Vendor Poly Digit: Quad Delay, Reverb, Mixer, Cab Sim. What features do you want?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by polyexpressive, Feb 19, 2019.

1. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

Mmm... I might think of something more cunning there, what should happen if you choose something with only one parameter? Does the previous thing you touch end up on the left knob?

I'm aiming to have the big firmware ready to test this week and if everything is smooth everyone can get it next week. I've got a usable design for how you connect effects together and some better design how it all hangs together. I've also added a few more effects.

Basically you now in "connect stuff" mode touch an effect and it shows a list of the outputs if there's more than one and then you can touch another effect and it'll ask which input if there's more than one. This is nice for when you're routing control signals like the modify stuff, though that still need some more testing. I'll put up some videos really soon.

4b454e and Peetlett like this.
  2. Peetlett

Peetlett Member

If there’s only 1 parameter, then both knobs could control it or 1 would do nothing?

Cool! I’m excited for the update. But, I probably won’t put the Digit on my main board until the midi out stuff is in there.

3. Peetlett

Peetlett Member

Is there a chance the USB port on the Digit will be able to function as a midi host?

Christian Surieux likes this.
  4. Peetlett

Peetlett Member

@polyexpressive you might already be changing this in the new firmware, but it would be nice for the BPM to be flashing in time. Maybe a dot beside it or a box around it. Also, from a tactile perspective, it would be more comfortable to use if the buttons on the screen were spaced out from the edges a little bit more. Right now, I feel like I have to mash my finger against the metal casing to select Delay, Reverb, Mixer, etc. Also, it would be helpful for the selected delay line that’s being modified to change color on the grid. It’s a little hard to tell if it’s right on a line or beside it. Maybe you could also have a different color line for the selected delay showing exactly where it lines up on the grid.

Just a few thoughts on how to make a better user experience. I’m really excited about the possibilities of the Digit as it matures

5. fishdog

fishdog Member

Just got a digit yesterday...a lot of potential here but it has not been directly intuitive.

I was super glad to come here and see your comment about selecting a parameter and then being able to change the value with the knob! I would love to see this. Also pretty happy to hear you have an idea for this modular routing to be more visual and a little easier to keep your signal chain clear.

One thing I would like to see is on parameters that can be double clicked maybe just a like a small dot next to the parameter icon as an indicator that there is a sub menu that can be accessed.

And, until I fooled around enough, didnt know some of the input/outputs were scroll-able lists, the color scheme could slightly be changed for those boxes to indicate that there are more options to make it a little more intuitive.

An optional setting that would be nice, is maybe on the setting pages allowing one of the switches to act as a tab button to quickly tab between parameters. This could be useful with the selected parameter to be changed by knobs addition.

Overall great job putting this together, I cannot wait to see what is to come in the next firmware! And for small projects like this if firmware ever stops evolving, please please please open source the code!

Keep up the great work!

Dandolin and Peetlett like this.
  6. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Gotta say, I was surprised at the number of people who felt the need to leave a comment on this thread along the lines of "A Carbon Copy is plenty complex enough for me!" etc. etc. Like, why?

So to counteract that nonsense, I just want to say: hats off to you @polyexpressive - this is an insanely cool piece of gear you're creating! Nice job! I'll be watching with interest.

Can I offer feedback from a marketing perspective? I think you're sitting right in the sweet spot in terms of positioning. You've got similar price tag to a Timeline/Bigsky or Specular Tempus, but if it sounds just as good, this offers way more in terms of functionality. On the other end of the spectrum, it's significantly cheaper than an HX Stomp, yet it can perform many of the same roles, though obviously not all. I think you're onto something here! Oh, and the pink sparkle paint choice looks dope.

polyexpressive likes this.
  7. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Couple questions as I finally found some time to play

What is Tape vs Tube in the Delay 1 effects? I am not hearing a difference when changing either of the parameters. Is it supposed to be changing the signs going into the delay, the repeats, both, or “other”? :)

Is there a way to change reverb time? I think I read earlier that the limit is 4 seconds, but is there a decay time or similar parameter? I am only seeing Gain which, I think, acts as reverb level.

Suggestion for knob behavior:
    When in the reverb selection page, let one of the knobs be used to scroll. I find myself scrolling and then (because I am trained my my iPhone) I tap to halt the scroll. This selects a reverb. That’s predictable and fine, but I think the encoder could be a more precise selector

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  8. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

Sorry I've been off line for the weekend, had a bit on for my birthday. :)

I've actually made a lot of progress on the MIDI out stuff. I might get it into this firmware or I'll have a minor update in the next week or two. This firmware is massive change to a few big scary bits so that's why it's taking ages to do and test, but then a bunch of other stuff is really easy to do afterwards.

Yes. I have tested it already actually. This big problem is that many MIDI devices are bus powered and so you'll have to work out if it'll exceed both the supply limits of your power supply and the supply limits of the 9V-5V power converter in Digit. I'll run a few more numbers to see what most of my MIDI gear needs power wise. Also I'm a bit worried about weird stuff happening ground loops but I'm looking into it. It might start off as a feature you'll need to ask me about so I can check if whatever you're plugging in will work.

Changing all the spacing stuff and I've got a pretty animation for the BPM now. I've had it actually for a year but I only just made it run fast enough now that the GPU (graphics processor) is working in the new firmware.

Good idea with the indicator for double tap. I'm attempting to standardise that so I can get away from some of the hidden stuff. Have you watched the current parameter assigning video? It's a bit fiddly so hopefully you prefer the new setup. Thanks for the info about the scroll lists too. I'll see what I can do. Maybe semi transparent the bottom one or something.

