Polytone Mega Brute making noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by heavypick, Sep 19, 2008.

1. heavypick

heavypick Member

My Mega Brute has been making these weird crackling and popping noises intermittently. Then it works fine for a while and starts up again later. What crap!

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I've had several Polytones over the years and loved the sound but when they start having problems it is "Hell" getting them fixed! Very few amp repair guys will work on them and the factory repair process is long and frustrating.

[/IM[​IMG]G]

3. heavypick

heavypick Member

Yikes! I might try using Deoxit in the jacks but if that don't work, the Polytone goes back in the closet. The main thing the Polytone has going for me is that it's loud and small. I can use pedals (pedal-frindly also) with it in NYC rehearsals.

4. heavypick

heavypick Member

Okay so I tried Deoxit and the Polytone is still squealing like bacon on the frying pan. What a POS. Back in the closet.

5. Occam

Occam Member

Change the tubes...sorry, someone had to say it :) I only know of one amp guy in the bay area willing to work on solid state stuff. Good luck, I'm sure there's someone in the New York that is willing to check it out.

6. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Dave Hirsch at Dave's Sound Repair, Whippany NJ. If he cant fix it then throw it away.