• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Poor man's amps Switching idea

vhollund

Hello
In my studio I have 4 tube amps that I plan to run into a "Tone-hound"(load) with a DI (G-2000) in-between
The problem is that amps need time to heat up
So here is the idea

I use one amp for recording going into the loadbox , while another amp that I plan to use afterward is on connected to a speaker cab.
When it's time to switch I turn off all amps and switch cables

the idea is that the ammp has had time to warm up

What do you think of this idea ?

Fulldrive-1

Why not leave the amps on with the standby off, and then just switch standby on the amp that you're using?

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
If they don't have standby, what about just turning the volume knob all the way down?

*Edit - it just occurred to me that you're probably talking about amp heads or avoiding using the speakers, yes? If so, please ignore my comment....

nonameputs

It would work. Not sure if it's any better than waiting 30 seconds for an amp to warm up though. There's also the radial headbone.

vhollund

Yeah I know , but if I can save 200$ on this...
It takes more than 30 seconds for my old tube amps btw :)

vhollund

No but I guess can turn the volume all the way down on the 2 that doesn't
I was not sure this was safe but if you say so i'll trust your words

Btw alow me to compliment your wood work/design it looks great

Bluzeboy

No but I guess can turn the volume all the way down on the 2 that doesn't

That sounds like a really really bad idea to me. No load on a tube amp without a
standby isn't good. How long we talking here to have the amp heat up anyway

TD_Madden

KotWF
Platinum Supporting Member
Because you cant leave a tube amp on without the load

For the most part, sure....but if the volume is all the way down and there's no signal, how serious is the problem? (other than making a mistake and trying to play thru it without the connection)

Bluzeboy

..but if the volume is all the way down and there's no signal, how serious is the problem? (other than making a mistake and trying to play thru it without the connection)
All this aside why would you even want to risk it

vhollund

It could be nice to get that cleared, but I have no idea who you guys are and what your experience is, except Dave for forte speakers who, i assume, must have a considerable amount.

Isn't it almost impossible avoiding some noise signal coming in through the input jack ?

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
It's not about the transmission of signal, it's about the OT seeing a proper load when the amp is powered and off of standby or just powered. With the potential of blowing the OT, I wouldn't risk it. That's an expensive mistake to feel dumb about.

TD_Madden

KotWF
Platinum Supporting Member
Untrue. If you have no signal running through the amp and turn the volume down, you wont hurt the amp.
This is what I've been told before. Obviously no one PLANS to leave the speaker unplugged.

vhollund

So the question that leaves me is :
What is most gentle on the tubes ?
Standby and disconnect speaker or
Power off

Trending Topics