• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

POLL: Which is your go to cabinet? 1x, 2x, 4x? Why?

Which is your go to cabinet?

• Total voters

C-4

While I prefer 4x12's, in our playing situation, they are absolutely not allowed, due to volume and space restrictions.

I've used 2x12's, but as it stands, a 1x12 is the most practical. Also recently I have been putting my amp and cab in front of me, facing back towards me. While I don't prefer this, the band allows me to turn it up to my preferred volume level, so the trade-off is worth it.

Guitar Dave T

Two separate 2x12's that can be stacked for a big, outdoor stage; a couple 1x12's and three 1x12 combos.

It all depends...

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve got probably a dozen cabs of different shapes & sizes - they all have their uses depending on the situation. My favorites include a Bob Burt closed back 1x12 that mics up really well, a Tone Tubby open back 2x12 that I like to gig with, and a CoffeeCabs 4x12 that I keep in my home studio.

bluesoul

Depends on the amp I am using. I like to swap amps ...use something for a while and switch to another. Either a 1 x 12, 2 x 12 or a 1 x 12 (or 2 x 12) combo.
4 x 12....it's been a long time since it was used.

I have a lot of different cabs...each for the most part, based on matching up to a particular amp.

Silver Supporting Member
I like a vertical 2X12 for two reasons: the upper speaker is tilted at me which makes for a better monitor, and it's tall enough to put the head at a convenient height.
It's an amazing design. I love them too!

De Batz

2x12. If I wheel out the 4x12, the singer gets all shirty.

Then a debate starts about whether a 4x12 is louder than a 2x12.

Then I get distracted by physics when music was supposed to be happening.

Plus, two of my three 2x12s sound spot on and the one that doesn't is only down to low (50W) power handling and then me playing less well while I worry about it...

4x10 gets more use than any of the 12s cabs, though.

WineCaster

Silver Supporting Member
I built a 1960A clone and I can’t imagine not having it, especially at home. Super full sound at low volumes and obviously louder too.

Axe-Man

I finally have a 1x12 I’m actually happy with but the 4x12 is always the pick. I actually want to get another two with a mix of different speakers as I think cab/speakers make the amp. An average cab/speaker combo wreck or at least deprecate even the best amps.

GibsonGeek

VHT Fat Bottom 4x12 with P50E speakers. Got a good deal on it many years ago and it’s been my go-to cab ever since. Through countless gigs over the years, it never gave me a reason to stray.

Last edited:

dohmar

Wet/Dry/Wet with a 2x12 Vertical Avatar, a 1960A 4x12 and another 2x12 Vertical Avatar

I have a 1x12 for when I want portability.

-D

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Bogner cubes do me just fine. I had a vintage smallstack 4x12... and it was so good...but also SO HEAVY.
The cubes are great.

BADHAK

For hard rock I'd prefer a 4x12 but for general cover band situations like standing right next to your cab on a cramped stage, multiple genre's that require cleaner tones etc, then an open back 2x12 is a great option.

Bagels&Vox

I couldn't find a cab I liked so I'm actually currently building a 1x12/2x12 enclosure with two Jacks, one for a single speaker (a ruby) and one for two (haven't decided on those speakers yet though)

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
1x12. I (the guitar player) would love to go back to cranked 4x12s. I (the guy who has to mix most of the time) would also hate them. My cover band runs a low-volume stage that would be half as loud (all around) if the drummer had a plexi shield. Last year a friend played to thousands on a beach, and the sound out front was huge. Stage volume (with a session-level drummer) was about conversational volume.

And if I'm playing in a house system with a decent monitor mixer (and a good sound person), I'll sometimes turn that 1x12 toward a curtain instead of forward. I do have friends that can still crank 4x12s, but I'm not doing the gigs they are.

Trending Topics