• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Popping pedals..

I'm having popping sounds from all my pedals, even tho I'm powering them with a Cioks DC-7. I Even tested running most of them on batteries and it didnt help, so its not the power supply.
Its quite annoying because when I turn on something like an overdrive while having a reverb on, the pop slams the Reverb effect so you get Reverb on the pop.
I've tried alot of things, but nothing seems to work. (Changing amps, guitars, plugging them in one by one, change room, I even went AS far as going to a friends house and it worked perfectly. The only thing I didnt do was change the jacks, but these are literally brand new.)
The ONLY ones that does not do this are the ones that are buffered.

Any suggestions?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having popping sounds from all my pedals, even tho I'm powering them with a Cioks DC-7. I Even tested running most of them on batteries and it didnt help, so its not the power supply.
Its quite annoying because when I turn on something like an overdrive while having a reverb on, the pop slams the Reverb effect so you get Reverb on the pop.
I've tried alot of things, but nothing seems to work. (Changing amps, guitars, plugging them in one by one, change room, I even went AS far as going to a friends house and it worked perfectly. The only thing I didnt do was change the jacks, but these are literally brand new.)
The ONLY ones that does not do this are the ones that are buffered.

Any suggestions?
This is a common topic here. Go to Google and search “gearpage popping”.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
If the buffered ones are not popping but the TBs are, then one of the BUFFERED pedals is outputting a DC offset (most likely).

Tho I started a 'pedal noise' thread for the general discussion of these kinds of things, it never got much traction:

So, since folks don't want to believe me, please consider Jack DeVille, who really knows his **** :

@fuzz guy gave you the PG-version... Jack pulls no punches.
Whichever version you prefer, you can't go wrong between the two of them!

If the buffered ones are not popping but the TBs are, then one of the BUFFERED pedals is outputting a DC offset (most likely).

Tho I started a 'pedal noise' thread for the general discussion of these kinds of things, it never got much traction:

So, since folks don't want to believe me, please consider Jack DeVille, who really knows his **** :

Well. But then its kinda weird that it happens when I plug them in alone straight into the amp aswell.

Gotcha, that rules out the amp then... I just re-read your OP and you say that everything worked perfectly at your friend's place?
Yes...At his place through his amp tho. But everything except the amp was my gear.
His amp is similar to mine tho. I got the Marshall DSL40C. He got the CR...

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Well. But then its kinda weird that it happens when I plug them in alone straight into the amp aswell.
It could be your AMP is outputting the DC-level.
That would be a problem, too.

At your friend's house, did you use your amp, or theirs?
If their amp was ok, then look at yours.

It could also be a floating ground problem in your house.

It could be your AMP is outputting the DC-level.
That would be a problem, too.

At your friend's house, did you use your amp, or theirs?
If their amp was ok, then look at yours.

It could also be a floating ground problem in your house.
Like I said earlier. I tried with 4 different amps in my place. I doubt that all of them is outputting DC.
Then Its more likely to be a ground problem in ny house, I recon

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Like I said earlier. I tried with 4 different amps in my place. I doubt that all of them is outputting DC.
Then Its more likely to be a ground problem in ny house, I recon
If multiple amps and multiple pedals are causing it, and if you've swapped out ALL cables (bad ground there could do it)
then it is time to consider that ground isn't held very tightly...

Just out of curiosity, do you live in a VERY dry area, like AZ, NM, CA ?
Years back, we chased a communications problem from one side of a chip-fab building to the other... it turned out that the "stakes in the ground"
were reading about 5 volts different... there was a voltage change in the GROUND underneath them.
.... Cheap b****rds didn't even pay for our help over the phone.\

If multiple amps and multiple pedals are causing it, and if you've swapped out ALL cables (bad ground there could do it)
then it is time to consider that ground isn't held very tightly...

