1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's SM57?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by atomheartmother, Jan 19, 2006.

1. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

Is there a cheaper instrument mic that is decent? I'm looking to spend $30, new or used.

Also, does anyone know if I can use this Shure mixer to run into my computer to amplify the mic?

http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/m68.pdf

2. Antero

Antero Member

Dude, an SM57 is already a poor man's everything else. :p If you want to record guitar and make it sound good, you're gonna have to be willing to part with at least enough cash for an SM57.

3. fyler

fyler Member

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

A used SM-57.

Seriously, cough up, what else can you spend $40 on, and use for the rest of your life?

LOudboy

5. atomheartmother

Well, if I can get one for $40, I'd take it. But it's not like I'm trying to set up a studio or anything. Every other component in my recording process is crappy, so why spend a bunch on a nice mic. Also, are vocal mics bad for recording guitar? For example, would an SM58 be bad for mic'ing a cab for recording? I'll just be recording a cab by itself, one track at a time with nothing else going on.

6. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

7. neve1073

neve1073 Member

an sm58 will be just fine for you

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

This has got to be the most bizarre question I've read in a long time. The "cheapest, most awesomest preamp" queries are at least plausible.

Dude, how did you buy a computer?

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I think SM57s go for around $60 right?

10. atomheartmother

I don't see what you don't understand. Perhaps if you took your head out of your ass for five consecutive seconds, you wouldn't be so dumbfounded. But I guess that is how some people are.

Anyway, I'm not looking for a professional studio thing here. Everything else in the recording process is crap, so I don't see the point in spending a ton more on a mic that might sound marginally better. I only want a mic to make diddly little recordings to put together a decent guitar book for my sister who is learning to play (I haven't found a beginner guitar book that I think approaches beginning guitar well). She's not going to give a **** if I have perfect tone or anything.

Back to my most recent question: Will vocal mics work well for micing cabs and acoustic guitars? I'm looking at this Behringer mic that is a dirt cheap copy of the SM58. Since it get's rave reviews and I've had positive experiences with Behringer gear in the past, I'm thinking about gettings this mic. What are the main differences between vocal and instrument mics?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Microphones/Wireless?sku=270490

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

If quality doesn't matter at all .. if you have a laptop use the laptop mic.
    Vocal vs. Instrument Mics have different bandwith / response curves to either favor the vocal range or instrumental range. Again for your purpose that wont matter much either.
    Behringer .. in general is junk but once in a while you'll find something that actually works.

12. atomheartmother

Well, quality does matter somewhat. It doesn't have to sound professional, but I don't want it to sound like crap either.

Finally, what's the deal with Hi Z versus Lo Z? I need a XLR (female) to 1/4 (male) cable (with 1/8" adapter) to run from the Shure mixer to the sound card on my computer. Does it matter if the cable is Hi Z or Lo Z?

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Oh, well that changes everything.

14. justicetones

justicetones Member

+1 no other options worth even mentioning.....

15. neve1073

neve1073 Member

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

17. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Nice

18. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Funny, but pretty harsh. Perhaps if you read over the comment, and actually applied it to your apparently silly question, you will see that what he meant was that you usually get what you pay for when buying mics, and that the possibility of a cheap awesome preamp is more plausable than a cheap awesome mic.

Now your 'funny' quip just makes you look like a jack-arse. Be nice and maybe people will continue answering your thread questions.

FWIW, I found a beat up Peavey mic once that cost me $30. Go to your local music shop and look in the bargain bin...

19. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

I don't find that funny, I find it pointlessly rude.