• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

POLL: Which is your go to cabinet? 1x, 2x, 4x? Why?

Which is your go to cabinet?

• Total voters

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I have gigged with a 2x12 and it worked really well.

I've recently switched to a 1x12 due to the dramatic difference in weight between a 2x12 made of baltic birch and 1x12 pine cab with a neo speaker.

The 1x12 sounds great for the kind of music I play on gigs (Jazz, Funk, R&B) and is fine for Rock and Metal when I jam with my friends.

I love my Fryette Fatbottom 2x12 and it's not going anywhere but I'm pretty sure my days of gigging with it are over.

ToneGrail

1x12. I'm always running a direct signal to the FOH. Hence no need to fill the room. I place it in front of me and tilt it back at my face.

Lespaulsignature 74

Gold Supporting Member
I've mainly been using 1x12 cabs and low wattage heads due to the volume police at most of the venues I play at....however I do prefer the bigger sound of a 2x12 cab.

White Limo

I find this concept of the "image" of a 4x12 fascinating. I cannot think of one non-guitarist ever, ever, ever mentioning the guitar cabinets on stage or anything of that sort. I've had people ask me if you plug the guitar into the PA - they have no clue.

In fact, many huge bands I like and see live don't have any cabinets on stage. Never heard anyone say anything about it -- again, besides gear-obsessed guitarists.

rawkguitarist

Nothing sounds better to me than an *open back* 2x12. There's the openness/more stage filling nature. And the slight give when the amp is cranked. With a 50/60 watt amp I play a 10,000 seat stadium quite often. Sometimes without PA support. Its as big and as loud as I ever want.

That said, my main gig amp is a 1x12 Dr. Z combo. 1x12's sound great with combos. But even though I have a killer Forte 1x12 3D (semi closed) cab with a Scumback H75LD - its still brighter and more sizzily than my 2x12 which runs similar Scumbacks too. There is a high frequency smoothing when you put multiple speakers in a cab and that's the main reason I prefer 2x12's.

Scordare

Vertical, angled 2x12 here. I have the older Carvin ones and they are really nice. So much easier to carry by yourself, good for small stages, still have a good low end oomph. I also have two 1x12s that I occasionally use but they don’t sound quite as full as the 2x12.

3940bigdaddy

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the situation I've used all 3. I have a Bogner 1x12,2x12 and a 4x12. Each has its own pros and cons. At the very least I can put my Bogner Amp Heads on top when storing them.:):):)

Pierce103

I was rocking a Carvin 2x12 with WGS et-65. Then i came across a killer deal on a 90s Tonemaster 4x12 w/ UK g12m Greenbacks. Couldnt pass it up!
I also havent looked back on the 2x12.

leftcoastal

I've got a deluxe reverb ext cab I had made that's the size of a super reverb cab. I had a 2x12,1x15,and 4x10 baffle made for it.

All have their place but I like the low and mids of 2x12's.

Jimmy Dean

At 68, I'm done with big cabs. I own an open back 10", close back 10", open back 12" & a single 12" reflex bass cab. I just gave my son my 2 10" bass cab because it was too heavy. I am able to mix & match my cabs as needed with the singles.

rumstove

4x12 because that's all I have for cabs. Someday I'd like to get a 2x12 or 1x12, but I've been saying that for 15 years now.

easyed

Gold Supporting Member
I have all 3 configurations:
4x10 - Super Reverb
2x10 - Dr. Z MAZ jr
1x12 - Allen Sweet Spot.

They are all good; the listing goes in order - The sound of 4x10s in a Super Reverb is my favorite, but transporting it has become difficult as I approach 70. I plan to sell it soon, as I just haven't been able to play it much and we're planning to move to a house with no stairs.

The MAZ is excellent as well, but not quite the magnificence of the SR. It's not as tall as the SR, but nearly as heavy.

The Sweet Spot gets the most use because it's my grab-n-go, weighing only 28 pounds with a neo speaker. It sounds great, but multiple 10's suit my ears better

bigtone23

I have a 1x12" that's similar to a TL806 with a Delta Pro 12A, a '95 Marshall 1936 with G12T75s, and a '73 Orange 4x12" with Mesa MC90s and wired for stereo or mono operation. I find myself using 2x12" the most anymore: the 1936 to play out and run my DSL50 to 1/2 of the Orange and my Dual Rec to the other 1/2 at home.

Stites

Currently rolling a 2x12 former car stereo bass cab arou d the house on casters - got it for $50, don't judge. :p I figure a good 2x12 cab is middle of the road, a good starting point for gigging versatility. Too big a venue? Just mic the cab. Too small a place? Just turn everybody else up.

Anywho, it has the stock Sheffield 1230 speaker out of my Ultra 112 combo, along with a WGS ET90. Kinda jonesing for a late 70s/early 80s Peavey Mace 212 cab to put that ET90 in along with either a Celestion G12K100 or an Eminence Legend V12. Those cabs were basically a 4x12 without the bottom two speakers - I'm thinking if you cut a plywood panel to seal off the bottom, you'd have a killer oversized cab for downtuned material - plus, the sound would travel better since both speakers are up top.

Rampage

A 1x12 thiele has always been my favorite. Portable and big sound for its footprint. It definitely doesn't move the air that a 4x12 does, but I'm still plenty happy with my tone.

Better, add an open back 1x12 to the mix and get some space between the two.

tommyg

My rig is constant: Boogie MkIII 1x12 with an EV 12L and my Boogie 1x12 Thiele cabinet with a Emi Delta Pro 2. I'm in Heaven!

thawn5150

2 12 with WGS speakers,one is a greenback and other a V30. Reason I go with a 2 12 is easy to move and sounds great.I find 1 12 too boxy and while I like 4 12 they are just to big and heavy to move by oneself up and down stairs and in and out of venues. If I wasnt moving one around a 4 12 would be fine sitting in my practice area.

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I go by the gig, Unfortunately I still have 4x12's from back in the day and then I have some 2x12's and 1x12's. I use the same head and just bring the right size cab for the gig.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I love the 4x12. I have had some fantastic sounding ones over the years and I do miss them. I simply don’t have the space to keep them around. There is nothing quite like a 100W amp through a 4x12 cab.

Being older and with a back that is not the best (degenerating disks and occasional sciatica issues), I want to continue gigging with my band. I was running my BE-50 and Friedman 212. An outstanding setup and sounds fabulous. I have thus sold both of them this week though. I have had my JJ Jr. since June and have the matching cab on the way to me. I’ve had a 1x12 Friedman cab in the past that I borrowed and it sounds fabulous. Just have to make sure that I don’t crank the crap out of the Waza that it runs through and blow the speaker. I may get a second matching 1x12 in the near future. They are very easy to carry around and load in and out.

Trending Topics