Poor Man's ES-335--Any Suggestions???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rdamato, Apr 19, 2008.

1. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

If this has been covered, I apologize in advance. As the title states, I'm looking for a 335 type guitar that won't set me back a couple of grand.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron

2. gitman

gitman Member

be patient and look for either one of these :
    Ibanez AS-50, AS-100, AS-200
    Yamaha SA-1000, SA-1200, SA-1800, SA-2000
    all really good instruments, great build quality and a great bang-for-the-buck ! all can be found between $ 750 and 1300.
    a Heritage might be a contender when you find a good deal- they are out there, probably not below a grand though.
    i found an Ibanez AS-50 in january, put in a set of WCR Darkburst pups and
    it's a definite keeper - i leave my vintage Gibbo at home.

3. ultra

ultra Member

Go for a Tokai ES130..... vintage spec and sounds sweet.

[​IMG]

4. TK LP

TK LP Member

How about a 333? Great bang for the buck!

[​IMG]

5. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Es-333

[​IMG]

6. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Ibanez AS83. Swap out the pickups and you are good to go.

7. JTC

JTC Member

8. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

These are not easy to find. Epiphones were made in Japan somewhere between 1972 and 1983. Before 1976, they were bolt ons. They used the Riviera name. They came with full humbuckers. From what I've been able to find out, the late 70s were set necks with the Riviera Frequensator tailpieces - that's what I have. The early 80s apparently had stoptails.

I found the neck pup nice, but the bridge was rather trebley and thin. I had them replaced with Gibson Classic '57s. The bridge is a plus and was a definite improvement. The '57 neck pup is even better now. I paid $450 Cdn ( that was when it was low ~ $.82). It was my first guitar after quiting for almost 30 years. I ended up needing a fret dressing, etc. so the price did climb. But it does quite well.

[​IMG]

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ibanez Artcore AS 73 if you're really poor. With a pickup swap it is a great guitar. I had one which I swapped out all the electronics and put a Bigsby on. It was great but I sold it to buy something else. Dumb.

10. odourboy

odourboy Member

Maybe this is too obvious... but have you considered an Epiphone dot? They are so inexpensive that you can afford to do some upgrades (Gibson '57 humbuckers, Switchcraft switch, maybe a bone nut) and have a pretty fair guitar for maybe $650-$700.

11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A used Heritage H-535 can often be had for under a grand. Their consistency can be spotty but if you latch onto a good one, it'll be better than a 335.

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Aria Pro II, made in Japan. These were made in the 80's. Had one and sold it about a year ago. The stock pups are awesome. Usually find them for about $350-$400. Set neck, all the goodies.

13. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Another good choice.

14. drunkenguitar

drunkenguitar Supporting Member

Get a Guild Starfire IV.
    [​IMG]

15. anibas

anibas Member

The korean-made Hamer Echotone is usually a nice a guitar,esp. considering the $250 to $350 they generally go for.I haven't tried the newer ones,so I can't comment.Just about every other suggestion made is valid,but if you can get one of the Heritage versions at a right price,it would be hard to top,IMO.Good luck with the search,rdamato.

16. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Find yourself and old Sheraton. It'll give you the 335 vibe...

17. rev156

rev156 Member

check out the Hagstrom Viking line. Some very nice options. $550 CAN.
    Cheers

18. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Check out these guys who sell Custom Guitar Workshop products on eBay Australia. They do sell overseas I believe. I've bought 8 guitars from them and they're all killer. They're usually made of good woods, play great and have excellent GFS pickups and electronics. This one is $590 Australian = less in US dollars. The listings are long so see: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CS-350-CUSTO...33034QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Here's some pics from the listing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pennylink

pennylink Member

If you don't want to wait for an 80's MIJ guitar that checks all the right boxes you owe it to yourself to try a Yamaha SA2200. It's not exactly dirt cheap (around $1,500 new I think), but it has all the 335 sound and vibe, combined with better build quality and finish compared to a non-custom shop Gibson. The neck with ebony board is incredibly smooth and comfortable and it has versatility to spare thanks to the split coils.

Another strong contender is the MIJ/CIJ Tokai ES120 or ES130. Edwards also makes a really nice semi-hollow.

To the suggestions already made I would also add a used Hamer Newport or Hofner Verithin. Some people also like their Washburn HB35.

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

If you MUST buy new, the Hagstroms are the way to go cheap.

A used Heritage is what I'd get. I have NOT found their workmanship inconsistent at all (I've owned two), but they are better made than Gibsons I think. WONDERFUL guitars.