same.

So, yeah. I like 4 speakers.

Jabby92

1x12 is what I use most. Great for recording/practice and mic'd up its usually suitable the majority of the time. A 4x12 all though is a nice full sound is usually just overkill or too big to haul around for me. I'd have to be playing a big venue to get the most out of it I think.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
All: Depends on the situation. And the amp being used. And the speakers I want to use. And because I like having different sounds, so multiple tracks do not step all over each other.

SAVEStheDAY

The 4x12 cab created much of the rock music that inspired us to pick up guitars. All things being equal, I'd rather have a 4x12. There are situations where it's not practical, but it's always my go-to if it's an option.

Vanyu

I’ve pretty much always used 4x12’s, more often times than not two of them... Call me crazy... It’s more for the image and “ooooo!” factor of having a full stack, I’m one of the only musicians in my area to use one, and I get frequent compliments on the rig. Just cuz you got ‘em doesn’t mean they gotta be cranked up. The band I play with the most frequently has the 70’s-esque big amp look on stage, so it’s a natural fit.

Buuuuuuuut, about a week ago I did convert one of my 1960a cabs to a 1961a 2x12, and I think I’m gonna convert more of them... Finally a 2x12 I like :)

Last edited:

kookaburra

I voted all. I've used all, but I tend to go smaller now, a couple of 1x12s. I play rock.

Ease of handling has played a part, and venue issues w/4x12 cabs has also been a factor.

I did enjoy the various 4x12s when I had them.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
1x12 or 1x15 at least. Sometimes 1x12 plus 1x12, sometimes 1x12 plus 1x15, sometimes two 1x12 stacked vertically alone or coupled with 1x12 or 1x15, or sometimes a vertical 2x12 coupled with 1x12 or 1x15. The poll doesn't apply to my reality.

Trending Topics