Just out of curiosity, do you live in a VERY dry area, like AZ, NM, CA ?
Years back, we chased a communications problem from one side of a chip-fab building to the other... it turned out that the "stakes in the ground"
were reading about 5 volts different... there was a voltage change in the GROUND underneath them.
.... Cheap b****rds didn't even pay for our help over the phone.\
No. I live in Norway.
I don't think thats the problem either, because I asked an electrician about it, and he said the grounding was just fine...
Like I stated. The ONLY thing I havent checked are the damn jacks, but those are just a couple weeks old, so its kinda weird if they crap out on me already

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
OK... on the coastline, or inland?
Salt-air corrosion can build up on connectors, and dissimilar metals (in contact via an electrolyte) can generate a DC voltage between 0.2 ans 2.3 volts (iirc).
BUT, I wouldn't expect corrosion to behave differently at one house vs another.
In the US, we can get a product called CAIG De-Oxit, which can help remove corrosion products. I would NOT spray it into a pedal as it can soften certain materials (usually related to a poly-foil capacitor).
It's worth a try.

Aside from that, there is one more thing....
Some cables use polypropylene(PPL) as their dielectric (not outer insulator), and there's a well-known piezo-like effect that can happen when PPL is bent, flexed or compressed.
But I think you mentioned that you had tried different cables... by any chance, can you borrow a different brand cable from a friend?

Oh yeah, and if you are building your own cables, make sure you stripped back and thin, conductive "rubber" layer so it is not near the connections.
If it makes intermittent contact, it will cause a popping sound.

I'm starting to run down to the end of my 'typical cause list'.
Hopefully, something will sound familiar.
I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
OK... on the coastline, or inland?
Salt-air corrosion can build up on connectors, and dissimilar metals (in contact via an electrolyte) can generate a DC voltage between 0.2 ans 2.3 volts (iirc).
BUT, I wouldn't expect corrosion to behave differently at one house vs another.
In the US, we can get a product called CAIG De-Oxit, which can help remove corrosion products. I would NOT spray it into a pedal as it can soften certain materials (usually related to a poly-foil capacitor).
It's worth a try.

Aside from that, there is one more thing....
Some cables use polypropylene(PPL) as their dielectric (not outer insulator), and there's a well-known piezo-like effect that can happen when PPL is bent, flexed or compressed.
But I think you mentioned that you had tried different cables... by any chance, can you borrow a different brand cable from a friend?

Oh yeah, and if you are building your own cables, make sure you stripped back and thin, conductive "rubber" layer so it is not near the connections.
If it makes intermittent contact, it will cause a popping sound.

I'm starting to run down to the end of my 'typical cause list'.
Hopefully, something will sound familiar.
I wish you the best of luck.
I really appreciate your effort to help me man. I will get back at it when I'm home again!

fuzz guy

Thanks for that, I like that one better, I'm updating my bookmark. :beer

ultrasun

Here's a good link.

I think this might have been answered already somewhere, but it's easier to ask here:
I have a popping sound with my DBA echo dream 2: it is very loud the first time I stomp on it after plugging the pedalboard in, and then it's quieter, but still there, and the popping sound is of course delayed and enhanced by any fx placed after the echo dream...
Does anyone know the answer to this problem and what mod should be done?
Thanks a million...

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
I think this might have been answered already somewhere, but it's easier to ask here:
I have a popping sound with my DBA echo dream 2: it is very loud the first time I stomp on it after plugging the pedalboard in, and then it's quieter, but still there, and the popping sound is of course delayed and enhanced by any fx placed after the echo dream...
Does anyone know the answer to this problem and what mod should be done?
Thanks a million...
Looking at a (questionable) schematic, I'd first guess that EITHER
- the input cap to the DBA is leaking a little DC back upstream (less likely)
- OR the ouput AC coupling cap is leaking DC.... it's a 1 uF which I'm going to assume is an electrolytic (which is more likely to leak).

It could also be a poor ground within the pedal.

BUT, since the POP is getting repeated, then it may well be on the input side (or the ground).

EDIT does it have tails (ie buffered bypass)?

EDIT 2 does this happen in the minimal configuration (guitar > pedal > amp?)
Very important to check, as sometimes the popping pedal is NOT the one with the DC offset problem.

Last edited:

Trending Topics