Popping/crackling sound in DRRI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cez1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. cez1

cez1 Member

I bought the amp used in the summer and its been great until today at rehearsal, where I noticed an intermittent popping/crackling sound. At first I thought it was the jack on my Tele, but then I plugged in my Strat and got the same results. Can't hear it when I'm playing and there's no other obvious problems (that I can tell at least).

So, is it a loose/bad tube, or something worse? Anything I should check before I send it off to be serviced?

Advice and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Cez

2. Dewey Cox

Dewey Cox Member

Check the power tubes, you may have a bad one. I have a DRRI and the last time it was making those noises you described it was a bad power tube. If one is glowing brighter than the other its a likely a bad tube and you should replace them both. Good luck!

3. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Ding ding ding!

4. HughesP

HughesP Member

Most likely a powertube, but if that doesn't fix it, then it is likely one of the 12ax7 tubes.

A simple way of checking before you replace any tubes would be to pull V1, turn on the amp and see if it still makes the crackling noise (make sure you let the amp warm up enough). If it does, then V1 isn't your problem tube. Next turn off the amp and pull V2 and again turn on the amp and wait to see if there is a problem... then repeat pulling V3. If it is still making the sound then you can be almost certain that it is the power tubes. Replace the two of them with a new matched set. Don't go pulling one of the power tubes to see if the other is bad.

However, if at any time pulling one of the other tubes gets rid of the crackling/popping, then you have identified that as the bad tube and only have to replace it.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Power tubes?! Anything is possible but 90% of the time it would be a preamp tube.

When it happens again see if either volume control as any effect...same for the reverb control. If the normal channel volume affects the noise level try replacing the V1 12AX7 (furthest right when facing the back of the amp), if the tremolo channel volume control affects it try replacing V2 (second from the right when facing the back of the amp). This is not surefire, but it's a place to start.

Get back to us with your findings.

6. cez1

cez1 Member

Thanks for all the responses!

I spent an hour with the amp tonight at home trying to recreate the popping sound, but I couldn't.

I checked all the tubes to make sure they were secure before I plugged in the amp. Then I plugged it in and set the knobs to where I was playing it yesterday. I plugged in both my Tele and Strat and played for a while adjusting the volume, reverb and trem. I also check both inputs and channels to make sure and nothing, no popping or cracking.

Now I'm still a little worried. Could there have been a problem with the power at the rehearsal place? Will this reappear? I have a gig next week and would hate to have this amp crap out on me in the middle of a set.

Any suggestions or extra precautions I should be taking? Should I get it serviced/retubed anyway?

Cheers,
    Cez

7. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it's tube related. Sounds like a bad solder joint to me. Try knocking on the amp in certain spots around the chassis area and see if that exaggerates it. It can be an intermittent problem. You'd hear some fuzzy crackling, if the makes sense. It would likely be exaggerated, like a burst of thunder, with the tapping.

8. cez1

cez1 Member

I'll try that out tomorrow (family is all asleep right now) and report back. If it is a loose wire/connection how do you go about tracking it down?

9. cez1

cez1 Member

Nope, no more sounds. No more worries?

10. LPVM

LPVM Member

Maybe not. A loose preamp tube or bad connection at the socket due to the socket being dirty will do that too. Many times all you need to do is pull a tube and reinsert it and it will go away. I just experiences the eact same thing and when I looked I noticed I had a preamp tube that had worked it's way loose and wasn't seated in the socket correctly. I pulled it and reinserted it and the poping and static is gone. Always start with the simplest things because often the problen is there.