Poly finish quality of USACG bodies

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by effectsman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I'm moving this thread from the guitars in general since no one has responded.

Anybody bought a polyurethane finished body from USACG? I have a body and neck from them, both done in nitro, but I find the neck in particular too sticky.

I want to go for poly this time (Olympic white) and Tommy says it is thicker than their nitro finishes, but he didn't say how much.

Anyone have one that can make a comment?

2. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Poly is always a bit sticky from new, but over time that will fade and helps tone the neck. so Poly is still the better option, - for now use a bit of talc powder on your hands before playing.. will really help, "loosen" the feel. - but in time you'll find you no longer need it!.

Ive got 2 guitars finished in that.. and normally lasts max 3 months. (depends how much you play)

3. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Do you mean nitro is sticky? Or poly? I've never heard of poly finishes being sticky.

I know nitro normally dries out over time, and mine has, but something about the hot weather here is AUS, my sweat and the nitro on maple neck don't mix well.

4. Dom

Dom Member

I have a USACG strat body in black poly. The finish is excellent and very thin, definitely a lot thinner than anything I've seen from Fender.

5. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

sanded poly (especially simtec brand) feels awesome. you can spray it thinner than nitro, but it's trickier to do that. but don't sweat that. just sand it with 320 or so.

6. calpa94

calpa94 Member

I had a body finished from them several years ago in the same color. They outsourced the paint jobs somewhere else. I'm not sure if that's still the case. I didn't think it was any thicker than any other poly job i've felt.

7. Structo

Structo Member

Finish the neck in Tru Oil, you will never want anything else. :aok