popping/clipping noise at higher volumes, please help!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stratabastard, May 22, 2015.

1. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Greetings and salutations fellow music humans, longtime lurker... first need to post about a problem here. I love this page and y'all have great advice that has helped me a lot in the past! So my current dilemma is confusing me a lot as I don't know whether it's a problem with my amp, cab or pedal board, maybe you can help me narrow it down! So I play guitar through a bass amp....why? because I enjoy messing with a variety of octave/sub effects and have kind of gotten to be a makeshift bassist in my band. I have an Aguilar tone hammer 500 running into an ancient peavey 1x15 with no info whatsoever other than the Ohm rating. Right now In my pedalboard I'm running a Cioks dc10 powering from in to out: korg tuner, Crybaby 535q, Xotic sp compressor, Boss OC-3, Sans amp Paradriver, Fulltone secret freq, Hartman crystal valve silicon fuzz, boss DD-3 then out to the amp. I find that with the compressor and sansamp on I get a cracking, popping, clipping horrible sound that comes when I palmmute the low e especially, and only really at higher volumes. The light on the tone hammer for clipping comes on even though I have the gain set close to none and the master at half way up. I tried playing through my amp dry and it hasn't done it yet.... Are my pedals driving the amp too much? Should I try like turning down the output a ton on my pedals? or is there another solution/problem at hand? Or is my speaker maybe incapable of handling the tone hammer's wattage? Help me identify the culprit! it's driving me nuts! Also sorry I know this is the amp forum and I have stuff about pedals but....I figured one of you would know! THANX!

2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

May be the speaker flapping around; what cab is it in?
    Consider trying it through a different cab, eg a closed back 4x12 with heavy duty speakers such as Celestion G12K-100.

3. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that might be the issue. because it sounds like speaker fart...when I play low notes it just pops at the start of my attack especially on lower notes, sounds like it just got kicked in the nuts for a second and clips/pops but then goes back to normal when I'm not picking, so it's really only on my pick attack that I get the problem. I've been looking at aguilar cabs to match my tone hammer but theyre so damn expensive

4. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Oh and sorry it's going thru a peavey 1x15 from the 80's...it's the right ohm rating and it never failed me before at higher volumes :/

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

But that doesn't mean speakers not on it's way out, as you said, you really don't know what power rating of speaker is.

6. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Ah ok...I was under the impressions speakers either worked or didn't, but can they have slow degradation as well???

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Certainly, if say that speaker is only rated at 500w and your using 500w amp and pummel it hard for a couple years that speaker could easily be ready give up the ghost. Don't know what kind of vol you crank that head up to but I'd would at least have 700w of power handling in the speakers for that head. When you push speaker to their limits, they get hot, when they get hot the internal parts will slowly start degrading and eventually fail.

8. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Thanks DaveKS!!! Great info. I run the amp at half master volume and the clipping light still comes on a lot..I don't really understand the point of the volume knob being able to go to ten if it breaks up at 5...I think I'm going to try adding a aguilar gs212 cab which is rated at 600w to the amp and see if this gives me the headroom I crave and puts to rest the horrible popping/clipping problem :/ what do you think? do you think running all these gain pedals IE: sansamp/ compressor/fuzz is just pushing the tone hammer too much since its not used to that heavy of midrange going on? since it's a bass amp?

9. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

also DaveKS : You really think 700W is a minumum I should go for? I figured the 600W available in the GS212 would suffice, but what's your opinion?

10. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

I forgot to mention that I just tried my pedalboard through another amp/cab: Ashdown Rootmaster420 through matching ashdown410. And I have run into the same popping/clipping at higher volumes!!! :( it seems my vu meter on the head goes into the red a lot too....What can I do to get better headroom/no clipping short of replacing my entire setup??? Could I maybe try messing with my board and the pedals individual outputs to try and match them all better? I'm at a loss here....

11. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Wondering if you might need to go through every piece of your signal chain one by one. I had to do that with my guitar rig to find a problem. Triple check all your patch cords. What happens when you plug straight into the amp?

Oops, re read it. Probably in your pedals is my guess. Are you setting your signal to unity before it hits the front of the amp?

12. Moddjobbs

Moddjobbs Member

Given your description of the setup and symptom, you most likely are overdriving the input of your amp(s)

Something/things in your pedal chain is set too hot. If the signal is clipping/or on the edge of clipping before it gets to the head, the amp is going to do its job and amplify what you're putting into it; in this case, a clipped signal when you dig in. You don't want to be clipping on the head with your input gain almost all the way down as mentioned In your post.

Here's a tip:
    (First off, if you're not already, Try pushing in the -20db pad above the input and see if that improves your situation)

Put all of your pedals in bypass and run them into your Aguilar. Run the gain up on your head and see if you can get a better input signal.

From there, bring the pedals in one by one and note the difference in gain/volume. I'd be willing to bet you're going to notice one if not multiple that are gained up quite a bit more than they need to be for your setup! :)

13. stratabastard

stratabastard Member

Thanks for the replies! So kcprogguitar and moddjobbs, I went through my chain as you said, and I think the input is getting overdriven as you mentioned. I haven't had time to go through each pedal one by one bringing the gain up but I will do so asap! what i did do and find is that running the Sansamp para driver close to the end right before the DD-3 kind of like a post/final EQ or amp sim instead of up front like the manual and everyone else seems to do. Anyway I got much better results! for some reason my distortions and fuzzes had been almost stifled by the sansamp runnning before them...I don't know why but now they actually can breathe and sound transparent and full like normal....also the noise floor was lessened and I haven't run into the dreaded popping/clipping sound yet.. I did turn down my levels on the pedals but haven't done the diagnostic style, gain on amp then pedals individually like you said, but I'm anxious to try that and see if I can get things to blend even better, with less noise and more tone! THANX all again! Let me know if you have any more tips/questions!