• Fralin

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Wolftone

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 117 38.0%

• Total voters

Ahsu7

New pickup day. These are nothing short of amazing...probably the best sounding repro PAFs. Dave was a true pleasure to deal with and extremely helpful.

OotMagroot

Supporting Member
Well, I dig the Duncan '59s and the Dimarzio 36ths. I had a set of Dimarzio PAF Classics in my Les Paul forever and everyone always commented on how great they sounded.

OotMagroot

Supporting Member
...AND, I also want to give a shout-out to BG Pups! http://bg-pups.com/

I've never owned a set, but every clip I've heard of these pickups have sounded great. He's reportedly a stand-up guy!

71strat

+1 on the Tom Holmes.

I bought 2 sets. 1 to put in a LP I was having built and an extra set for a future build. I also had Tom reverse the neck magnet.

My next choice would be Throbak. I also like Alnico 2 best.

JonSick

Without a doubt, the Seymour Duncan Slash set. I've been through a few now, these are still my faves.

jAcKoFsPeEd

I've got a Slash set in one of my '57 GoldTop VOS Les Pauls(the other straight Antiquities), but I put Antiquity Covers and pole screws on them for THE look.......a more modern take, with them being potted and hotter though still Alnico II. Between an Antiquity, '59 or Seth Lover you should be able to find your flavor of PAF tone. Original PAF's were pretty bright and people took them out and replaced them, just like today, though now their around 10K for an original set.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the ideas to check out. I definitely don't want too bright. I have a set of Burst Buckers in my 335 and find them a bit bright. But the BB's in my SG sound fantastic. And I actually like that they are a little "foggy" and spongy. Hard to put into words, but hopefully that paints a bit of a picture. Clear as a bell is not something I'm looking for. I like a little tension around the edges. Not in a "hot wind" kind of way. Just in a grimy kind of way. The Custom Buckers I tried seemed to have that.

Thus far the best demo I've heard online are WRC Crossroads and Custom Buckers, to my ear.

Has anyone heard of Electric City Pickups? I read a thread about him on MLP forum that a member here pointed me towards.

I voted Throwback (sic), but I meant Throbak!
Throbak PG-102 MXV in a Collings I-35 LC to be exact -- power, articulation, clarity, warmth, range...in a word; TONE!
You are correct! My bad. :)

Without a doubt, the Seymour Duncan Slash set. I've been through a few now, these are still my faves.
I've played these before through a Marshall 1974x and they sounded awesome. I don't however own that amp and not sure how they would sound through my Princetons. It would seem those PU's have been specifically designed to play nice with Marshalls.

Slideman

I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio 36th Pups...sound awesome clean and overdriven, excellent string articulation and they growl when you crank em up...and they clean up great when you back off the volume without ever sounding muddy. Have them in all my HB guitars.

fishlog

Supporting Member
Between an Antiquity, '59 or Seth Lover you should be able to find your flavor of PAF tone.
I was never into Seymour Duncan until I got a set of the SethLovers. My favorite for sure followed by Gibson's own 57' classics.

Dougee

Silver Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Wolftone Dr Vintage in my Old PRS Custom 24 is Outstanding!!!

xchemie

Supporting Member
The Burstbucker Pros in my LP sounded muddy and dark with the original electronics... swapped to 500K pots and they sounded muddy and bright. Swapped in a Dimarzio 36th set and it was much better - very vintage vibe but not quite what I was looking for, so...

I ended up with a Lollar low wind Imperial in the neck (very dynamic and open sounding) with a Lollar high wind f-spaced Imperial in the bridge (fat, thick, and articulate).

jAcKoFsPeEd

I wouldn't be that concerned with having a pickup that's bright.........you've got a tone control on your guitar and if you use pedals(this IS TPG), you have one or some AND some on the amp.......enough compensation to deal with pretty much anything.

la noise

And I actually like that they are a little "foggy" and spongy. Hard to put into words, but hopefully that paints a bit of a picture.
I don't always want spongy, but when I do the Sheptones
have been the spongiest of the lot. So fun to play when
I want that bounce in the attack and a really woody
character. And they are in the most reasonably priced
category when it comes to boutique, handwound PAFs. :aok

Geetarpicker

I have owned original PAFs since '78. That said, I recently put a set of OX4s in a Gibson historic Les Paul/SG standard and I'm quite pleased with them. I even tried the bridge OX4 in my '59 LP standard as a comparison "the real deal" and it was a just a little brighter than my original PAF, but it was very close in tone and response. The OX4s work quite well in my historic SG, and have a clarity to them the burst buckers just didn't have though the ohms values were not all that different.

Last edited:

travis bickle

Another vote for wcr pickups. I have the godwood/darkburst combination (along with 50's styled wiring and bumblebee capacitors) in a les paul studio and i couldnt be any happier.

Trending Topics