Poly Digit: Quad Delay, Reverb, Mixer, Cab Sim. What features do you want?

I don't know if it's possible, but having a master set list that has presets from Poly and Beebo all in one place would be very handy.
I assume you would also want to be able to have it switch firmware as part of switching to that preset on the set list?

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Y'all are asking for $1000 capabilities in a $400 box. I assume you're down with a price increase.

medcall

Hello.
MAny thanks to the designer to push the envelope with a pedal like this, really .
Respects to your imagination and work!!

Im thinking of the pedal as a replacement for some other pedals like delays reverbs, tremolo and amp/cab sim.
I think from what i am hearing that the amps in the presets don't sound very convincing , at least from what i am hearing which is certainly very little, because videos dont show much of the amp sim capabilities. As if they could be the weakest part.
I think you could probably solve it downloading IR's from the internet.

Am i wrong of thinking of Poly Digit as a pedal for recording nicely and replacing three or four pedals? For example the NUX MG 300 has a nice amp/cab sim section which to me sounds good if you are just trying to have a nice sound and no experimentation, plus it is crazy cheap.
I know that digit / beebo are crazy good for the effects / granular / synth sounds and experimenting but my doubts are in the more normal department. I am not sure if I would improve with the digit the sound i get with my cabzeus GFI. It is just a cab sim but the quality of the sound is great.Of course i know thatDIGIT /BEEBO is a much more complex and a high quality pedal too. it is also more interesting but for easy clean guitar with good amp sounds i would like to hear your opinions.
Sorry about the long post but have not read any post with similar questions.
Thanks!

I'd try fading the end. It'll need a bit of tuning to work out the best fade length, I usually trim at 131072 samples, it's around 2.73 seconds and I fade the last 0.2 seconds. Running them with a delay helps too.
@polyexpressive Should it be possible to "join" snippets of a long IR with a crossfade? Here's what I tried -
  1. Take a 7 second IR
  2. Cut it into two 3.5 second IRs
  3. Cross fade the first into the second
  4. Add two IR Reverb blocks - one with the first half (a) and one with the second half (b)
  5. Run a delay with a 3500ms delay time and a single repeat into (b)
  6. Route the main audio into (a) and the delay line and the output of both reverbs to the main out
However when I tried that, there's a big gap between the two. In fact there's an audible delay until I get down to 860ms or so on the delay line, which is WAY shorter than the length of the first WAV file and way earlier than I would have expected the first to have faded down into silence.

Is there something I'm missing here? The numbers above suggest it might be 3s and not 3.5s, but I figured I'd ask if I'm missing something before I go down a bunch of blind alleys. :)

Edit: Also, is there a document somewhere of what parameters are required for IRs? It seems finicky about either file names or formats (I assume 24/48 WAV from previous conversations) since often nothing gets copied or occasionally the files are there but don't seem to make sound.

Last edited:

Godspeed64

I just got my unit yesterday, and spent an hour with it. Read through the entire thread, watched tonnes of videos across the past two years, and finally got accepted to the FB group last night.

I am more interested in the Beebo than the Digit since I don't need IRs. I do however, play through entirely on headphones when I practice at home.

1) My bypass and output straight signal (in 1 to out 1, in 3 to out 3) does not sound the same. Posts #922 and #920 seem to have the same issue, so could be a phasing thing on my board? Or maybe after the board and into my IRs on my amp? Once I add effects it gets more pronounced.

2) Post #1037 kinda sucks cause I need the algo reverb, and would be more heartened if the creator is excited about his own creation!

3) I think my biggest feedback would be.... why isn't there a visual "performance" screen? Like an oscilloscope mode, or like software synths ala Equator2 and you can see the expected waveform and how that little ball travels across the waveform based on the input, or maybe even input output meters, or something avantgarde like the OP1 visualisations across their modules. It's a large pretty screen but IMO doesn't showcase enough of a live visual feedback, instead just how our preset looks like patched up. Nothing wrong without it, and I am definitely in the minority liking these touches.

i_b_tulloch

Just discovered this device. Checked out Leon Todd’s review and it looks impressive. I use tube amps into Suhr reactive Load IRs to record. It’s great having the mono IR signal, but I would like to have 3 individual IR outputs that I can mix into the stereo outputs. So, for example I would use a close mic’d SM57, close mic’d R121, and a room mic. This way I could mix the mic levels the traditional way and pan the close mic’s to taste. I have tons of IR packs that also include the room IRs. I wouldn’t necessarily record like this, but it’s great for standalone playing to get that huge wall of sound.

Basically this was what the UAD Ox allowed me to do, but the Ox loadbox didn’t play well with my amp, and the Suhr RL was just much better.

Could this device play 3x 500ms IRs as described above?

If it can’t do the above, is there another way to get room IR’s involved, perhaps by using a blended close mic IR and a room IR?

What else’s could I expect to be able to run with the IRs? Could I get a delay and reverb too?

Finally, what is the latency when using IRs? (E.g. the Suhr RLIR is 1.2ms A/D/A latency).

Can anyone advise what the Input to Output latency is for the dry signal, e.g. going from Input block straight to output block?

The eq blocks between other blocks is really handy.

@polyexpressive

Last edited:

Leon Todd

I just dialed up a quick preset with 3 mono cab modules, 4 delay modules, a stereo reverb IR and an EQ. CPU indicator didn't come on so that leaves plenty of room for more modules.