With the tap vs tube, enable that effect and crank up the drive. It blends between a tape overdrive / compression and a tube one. All the effects in that view will just change the repeats of delay 1. If you set the delay to full wet (kill the dry) and then try moving between tape and tube you'll see how the tape compression is quite different in the high end vs the tube and the dynamic response is quite different. It's most obvious when you've given it plenty of drive. If they aren't boosting much they'll sound similar.

With reverb time the way to change it is changing to a different IR. IRs are real spaces / things so just like a spring tank it's a fixed length. There are ways to fake it by putting a envelope on the IR but I don't like the results of that approach. The IRs are mostly numbered with larger numbers being longer reverb times. So for example if you go into the EMP plates collection, the dark 1 is short but dark 4 is quite long.

In other news... if anyone has some nice sounding videos I'd love to see them! Josh Smith put up 2 yesterday which was quite surprising!

9. Peetlett

Peetlett Member

Happy birthday!

That’s awesome that the MIDI out stuff is coming soon. Also, it’s an awesome surprise that it’ll work as a MIDI host. Digit is going to knock 4 or 5 pedals off my board (of course making room for more ). Right now I’m using a host to pass PCs to a Zoom MS70. I power both the MS70 and Digit with a Truetone CS7, so hopefully there wouldn’t be any ground loops.

It’s also great to hear you’ve been working on some of the visual/spacing stuff. Can’t wait for the next update or 2!

10. 4b454e

4b454e Member

Happy birthday!!

polyexpressive likes this.
  11. scottl

scottl Member

Waiting for the update, then vids.....

12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I own one and feel the same. I’d also really like a manual, but I guess it won’t happen until the software is in some sort of final state. Honestly, I love the sounds, but I’m not finding the current interface very intuitive. I can’t even figure out how to use the Tap switch to reliably tap in a tempo. It’s unpredictable and all over the place. Maybe I’m just not understanding how it works. Or maybe my Tap button is faulty.

I have no idea, so I haven’t even bothered putting mine on my board yet after owning it for two months already. I bought it mainly for the ‘verbs given I use a Volante and Thermae... and a Zoia... and a Mood... and an upcoming Blooper on my board already, but hopefully I can get the Delay in the Digit sorted or figure it out at some point. Haha

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  13. scottl

scottl Member

Exactly. I am gigging musician and I need to have the option of a simpler interface. I won’t be putting the Poly on my board unless I can intuitively and easily make basic sounds. I really only want one verb and one or two delays, parallel or series. No cab sim. Just HQ verb and delay.

14. your name here

Anybody talked to Loki in the past few days? I was trying to work through my Tap Tempo issue and sent him a video as he requested, but haven’t heard back.

Other issues that have cropped up, or are ongoing:

• Abrupt audio glitch then dropout that sounds like the buzzing of a disconnected cable followed by no signal. Power cycling fixed this and it’s only happened once.

• Footswitches and screen stop responding in the middle of playing. Footswitches have done this a couple of times. Power cycling fixed it before. Screen has done it twice, just today. Power cycling didn’t fix the footswitches or the screen today.

• Tap Tempo - as I said above, I can’t make it work reliably. New tempos aren’t accurately reflected by the bpm display or on the delay graph when tapped in.

Maybe it’s me, though? Are any of you experiencing issues like these? Does anyone know if there’s a factory reset?

@polyexpressive - I’ve sent you a couple more emails with video. Tagging you here, and on Reverb in case they didn’t go through.

15. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

I'm around but it's 8am here and you sent me the video an hour ago. I thought I'd got back to you about the tap tempo. Basically from the video if you tap too fast it'll filter those out as it's not a valid BPM. As I said I'd love to explain on Skype or something. If you look in your video you've got the delay on a fraction of a beat, so if you put it on a quarter note it'll be much clearer.

If you create a feedback condition you'll have to restart the pedal as it goes into protection mode. I'll have a look at the other videos you sent me as I just woke up. I did get all your messages.

16. your name here

If I tap too fast? So you’re saying it’s impossible to tap in anything like a fast slap? I’ve tried quarter notes. Same behavior. Unpredictable and the change in time isn’t reflected in the Delay graph. This is literally the only pedal I’ve ever had where I’ve had trouble tapping in a tempo. As I said, sometimes when I tap faster I even get a slower repeat and vice versa. We’re going ‘round and ‘round here and it just seems broken to me.

Re: The “feedback condition I created” - not sure how that’s possible as I was just using a factory unmodified preset at bedroom volume at the time. The possibility of more random shutdowns is a big red flag, though. Would like some kind of resolution and reassurance around that if I’m to integrate this pedal into my rig. I see nothing out of the ordinary that Digit would’ve been reacting to. Any suggestions?

Non-responsive screen and footswitches - Regardless of the other issues, this one can’t be excused or explained away as user error. Does it sound like I have a faulty unit? If so, can I factory reset? Or do I just need a new unit?

17. your name here

@polyexpressive - Just got your email. Yeah, I’ll try a reset if you’ll let me know how it’s done. Thanks. :)

18. Peetlett

Peetlett Member

I’ve also had the loud buzz thing happen to me once. Also using a factory setting and 1 in 1 out. Had to power cycle. Haven’t played it much since to replicate it.

19. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

If you weren't changing routing it can't be feedback. So it'll be 100% something else. Sorry the delay times behaviour is confusing. I'm changing all the delay interface to make pattern mode less of a focus as most people aren't doing pattern delays anyway. I'm also making modifiers much simpler as the current system isn't getting a lot of use.

your name here likes this.
  20. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

Any idea which preset you were using? I've recently fixed a few bugs but it sounds like a new one.