Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 10, 2015.

Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

1. Gibson

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Lollar

22 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Throwback

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Seymour Duncan

55 vote(s)
    18.1%
  5. Fralin

22 vote(s)
    7.2%
  6. Wolftone

30 vote(s)
    9.9%
  7. Other

115 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. JonSick

JonSick Member

I have no idea what they would be like with a Fender, but no reason to think it would be bad. I've had them through a JTM45 before and they still sounded good which I believe is a little Princeton-ish from what I vaguely recall reading somewhere. Between these, the Whole Lotta humbuckers and the DiMarzio PAF 36th, they were still my favorite set.

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

ECP, OX4, Wizz, ReWind, Doyle Coils, ThroBak...man, there's too many good PAF winders! I say eenie minee moe that decision and then get on board the endless nightmare train of trying every PAF under the sun :bonk

enharmonic and la noise like this.
  3. edwardz

edwardz Member

4. white cloud

white cloud Member

More props to BG Pups, although I don't have a more traditional PAF Humbucker from him, I do have quite of few of his pickups. Hellabucker, Lizard, Pure90, Hot90 Phatty and some re-wound mini-hums.
    All of these pups are stellar. Note from FaceBook it does look like he is moving from Norcal to Colorado so I don't know how prompt his reply would be. I would also add to the list the SD Seth Lover, have one in the bridge of my Yammy SG500

5. Redrum

Redrum Member

Lot's of great suggestions for the OP, that's for sure.

I'm really happy with a set of Wolfetone Dr. V's I have in a chambered LP. Those pups are really nice with their clear, rather modest output. Sound great playing clean too. Also have a set of Wolfetone Legends in a 335 which have a little more output than the V's. The Legends like to be fed a little dirt. Love em'.

Wolfe is cool too. When I ordered mine, he asked what type of guitar the pickups were going to be used in, what type of amps I use, style of music I play and the general type of tone I was shooting for. I felt pretty involved in the purchase and happy with the results.

6. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

I'll chime in with DiMarzio 36th Anny pups.

I've owned just about all that have been listed...Holmes (2 sets), WCR (4 different sets), Wolfetone (3 different sets), Bare Knuckle (3 different sets), Sheptone (3 different sets), Arcane, Bogner, Motor City Blackbelt, Smits (2 different sets, BG Buckers, the standard Gibson PAF range pickups, including the new Custombuckers, all the Duncan PAF range offerings, as well as others I'm forgetting at this moment...but in the end, the lowly $135 per set DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pup does just as well, and it is the set I always end up putting back in after I've spent another $300-$400 on another set, foolishly thinking, "maybe this winder has found the tonal fountain of youth," but invariably, I'm back to the trusty 36th Anny set within a week or two.

As an example of my lunacy, I just ordered a new set of Suhr Thornbuckers this morning...will put them in my Les Paul on Monday (when they arrive). I'll report back to this thread with my findings (and when I put the DiMarzio's back in!!!).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    big jilm, amstrtatnut, johnh and 4 others like this.
  7. strawberries

strawberries Member

8. clay49

Ok, got the Suhr Thornbuckers into my Les Paul...um, DANG!!!

Similar to the DiMarzio 36th Annys, but a bit thicker, warmer, and fuller. Good articulation and attack, very vintage feel and sound.

I like 'em...my new favorite!

GaryMcT likes this.
  9. krz4fx

krz4fx When too many really is TOO many... Gold Supporting Member

I have a pair of SD Antiquities in my 77 Custom LP and they sound excellent!!!

la noise likes this.
  10. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

My vote goes to WCR/Jim Wagner. I have his American Steele set in a 335 and I would absolutely put them in a les paul. If I put these in a LP I might take the covers off because they're double cream underneath-- I love that look....Anyway, seriously great pickups, and Jim Wagner is a great guy who stands behind his stuff.

Gatorman352 likes this.
  11. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

Geez, so many options! Everything depends on you, your guitars, your amps, how you play, what you play, what you want to hear from a humbucker...

I got a set of Throbak's for my Collings CLDlx and thought they were great. Expensive, but great. Then I read about OX4 and got the bug, wanted to try those as well. I had some very good, very informative communications with the OX4 guy, told him what I had and what I wanted, he was super helpful and wound a set for me that are very slightly different than standard.

Indeed, the OX4's are the best I've ever played. Perfect for me!

That said, in retrospect I did not take enough time to dial the Thobaks in and I'm thinking I could have gotten a killer tone had I been more patient. They had some magic for sure. If I needed another humbucker guitar I'd have OX4's in one, Throbaks in another.

Finally, I own a set of Wizz P-90's that are BY FAR the best P-90's I've ever played. Almost exactly identical to my all time favorite set of real '58's. Based on this example alone I'd love to own a set of his paf's.

12. Echomachine

Echomachine Supporting Member

Wizz! then throbak or Greco Dry Z.

13. la noise

la noise Member

Ha! Cool. :dude

Can you call us in a week or two just to be sure. :huh

:D

14. la noise

la noise Member

Clearly..... the answer to the OPs question is:

"All of the above." :aok

johnh likes this.
  15. clay49

I just ordered an OX4 bridge and a Throbak SLE-101 bridge...going to see if either of these can unseat my Suhr Thornbucker!!!

GaryMcT likes this.
  16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Currently GASing for a set of the thornbuckers for my '73 lp custom, have gibson '57 classics in there now. Watt I find tough with the paf style pickups is finding a set that is wax potted and has 4 conductors. I like running the '57 classics in parallel wiring from time to time, so its nice to have 4 conductor to hook up to the push pull tone pots I have in my lp.

17. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

I am truly surprised that I'm the first to mention Jim Rolph..
    Truly authentic and outstanding
    PAF tone..

18. SR King

SR King Member

Seymour Duncan '59's!

Phletch likes this.
  19. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

I may be uncool, but I'm completely happy with Burstbucker Pros and have no inclination to change.

amstrtatnut and Windup 43 like this.
  20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have this old guitar sitting around in the basement, with these pickups from Gibson. Not sure what they are, they've got a torn black label with gold writing on it, can't read it... They sound pretty good, though! :)