Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 10, 2015.

Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

1. Gibson

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Lollar

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Throwback

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Seymour Duncan

55 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Fralin

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Wolftone

29 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. Other

115 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

OX4 bridge and Throbak SLE-101 have both arrived! Now, I just need some time to drop them in and see what magic awaits!

2. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

It's Throbak
    And that's my choice x 2

3. groovington

groovington Member

Tim Shaw pickups, but don't overpay for them.

4. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Jim Wagner (WCR) Crossroad Neck, Darkburst Bridge in my R9 since '04.

Gatorman352 likes this.
  5. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

OK, going to just cut to the chase here, and not give you a long dissertation. A quick recap...started out with DiMarzio 36th's being my "go-to" having preferred them over many boutique winds over the last 5 years or so.

Within the last three weeks, I've tried the Suhr Thornbuckers, OX4 and Throbak SLE-101. Bottom line for me...I still prefer the DiMarzion 36th Annys. In the end, their just more articulate, snappy, more string definition in OD mode playing. Don't get me wrong, the others are good and have their merits for sure, but they just don't have the life the DiMarzio's give me in my LP guitars. That being said, if you're looking for a good PAF wind and don't have the cash for the boutique route, you honestly won't be missing anything, so buy the $74 DiMarzio and rock on. If you have the money (which, thankfully, I have in recent days), try what you can, and sell what you don't like. Everyone's ear is different, but I'm sold on the DiMarzio once and for all...that pretty much concludes me trying all the "must have boutique PAF" winds on the market, and I'm satisfied with my findings, which in the end, is all that really matters, eh???

Watch for the OX4 bridge and the Throbak SLE-101 bridge in the emporium soon...I'm sure they'll make someone very happy.

6. tashiattack

tashiattack Member

7. Chadjohneto

Chadjohneto Supporting Member

I really like the Burstbuckers 1 and 2. Sound great in my R9.

8. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Member

9. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

10. kboman

kboman Member

Was underwhelmed by my Wolfetone (Dr Vintage bridge model), it just lacked a personality I could connect with. I really like my mid-70s Dimarzio PAF and the set of 1972 Maxons I just sold, but for my main guitar I have settled for Super-Dry humbuckers from Fatboy. Amazing things!

11. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

The Tom Holmes humbuckers are what I use. Got a set in my 335 and a set in my PRS.

They are my absolute favorites and I've owned a bunch of oldies from the 50's.

I believe mine are alnico 2.

Tom told me they are the same set that Billy Gibbons uses...when he's not using Duncan Pearly Gates pickups.

I like those too.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiftywattmafia likes this.
  12. 70's Hard Rock

70's Hard Rock Supporting Member

13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Same here, I bought my Standard new in '02 and have always adored the BB Pros in that guitar- I've never considered swapping them out.

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  14. neville5000

neville5000 Member

This is my vote; truly outstanding. Nuanced, articulate, clarity, depth, grunt; it's all there. I have the 58 Prerenders, but he'll wind different years.

I have his Tele pickups and a Strat middle in my Nashville Tele and they are killer as well.

apoyando likes this.
  15. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Supporting Member

WCR Fillmore set. WCR have changed their name to Jim Wagner Pickups or JWP....but same set. I've got an older set when they were still WCR and that set it MAGIC. Big, huge slamming sound that is on the hotter side but still ALL PAF warm but still clear....amazing that it can do both.

ThroBak....pick your set. MC102B set has been my favorite overall. JW set is great, too.

Wizz, Shed, Bare Knuckle also all very very good!

Jazzgt2000 likes this.
  16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Wolfetone Legends I put in my R8; they brought that guitar to life. The Burstbuckers sounded congested and bloated in comparison. The Legends are clear, dynamic and articulate. I do also like Fralin's Pure PAF's though. I have a set in a 335 and an SG that both sound really good.

17. Jack Fossett

Jack Fossett Member

I'm a huge Porter fan too, love the Anthems. Probably my favorite humbucker set in general so far.

18. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Suhr Thornbuckers for me.

GaryMcT likes this.
  19. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

Obviously a very subjective thing, but I keep hearing from guys who've auditioned all the boutique stuff that nothing's done it for them like the SD Ant's.
    Just picked up a 335 and wouldn't mind swapping in some better pups and am currently most inclined to try the SD's. Originally was thinking Ox4's or something else "boutique", but, honestly, why?

20. hotmod

hotmod Member

I like the Gibson 490's and the Seymour Duncan antiquities so far, more than others. Close by are the burstbucker 1&2 set.