Poor man's best combo effects... zoom G2, digitech rp150?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Looking for something that has a good enough effects like chorus, delay, phaser, tremelo etc. for live playing. Need the small foot print

Will use my own distortion boxes on the front end and the unit should not degrade those sounds. Should also have quality bypass

Are either the zoom G2 or digitech rp150 good enough?

2. Webfoot

bump

I know... not a very exciting choice...

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Member

The effects on the G2 are pretty decent and it's real easy to use/program. I've used mine live with good results.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The effects in older Roland units, like a GT-5, are great to use in a amp's loop..
    Just turn off the amp sims & you have a ton of great sounding affects at hand,
    plus an excellent volume pedal in just the right place ...

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I have a digitech rp300A. I think the effects are excellent, particularly the delays and verbs. The modulation effects are also very darn cool. I have been holding on to mine since I bought it new so I have that ONE patch in case an amp goes down at a gig. Meanwhile, I haven't used it in two years? PM if you are interested in trying it out. . .

6. Webfoot

Anyone try using od or dist pedals into the zoom or digitech. Did those units kind of close off the sound? Have you used these loud into tube amps? Looking for a shootout of the G2 vs RP150 for a poor man's effect unit that you can gig with.

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i use my whole board into the digitech into the pa . . . sounds darn good.

never used the g2

8. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Korg AX3G/AX5G has nice delay, chorus and trem, and okay phase, rotary, vibe, flanger, etc. Super cheap, but not the best construction.

9. KCWM

KCWM Member

The AX3G is kind of a pain to program, the manual isn't as clear as it could be when it comes to the programming, but it has a good amount of options for amp with a gain setting for each one.

Yeah, it's not constructed well, but as long as you aren't stomping it, it shouldn't be too bad. The only limitation I see to live playing is that you can only go up and down presets, so changing between different effects in the same song might be a little hard.

It's actually a pretty nice tool for line in recording, especially when you get into the different amps, and cabinet combinations. The amps are one setting and the cab simulation is another. So you can combine the two.

I actually just recorded a quick verse of an old song of mine. I used the phaser set at the lowest rate for one guitar and the rotary at the highest rate for the 2nd. I set it up to model the blackface 2x12 into a tweed 4x10. I set the gain at 2, treble at 4, the mid at 3, the bass at 8, and the volume at 10. I chose the SH pickup model, which I can only assume is a single/humbucker combo and chose to have them a little out of phase. You can check out the clip at http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6224433

The AX3G is definitely a cool little tool, and pretty cheap. They have an AX5G that has an expression pedal.

10. Jimp

Jimp Member

Check out this part of my web page where I tried to identify what make and models the AX3G was actually trying to model from the clues in the manual. I've just upgraded to Zoom G5 (except that's going off for repair of a cracked LCD) but the AX3G has some nice features such as the singlecoil pickup emulator and an acoustic simulator that does resonators.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim.press/ax3g.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. newi123

newi123 Member

Had a G2 for exactly the reason you say - ran guitar, bb preamp, G2, JTM 45 - G2 used for mod and delay - sounded fine.

also bought a small RP to use as an audio interface, but have also tried it in the above setup - personally I found the G2 much easier to navigate around and program!

In the past have also used a boss ME50 for the same thing - again, works well and the drives were even ok........

Moving up slightly size wise (and price wise!) have you looked at the tc nova system? Really good effects in there. I wish tc would make a smaller nova system for just mod and delay in a smaller more attractive box!

Good luck

12. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Brother, how much money you looking to spend?

I think the boss ME-50 would work well for you.

Digitech RP500 is a good option too.

I think the lower end Digitech RP200 or 300 would also be a viable option.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Zoom G series either.

13. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

...I'd buy a Boss DD-3, a Boss CH-1, an MXR phase 90 and a Trem of your choice...Boss, Rocktron surf Trem. Search them out used or new. Mount them on a plywood board and you are golden.... Multi-effects seem to always be a compromise for me. You did say poor man's....so that's my suggestion for you to consider.
    Barnzy