Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 10, 2015.

Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

1. Gibson

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Lollar

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Throwback

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Seymour Duncan

55 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Fralin

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Wolftone

29 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. Other

115 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

In the hunt for a set of Custom Buckers I've started down the rabbit hole of PAF style pick ups being built out there.

Curious what some of the actual favorites are.

Thank you.

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

This is your man. Awesome guy to deal with and his prices and pups are KILLER! I have the 50's PAF Tribute set and they are bitchin. He will even give you a full refund if you dont love them.
    http://www.cmdaughertypickups.com/humbuckers.html

And dont get sucked into some $500+ BS! Those people are insane. No PAF's are worth that money.

EDIT: Just realized we are only about 90 minutes apart. If you wanted to take a drive you could come try my CMD pups out.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Sheptone alnico 2s are the best I've tried. I like Wolfetones a lot as well. Was underwhelmed by Lollars and though Fralins were good but nothing super special. Never been a big fan of Gibson Burstbuckers or Duncans.

shoepedals and Hector Arcadius like this.
  4. SirGilmour

Burstbuckers sound like crap.

Edit:In the Les Paul I owned. Im sure my opinion can change depending on the guitar.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  5. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I have a mixed relationship with them. There is a set of them in my ES-335 and I find it a little bright for my taste. I suppose I could swap the pots for 250k.

I also have a set in my SG, and I really like them in that guitar. It has 500k pots and is not too bright. Actually balanced very nicely and the guitar has a very familiar tone to it when I play classic rock riffs.

Maybe it's just luck of the draw. Maybe it's the nature of the guitar itself.

My Les Paul has Classic 57's and I don't find them particularly interesting. I would not say they suck. I would just say lacking in personality.

6. SirGilmour

I tried them in my old Les Paul and they were too bright and nasty sounding. Maybe it was the guitar.....

7. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Thought they sounded great in the Joe Perry Epiphone.

8. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I love the Bare Knuckle Black Dogs in my LP.

Bridge is huge sounding on chords, great string clarity, and very versatile on leads, can be cutting and stinging or sweet and crying. Responds very well to volume/tone knob changes. Emphasis on mids but lots of bottom end, for a PAF style pickup.

Neck pickup has incredible clarity and highs, I've never had so much highs and crispness-yet-fatness on an LP. A guitar tech at one of our gigs noticed it immediately, it's that remarkable.

The BK Black Dogs use a different type of wire than traditional PAFs that makes them a bit hotter. I love 'em.

They look nice, too.

[​IMG]

paulg likes this.
  9. charley

charley Supporting Member

Try checking out WCR pickups (www.crcoils.com). I purchased a set of Goodwoods for my Heritage 535 about 10 years ago. I just adore these pickups.

After a set of WCR pickups, a wiring kit from RS, and a Tonepros bridge/tail, I have found my ultimate Gibson style guitar. Granted, its not a LP but a 335.....but it continues to be the baseline by which I measure all other Gibson type tones. It sounds as good as a 59 335. As I understand it, WCR's bread and butter are LP/PAF pickups....

worth a look.

rh and travis bickle like this.
  10. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I've heard of these before on the Doug and Pat show on YouTube.

11. cbickford84

cbickford84 Member

I like the Custombuckers in my R7. I haven't had any desire to swap them, the guitar sounds great.

I also had an R8 with Sheptones. They sounded great, too, but the Gibson's were just as good.

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan can make pretty much any PAF pickup you can imagine in the custom shop and the prices aren't as high as some of the "boutique" brands. He's been doing it longer than some of the "flavor of the month" winders have been alive!

After trying several different sets of pickups in my '07 R9 over the years my search ended with a set of BFG humbuckers wound in the Duncan Custom Shop by MJ, the same pickups they make for Billy Gibbons. They sound like old PAFs that were on the hotter side of average.

0xeneye, beedeesmith and AceBSpankin like this.
  13. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There are several different BBs. I had an R7 with the 1 and 2 and wasn't impressed. I had a standard with Pros and wasn't impressed either. Have a 2 and 3 in a G&L Ascari, which is a PRS style and they sound excellent.

As to the OP, if you do a search for Les Paul pickups in the guitar forum, you'll find dozens of threads asking exactly the same question.

14. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humbuckers.......the original PAF repro.......have the sound, looks and smell.

Clyde Billt and VESmedic like this.
  15. thecornman

thecornman Member

No Dimarzio on the list?

Phletch, Troy T. Blues and fishlog like this.
  16. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

I have Ron Ellis LRP's in my R9 and they're just stupid good. They nail the tone of the best real PAF's I've played better than any others I've tried

rh likes this.
  17. teledude55

teledude55 Supporting Member

I love my Wolfetone Dr. Vintage and they are priced pretty fair, much cheaper than Lollar.

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner Vendor

19. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

It wasn't your guitar.

20. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

AceBSpankin, lamf and 71strat like this.