Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 10, 2015.

Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

1. Gibson

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Lollar

22 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Throwback

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Seymour Duncan

55 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Fralin

22 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. Wolftone

30 vote(s)
    9.9%
  7. Other

115 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. Ahsu7

Ahsu7 Member

New pickup day. These are nothing short of amazing...probably the best sounding repro PAFs. Dave was a true pleasure to deal with and extremely helpful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

enharmonic likes this.
  2. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

Well, I dig the Duncan '59s and the Dimarzio 36ths. I had a set of Dimarzio PAF Classics in my Les Paul forever and everyone always commented on how great they sounded.

Phletch and thecornman like this.
  3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

...AND, I also want to give a shout-out to BG Pups! http://bg-pups.com/

I've never owned a set, but every clip I've heard of these pickups have sounded great. He's reportedly a stand-up guy!

4. freddyfeebleman

freddyfeebleman Supporting Member

Porter Anthems, BG Pups.

Jack Fossett likes this.
  5. 71strat

71strat Member

+1 on the Tom Holmes.

I bought 2 sets. 1 to put in a LP I was having built and an extra set for a future build. I also had Tom reverse the neck magnet.

My next choice would be Throbak. I also like Alnico 2 best.

6. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

I like ReWinds the best. James sure knows what he doing. they destroy the Classic 57's that came stock in my Les Paul.

enharmonic likes this.
  7. JonSick

JonSick Member

Without a doubt, the Seymour Duncan Slash set. I've been through a few now, these are still my faves.

8. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I've got a Slash set in one of my '57 GoldTop VOS Les Pauls(the other straight Antiquities), but I put Antiquity Covers and pole screws on them for THE look.......a more modern take, with them being potted and hotter though still Alnico II. Between an Antiquity, '59 or Seth Lover you should be able to find your flavor of PAF tone. Original PAF's were pretty bright and people took them out and replaced them, just like today, though now their around 10K for an original set.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    4406cuda likes this.
  9. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Thank you guys for all the ideas to check out. I definitely don't want too bright. I have a set of Burst Buckers in my 335 and find them a bit bright. But the BB's in my SG sound fantastic. And I actually like that they are a little "foggy" and spongy. Hard to put into words, but hopefully that paints a bit of a picture. Clear as a bell is not something I'm looking for. I like a little tension around the edges. Not in a "hot wind" kind of way. Just in a grimy kind of way. The Custom Buckers I tried seemed to have that.

Thus far the best demo I've heard online are WRC Crossroads and Custom Buckers, to my ear.

Has anyone heard of Electric City Pickups? I read a thread about him on MLP forum that a member here pointed me towards.

la noise likes this.
  10. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

You are correct! My bad. :)

I've played these before through a Marshall 1974x and they sounded awesome. I don't however own that amp and not sure how they would sound through my Princetons. It would seem those PU's have been specifically designed to play nice with Marshalls.

11. Slideman

Slideman Member

I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio 36th Pups...sound awesome clean and overdriven, excellent string articulation and they growl when you crank em up...and they clean up great when you back off the volume without ever sounding muddy. Have them in all my HB guitars.

Phletch and thecornman like this.
  12. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

I was never into Seymour Duncan until I got a set of the SethLovers. My favorite for sure followed by Gibson's own 57' classics.

13. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

57 Classics. I quit looking once I put those in.

I might try a Seth in the neck one day though.

hvactech likes this.
  14. Dougee

Dougee Silver Supporting Member

Wolftone Dr Vintage in my Old PRS Custom 24 is Outstanding!!!

15. xchemie

xchemie Member

The Burstbucker Pros in my LP sounded muddy and dark with the original electronics... swapped to 500K pots and they sounded muddy and bright. Swapped in a Dimarzio 36th set and it was much better - very vintage vibe but not quite what I was looking for, so...

I ended up with a Lollar low wind Imperial in the neck (very dynamic and open sounding) with a Lollar high wind f-spaced Imperial in the bridge (fat, thick, and articulate).

16. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I wouldn't be that concerned with having a pickup that's bright.........you've got a tone control on your guitar and if you use pedals(this IS TPG), you have one or some AND some on the amp.......enough compensation to deal with pretty much anything.

17. la noise

la noise Member

I don't always want spongy, but when I do the Sheptones
    have been the spongiest of the lot. So fun to play when
    I want that bounce in the attack and a really woody
    character. And they are in the most reasonably priced
    category when it comes to boutique, handwound PAFs. :aok

18. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I would also add the Seth Lovers to that list. Honestly, you might find better sounding humbuckers than Duncan, but enough to justify the upcharge.

19. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I have owned original PAFs since '78. That said, I recently put a set of OX4s in a Gibson historic Les Paul/SG standard and I'm quite pleased with them. I even tried the bridge OX4 in my '59 LP standard as a comparison "the real deal" and it was a just a little brighter than my original PAF, but it was very close in tone and response. The OX4s work quite well in my historic SG, and have a clarity to them the burst buckers just didn't have though the ohms values were not all that different.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    AceBSpankin likes this.
  20. travis bickle

travis bickle Member

Another vote for wcr pickups. I have the godwood/darkburst combination (along with 50's styled wiring and bumblebee capacitors) in a les paul studio and i couldnt be any happier.

Gatorman352 likes this.