Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Aug 10, 2015.

Poll - Your favorite PAF inspired Humbuckers for a Les Paul

1. Gibson

33 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Lollar

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Throwback

27 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Seymour Duncan

55 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Fralin

22 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Wolftone

29 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. Other

115 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

Anybody tried Rio Grande BBQ/Genuine Texas on your Les Pauls? How do you like them?

2. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I tried a Bluesman Vintage LP last week that was loaded with Flying Mojo T Tops. They are made from NOS parts from the Kalamazoo factory. Now, I've been perfectly happy with my 2006 R9 and 2001 R7... but when I tried that guitar and heard the tone, it was a revelation. My wife said they sounded fantastic too. However, she is adamant about both guitars staying stock. I can't argue with her about it - she's a former collector / trader / seller. So they stay stock, and all the case candy stays intact. But I *want* those pickups! What that means is, getting a guitar that has those pups already, or getting another LP that she doesn't mind if I mod. That Bluesman Vintage LP is a killer piece, that's for sure.

3. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

...update for you weary humbucker chasers: I bit the bullet and grabbed a reasonably-priced set of Tom Holmes PAF pups (455/450) in the Emporium and installed them into my LP. Now granted, this is the 4th set I've tried in the last 5 years. I had convinced myself (since I sold the last set) that I just needed to try them one more time and I would finally "hear" the magical difference, but it's just not there, not for me, not for medium-gain Classic rock tones, which is where I live and play. My lowly DiMarzio 36th Annys are still more articulate, deeper tone, smoother OD tone, simply captures those classic sounds better, IMHO, than the Holmes. Now I have to confess, I use a 36th Anny neck in both bridge and neck positions and it's just right through my Kemper loaded with Michael Britt files...so add the Holmes the fast growing pile of high-end boutique PAF pickups I've listed on Reverb.

la noise and amstrtatnut like this.
  4. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Having tried a number of pickups, my favourites are Bare Knuckle Mules and WCR American Steele.

sets I've been through are: Burst buckers 1 & 2, Seymour Duncan '59, Wolfetone DR V, Wolfetone Legends, WCR Crossroads (very good!) and Throbak SLE101 LTD MXV (didn't gel with these at all).

I realised I prefer a hotter PAF style pickup.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

There's so many good ones out there but, my personal favorites are the RS Fralins. The originals, not the True 60s. They are just fantastic. I've had a set in my 95 Custom Shop LP Custom for over 10 years now and love them. Just fantastic, and I'm a huge fan of all of Lindy's pickups as well. His stuff is really hard to beat.

I still have a set of Peter Florence Voodoo 59s that I haven't installed in anything yet. Guess I need another LP someday!!

la noise likes this.
  6. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

https://www.facebook.com/UlyateInstruments/?pnref=lhc

Howard is in Tustin. You should really check out his work...

7. 71strat

71strat Member

For a PAF its Tom Holmes for me.

I was tickled to death after I heard these.

I bought 2 sets a couple years ago, and had to wait 20 months, but got them in 20, which was ok, and gave me time to save for a LP type guitar to put them in.

Tom was sick, and wasn't winding many pickups then. Times are down to 3 months I hear.

I also had Tom Reverse the Neck Magnets in mine. Mine are Zebras x Unpotted.

Toms pups are 7.6k x 8.3k x Alnico II.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rummy

rummy Member

9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I have very little experience with buckers. Based on clay49's posts, it seems the dimarzio's are at least worth a shot

I have epiphone pickups in my epi dot, and they sound really good. Im gonna try a set of seth lovers in ther, but honestly dont expect angels to sing when I do. But Ill give em a shot.

I dont own a real les paul, but I have tried a few les paul trad pros at gc and really like the stock pickups in those guitars. I cant see wanting to swap them.

I have an agile al2000 with a gibson classic 57 in the neck and a tonrider alnico 2 classic in the bridge. The 57 sounds very good. Not angels singing, but very good. The tone rider is as good and compliments the 57 very nicely.

Toneriders probably dont cost enough to interest guys on here with r9s and such, but I like mine just fine for its application.

So on my short list.
    Dimarzio 36 anni
    Duncan seth lovers.

I highly doubt Ill go boutique even when I do get a real les paul. While Im sure many are great, I think beyond a certain pricepoint youre paying for snake sauce. Ymmv.

10. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

11. snarl

snarl Member

I love TV Jones Powertrons. They may be the filter type but they go into humbucker territory while keeping some gretsch sparkle. At about $120 they are very hard to beat. And Tom has a converter ring for humbucker guitars.

12. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Dimarzio 36th anniversary matched set. Pots and Caps sorted. 1981 L.P. Custom. 1001 different tones, and every single one of them perfect and amazing.

13. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Me too. I've got the 1812 set in mine

14. BP-Plickner

BP-Plickner Silver Supporting Member

I have Shed PAF Daddy's in my Dave's R8 Les Paul and my Collings I35. Great sounding pickups!
    I came to the Sheds after trying Wolfetone Dr Vintage, Legends and mix sets of Marshalheads etc. all great sounding pickups, and WCR crossroads, and Bare Knuckle Mules which were OK and BK Strormy
    Monday's (my least fav), and various WB Pickups as well as 1969's T Tops. I have tried many combinations of these and other pickups and keep coming back to the Sheds. The Wolfetones are a close second

There are many great pickup winders around these days offering many great choices.

15. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I really love the two sets of Sheptone pickups I have. One is an open face alnico 2 AB set (with very light potting).

The other is nickel covered and the neck is an A5 AB and while the bridge is A2 and wound hotter than the AB.

I also really like my set of Klein Solid Body Epic pickups

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  16. ES330

ES330 Member

Bareknuckle VH II

17. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I've been pretty happy with the '57 Classic / '57 classic plus combo in my LP. I liked them more than the thinner sounding burstbuckers I've tried. the PAF rabbit hole is endless it seems. I wouldn't even know where to start

18. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I'm digging Suhr Thornbuckers in mine.

19. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

My top 3 PAFs as of late have been OX4 , wizz and re-wind. To me all three are great but have thier own thing going but still with a certain clarity.

I've been really liking the rewind pre 72 JP's

20. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I absolutely LOVE the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pups!