Poorly recorded albums...post em up and say why.

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by vr6pilot, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Mahavishnu Orchestra, Birds of Fire, always seemed a bit muffled to me. :confused

mattjayworker likes this.
  2. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

I am surprized more people don't add to this thread. There have been many really castrated recordings due to bad decisions.
    And I insist that someone, somewhere figure out how to un-do the crap they did to 90125. Such great songs such great performances. The sound is, however ALWAYS sounding "forced" and 2D. Thing is: I know those synths, samplers and sounds..Alan white never sounded that thin! Chris Squire always was more dynamic than that! Help!

3. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

The 13thFloor Elevators albums, although I’m not sure wether a cleaner sound might diminish their atmosphere .

4. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

The first Aerosmith album was horribly recorded.

GtrGeorge!, pepedede and Luke Gibson like this.
  5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Interesting. I have a good system. And mine still has a “digitally recorded and digitally mastered” sticker on it.

6. Alvis

Alvis Member

Interesting ,it's my favorite
    What's missing for you ?

7. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

Growing up in Winnipeg, BTO was required listening. I've always thought a lot of BTO's songs had terrible recording quality, primarily with drums.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

[​IMG]

some of the songs on this album were spot on, like the title track
    others suffered from a horrible production, like Trashed:

I think he had used a Steinberger on that album:

[​IMG]

sahhas likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Read Bob's story on this:

https://www.bobdaisley.com/interview/website

"In 2002 the Osbournes went to the trouble of taking the original tapes of 'Blizzard' and 'Diary' into the studio and re-recording Lee's and my performances with other musicians."

From what I've read there, it was a fight over royalties that got those two albums re-mastered.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    pepedede likes this.
  10. alivegy

alivegy Member

I love the music on pearl jams avocado album. Unfortunately it is so hyper compressed that it is exhausting to listen to and I just can’t do it. It makes a whisper sound like a scream.

11. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

That rare quality of piercing mud. The guitars sound strangled, drums ain't the best, next door to trashcans. The mix is murky. Love the tunes, love the performance. Hate the sound.

12. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I find Avocado much more palatable than Backspacer, which is a muddy cloudy mess afaic. A shame and a sham that they claim to care so much. I love most of their albums but none of their albums are top of the heap from a sound quality perspective.

Not a fan of lo fi recordings so some things like Tennessee Fire from My Morning Jacket and Dr. Dogs early albums I struggle to really delve into.

13. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The CD release version of Dire Straights, Alchemy, horrid thin treble. The L.P.s are so much better.

14. McStrats

McStrats Member

Most of 80's Brit Pop stuff sounds artificial. It's too bad because great players like Pino Palladino were integral, but anything remotely organic sounding was stripped out. I can think of about 20 songs from George Michael, Alison Moyet, Paul Young...that would have been much better songs if they were recorded 10 years prior.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  15. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

How about Angst by Chrome Molly?

Coulda been a pretty good metal album but the production, esp the vocals, echh!

Guitar sounds like it's down at the end of the hall.

16. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I spun Joe Pass' "Virtuoso" album on vinyl a couple of days ago and though the playing is stellar, I noticed how poor the recording was. Lots of extraneous thumps from his arm or hand on the guitar as well as his foot tapping. Granted, I'm sure that the recording was done cheaply and quickly as he probably just went in and did his thing n a day or two and that was that, but it can be slightly annoying to listen to.

17. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Back whenever it was, I bought 'Cantamos' by Poco, which was released in the UK on very lightweight vinyl. The hiss was very apparent; whether that was the vinyl, the recording (very compressed), or whatever, I have no idea, but it sounded bad.

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

See, for me that just adds to the human experience. I have an Oscar Peterson recording in which you can hear his piano stool creaking and him quietly mumbling away to himself. I don't want recordings polished and 'perfect', and extraneous noises are just fine with me. You would hear stuff like that in concert, so why not in a studio recording?

19. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I had listened to the album many times and never noticed these things and normally wouldn't bother me, but they seemed quite pronounced. I just realized that when I listened to it this time I had a powered sub on. I think the thumping and arm noise was accentuated by the sub making these noises pop out in the mix.

20. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

Rock and Roll Over by Kiss
    Sounds like a cassette 4 track, and not in a good way

chillybilly likes this.