Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Wolftone

Votes: 31 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 117 38.0%

• Total voters

GaryMcT

Gold Supporting Member
My R9 came with Custom Buckers. Both pickups were about the same impedance and didn't match well so they had to come out. I get the impressions that the winding is fairly random and they don't attempt to match them.

Classic09

My R9 came with Custom Buckers. Both pickups were about the same impedance and didn't match well so they had to come out. I get the impressions that the winding is fairly random and they don't attempt to match them.
The Custom Buckers are wound to about the same specs regardless of position, just as original PAFs were. E.g the neck and bridge picks would be wound to 8.2k and chucked into a bin. When the pickups were required, they'd be taken out of the bin and wired into the guitar without further consideration.

This means that the neck will more than likely sound louder than the bridge pickup when set the same (0-10 on the dial).

Having matched output pickups is more of a modern approach wonders have taken to help resolve the imbalance.

blueman61

Anything by Manlius. Mick is a great winder. I have his Landmarks, Fat Dianes and HR 59s (as well as a bunch of single coil sets) I tend not to go anywhere else these days. His prices are very reasonable as well. Not sure why he isn't mentioned more around here.

BlueFlameAmps

Anything by Manlius. Mick is a great winder. I have his Landmarks, Fat Dianes and HR 59s (as well as a bunch of single coil sets) I tend not to go anywhere else these days. His prices are very reasonable as well. Not sure why he isn't mentioned more around here.
Amen, I have his Fat Dianes in all my Gibsons! Finally have a neck pickup sound with clarity (after numerous pickup swaps.) The Dianes haven't budged in six or seven years.

Nate Rohweder

If I may just widen the field a bit further...

Don Grosh's small block 302 and 327 buckers are phenomenal. Probably not the best example bc he uses them in a strat but I know Mark Lettieri is a big fan. I've tried both and they are very articulate, would recommend.

David Garner

Gold Supporting Member
57 Classics. I quit looking once I put those in.

I might try a Seth in the neck one day though.
Wow, this is an old thread.

So I didn't get the Seths, but I did get a set of Wolfetone Dr. Vintage which were amazing, but then I got a second Les Paul with Antiquities, and ended up with the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set (unpotted) in the one that had the 57 Classics/Wolfetones in it. So now I'd say "Antiquities," though the Wolfetones and the Custom Shop Pearlies are also outstanding.

DonaldDemon

Same here. I put a Hot Rod PAF and Modern Vintage in my Edward's to replace the JB/59 combo and it nailed the sound I was going for and totally transformed that guitar from good to great, and is now my #1. I respect the fact that that he keeps his prices within reach of being reasonable.

deegee

Will Boggs pickups are in two of my favorite LP's and a Kramer Baretta. A lot of you have heard of this guy and what a terrible business man he was but his pickups are to die for. I tried them all or at least it felt like it and I had T-Tops in my custom and decided to give his Reverend humbuckers a go and was more than pleased with what I heard.

cosmic_ape

Supporting Member
Holy necro thread bump, Batman!

I vote Wolfetone Dr. Vintage, out of that poll. Otherwise, Haussel ‘59s FTW!

0xeneye

Supporting Member
I love Seymour Duncan PAFS, and If I want new sounds, I just replace a magnet (A2, A4, A5) and / or reset the pickup height. They remain articulate. PS. No one person knows what an authentic PAF is, they were all over the place tonewise.

_sjm_

Supporting Member
I’ve had a few over the years. A while back I had Antiquities in a LP Studio and Custombuckers in an R4 oxblood. Completely different guitars, so bear that in mind.

They really seemed like opposite ends of the PAF spectrum in those guitars... The Ants were fairly dark, but adjusting the neck pickup height and pole pieces got it sounding the way I wanted it. The Custombuckers were surprisingly bright in comparison.

Now I have an R8 with RS/Fralin True 60’s and they seem to be the best of both worlds. Clear without being overly bright. The bridge is labeled as 8.4k and the neck is 7.something (it’s partially rubbed off).

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member
Love the various flavors of PAF’s Jon offers. Throbak has always been a favorite of mine. I’ve had many sets. Have had 2 sets of Ellis. Marvelous PAF sounding. Enter Tom Holmes 450/455. This has become the set that my ears want to hear. Funny thing is the more I play them the better they sound. Pickups breaking in???

blueman61

The other thing about Manlius is that Mick doesn't make you wait months or years for your stuff. He responds to emails quickly and seems to be able to wind and ship quickly as well. I know this is a Humbucker thread, but in the single coil dept. Rob at Cavalier is the same: Great pickups and you get them without a wait. I've had many other pickups from other winders which I waited for, in some, cases 6-9 months and when I contacted them, they had forgotten my order. That's after taking 100% of my money. With Mick and Rob, I'm through with that forever. BTW, I still like Dimarzio and Duncan (as, it seems, do a lot of name players) and those are readily available.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Gold Supporting Member
Jim Wagner Good Woods. I think they were called good woods when I bought em before they became God Woods.

Trending Topics