I just dialed up a quick preset with 3 mono cab modules, 4 delay modules, a stereo reverb IR and an EQ. CPU indicator didn't come on so that leaves plenty of room for more modules.
It'll come on at 60% so you've got some spare. If there in parallel they split between the CPUs better so they might not add anything to the load. 500ms is too long for a cab IR, you'll be picking up a lot of room sound in that. The reverb IR can have up to 3.5 seconds of IR or you'll be able to run a few shorter ones. However the reverb IR loader adds additional latency as a fixed pre-delay of I think 5.3 ms, but it's been a while since I looked at that bit of code. It might be 2.6 ms, so you won't want to use it as a cab loader. Instead run short IRs for your close mics and room mic with the reverb loader.

If you want to get more exotic, you can then run all of those into a tape machine IR. They are under other in the cabs section.

I just got my unit yesterday, and spent an hour with it. Read through the entire thread, watched tonnes of videos across the past two years, and finally got accepted to the FB group last night.

I am more interested in the Beebo than the Digit since I don't need IRs. I do however, play through entirely on headphones when I practice at home.

1) My bypass and output straight signal (in 1 to out 1, in 3 to out 3) does not sound the same. Posts #922 and #920 seem to have the same issue, so could be a phasing thing on my board? Or maybe after the board and into my IRs on my amp? Once I add effects it gets more pronounced.

2) Post #1037 kinda sucks cause I need the algo reverb, and would be more heartened if the creator is excited about his own creation!

3) I think my biggest feedback would be.... why isn't there a visual "performance" screen? Like an oscilloscope mode, or like software synths ala Equator2 and you can see the expected waveform and how that little ball travels across the waveform based on the input, or maybe even input output meters, or something avantgarde like the OP1 visualisations across their modules. It's a large pretty screen but IMO doesn't showcase enough of a live visual feedback, instead just how our preset looks like patched up. Nothing wrong without it, and I am definitely in the minority liking these touches.

1) It's mostly likely levels, try setting your input level to match your bypass. You'll need to press set input level after moving the value to the correct number, it's a bit confusing.

2) I am excited about the convolution stuff! :D The algo reverbs are mostly for special effects though some people like them. This is just how I see the world, convolution reverb is just mathematically and to me musically a much better way to capture real spaces. If you need an algo reverb, capture one you like as an IR. The advantages of algorithmic reverbs are long max time, being able to modulate the parameters easily and low CPU usage.

3) I'm working on that.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
It might be nice to have control over the input level and output level, or if we are getting real greedy, control per input/output.

JenaMu6

I just received mine yesterday. While I really love the reverbs and delays, I must say that I find the presets in comes with a bit underwhelming.
That might be, cause I bought it for having some more obscure effects like granular stuff.
I will start building some myself and when they are good, I'll share them.

I found the looping delay really noisy, what is causing that?

Any tips on getting it into Microcosm territory?
Anybody got some more exotic patches to share

P.S. really happy to find this page, cause the only other way to get in contact with the userbase is by Orwellian Facebook which I ditched years ago.

Alas the Facebook group is pretty active and is a good community for presets. A non-facebook forum would be a nice addition though. The presets are of varying quality depending a bit on age and what they are trying to explain. Some of them are a bit more tutorial style. Try the chaos strings and sitar delay in Beebo for a more recent one.

Looping delay, turn the reverb down to zero, and turn pitch windows up if you're pitch shifting. Lower window settings will get glitchy that may or may not be fun. To make it interesting connect the looping delay CV inputs up to a sequencer, LFO or the chaos controller.

Check out the preset here, sort by date as recent ones are easier to use, though check if they are audio or MIDI in:

Oh and are you looking at presets on the Digit or Beebo side? Beebo presets are weirder but not as consistent as I haven't added that many good ones yet.

medcall

I just received mine yesterday. While I really love the reverbs and delays, I must say that I find the presets in comes with a bit underwhelming.
That might be, cause I bought it for having some more obscure effects like granular stuff.
I will start building some myself and when they are good, I'll share them.

I found the looping delay really noisy, what is causing that?

Any tips on getting it into Microcosm territory?
Anybody got some more exotic patches to share

P.S. really happy to find this page, cause the only other way to get in contact with the userbase is by Orwellian Facebook which I ditched years ago.
I got my unit for Christmas . I bought it through EFFEKTBOUTIQUE(great shop with excelent customer service) in Germany.
I sent it back after a week. I did not spend long time with it but I found the effects a little bit underwhelming too. Same thing with the presets.
Nice clean sounds on the delays and reverbs but they felt to me as improved plug ins. A little bit cold.
Might be a psychoacoustic thing but was not really inspired to search for sounds in the machine and creating new stuff.
I also think the tactile experience is what i am after and i kind of enjoy the imperfect sounds from a simple DD7 or a DL4. Could also be that this sounds are more similar to what I have listened in records from the 90's until now , but feel more real.

Not saying anything against the pedal , because I think it is a step forward into what is coming and it will probably be the technology used for music. As an amateur user, I am not ready to give up on my old pedals.

JenaMu6

lol......I bought mine form effectboutique as well.

I'm gonna try the downloaded presets tonight and wil try to make some myself(long time modular freak).
Hope they will impress me more. Maybe I'm spoiled by using modulars and granular modules.

lol......I bought mine form effectboutique as well.

I'm gonna try the downloaded presets tonight and wil try to make some myself(long time modular freak).
Hope they will impress me more. Maybe I'm spoiled by using modulars and granular modules.
If you've used any of the Mutable Instruments modules before like Clouds, they are included in Beebo.

Green Radio

Hi from Spain!
I am a proud new owner of a Poly, purchased online to "440Hz", a Italy shop (Thank you Andrea, great costumer service and prices).

I updated to 3.00 firmware, and i am trying to import presets downloaded from Patchstorage (and unzipped ;)) but i can´t see them anywhere. ...........Yes, i created a folder called presets on the usb.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Trending Topics